Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2743, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     
Default Paint Protection System

Has anyone used Venture Shield paint protection?

www.ventureshield.com

I'm about to take ownership of a new Superformance MKIII and am looking for some help in choosing a film system to protect the front end and the front side of the rear fenders.

It's my understanding the 3M bought this company a few months ago and they claim to have a very good product.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I have the 3M stuff on my SPF and love it. Spend the bucks and have a professional do the job right.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

You might want to take a look at this stuff.

http://armorcoat.armorauto.com/

I know a couple guys that had it applied to their Dodge SRT/10 pickups and loved it.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Undecided, 289
Not Ranked     

Head over to this web site: http://www.autobody101.com/forums/ .

Lots of info on paint and technique over there.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Paint Protection System .... ArmorAuto!!

Hammer, I had the ArmorAuto system installed on my SPF several months ago. I had the 3M film on, and was very disappointed in it. It had way to many cuts. I purchased a pre cut 3M kit and had a 3M distributor do the install. I worked Ok but the edges started to weaken and edge peel, kid of hard to describe. I had it removed and all of the rock chips repaired as well as the holes that were drilled in the fenders for that worthless mirror. I now use a raydot mirror!!! I have added several images in my gallery so you can see how far up the hood area I had ArmorAuto installed. Depending on what your local body shop would charge to do the install the product was only $150 compared to $265 for the 3M film only. I also contacted them several time to talk to them, they also contacted my painter to insure he knew how to handle the install. So far so good. I actually like the look. It feels like the film but no cuts and piecing together around curves and valleys.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     

Or do what I'm doing and get a brushed alum body!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I went with the 3M stuff on my SPF. I agree with emberglo66 that there are a few edges that aren't perfect, but overall I like it. I was told that the 3M installs on Cobras and Jag XJs are the toughest to work on. BTW - I think the 3M stuff with install runs $700 to $800.

Emberlo66 - Any damage or paint issues when you removed the 3M stuff?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-24-2008, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

Hammer - I bought a roll of 48" x 24" Venturshield from Sticker City. I cut out templates for the rear fender flares based on my buddies SPF who had 3M on from the dealer. I applied using one spray bottle with the soap solution and one spray bottle with the alcohol solution. They came out perfect and we could not tell the difference between the dealer applied versus mine. I did not use a teflon squeegee (used a microfiber towel). It cost me $40. I am not sure i would undertake the front myself.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2743, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     
Default Paint Protection System

Thanks all.

VentureShield has templates designed for the Factory Five and I suspect that the install can be made without any seams. The Superformance Dealer is also a VentureShield franchisee. I encouraging them to apply the film to one of the other MKIII chassis they have in stock as a demo.

Any additional thoughts, comments etc are welcome.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
You might want to take a look at this stuff.

http://armorcoat.armorauto.com/

I know a couple guys that had it applied to their Dodge SRT/10 pickups and loved it.
+1

There was a really good rundown on Dream Car Garage last year about this stuff. Used it on a road race car that used to use up a paint job per race. After the ArmorCoat the car ran a bunch of races and came back looking nearly new. Pretty impressive stuff and it has no edges where the protection ends like the films.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

I've had Invinca-Shield on the nose and front of the rear fenders on my ERA for almost 4 years and am very pleased with it's performance. Had the product installed by one of their recommended installation providers.
On discussing it with other folks who've had like products installed, by and large they all recommend having a professional with a good track record install it. You might check with you're local Porche folks to find one. They use this type of product quite a bit.
DonC
Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

Got The Bug, There was not issues with removing the 3M product, peeled right off except were rocks had impacted with the 3m film the paint did come with it. the film just kept the paint in place were a chip would have been. So far 650 miles and not a mark... but the windshield, thats a different story.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF-2659/Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

A lot of guys in the Porsche community like Venture Shield a lot and have had their 3M stuff removed. I haven't seen anyone with armor coat yet.