Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   1965 Sunbeam Tiger after 40 years off road (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/90703-1965-sunbeam-tiger-after-40-years-off-road.html)

SUNBEAMTIGER65 08-27-2008 05:34 PM

1965 Sunbeam Tiger after 40 years off road

If you like AC Cobras you may like this video of my father starting his Sunbeam Tiger after nearly 40 years off the road. My father bought the Sunbeam brand new in 1965 off the showroom floor. The dealer stated that it was the featured in the New York auto show that year. Vehicle is original black color with tan interior. My father and I retored it...took quite some time but turned out great. Enjoy the video and please post comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey1dYiSDBZw

Tim Brewer 08-27-2008 08:51 PM

Wow, that's a real sharp car, something to be proud of for sure.

RodKnock 08-27-2008 09:44 PM

I sold my '66 Tiger in order to get my Kirkham, but I do want another one someday. The black paint looks beautiful.

Ron61 08-28-2008 03:30 AM

:)

Great car. I wish I had bought one back when I was younger. You did a great job on it.

Ron :)

427 S/O 08-28-2008 04:37 AM

Cool........

Jay Little 08-28-2008 05:32 AM

Nice!!!!!!

cobrajeff 08-28-2008 06:21 AM

Tiger

Very SWEET! Had to be a great moment!

I've had a couple Tigers - they're a lot of fun.

What's that you're using in the carburetor? A tongue depressor or a shoe horn? :LOL:

Congratulations - nice job!

Jeff

Tinker51 08-28-2008 08:52 AM

What's the JAL number?

cobrakidz 08-28-2008 08:56 AM

I have had 4 tigers, after seeing this video I wonder why I ever got rid of them. Nice car, wish I had 1 of mine back.

SUNBEAMTIGER65 08-28-2008 02:26 PM

Authenticity

I wrote to Norm Miller who is the bearer of the Sunbeam Tiger Registry and provided him details on my dad's car...this is what he wrote back.

"I'm always amazed when cars like yours turn up. This is the first I've heard of its existence and I appreciate you taking the time to bring it to my attention."

The car had been in the garage for so long...he never knew of it's existance. This particular car was built in between a series of 10 right hand drive Tigers that stayed in England...gives some credence to the dealer saying it was used in the New York auto show. They probably pulled my dad's car out of the line, made it a left hand driver and sent it on it's way to the show. Very few (less than 130 Tigers) were made with this color combination...again gives some credence to the auto show story...nothing like a black on tan sports car with an American V-8!

RodKnock 08-28-2008 02:44 PM

Now you need to have it TAC'ed or authenticated by the Tiger Authentication Committee (TAC) in your area and get your certificate #.

Got the Bug 08-28-2008 02:58 PM

I've always liked and wanted to own a Tiger. I saw a clean black Tiger getting off of 237 in Mountain View a couple of weeks ago. An older guy was driving it...gave him a thumbs up and he had a wide grin.

RodKnock 08-28-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got the Bug (Post 874566)
I've always liked and wanted to own a Tiger. I saw a clean black Tiger getting off of 237 in Mountain View a couple of weeks ago. An older guy was driving it...gave him a thumbs up and he had a wide grin.

That sounds like the Sunbeam Tiger demographic. :LOL:

SUNBEAMTIGER65 08-28-2008 05:14 PM

Tac

TAC would be cool. Doesn't make much difference to my dad though. He is the original owner...with original paperwork from the dealership and a photo of him next to the car in his yard back in 1965...there is no TAC that can provide that type of authentication.

RodKnock 08-28-2008 05:22 PM

TAC is also an archive for research and posterity or if one day is it stolen and recovery is necessary. I'm sure Norm Miller would like to have the numbers/info on it. Either way, beautiful car!

SUNBEAMTIGER65 08-28-2008 05:28 PM

Mr. Miller has all the information on the car and it is published in the Registry. The vehicle is also listed in the Book of Norman...it's simplty not fully populated in the original text due to the book being dated. Mr. Miller just didn't know who owned it until I forwarded all the information to him. Now he knows the rest of the story...

olddog 08-28-2008 05:59 PM

I always thought of the Tiger as the Cobra's half brother. Hard not to appreciate both cars.

SUNBEAMTIGER65 08-29-2008 02:17 PM

Photos of my Dad's car 1965 and 2008

2 Attachment(s)
Check these photos out...

The first one is of my Dad in 1965 - when he first purchased the Tiger.

The second picture is of my Dad with his Tiger this year.

mickmate 08-29-2008 07:45 PM

That is the good stuff right there! It's as well it was stored for so long when you look at the rusty one next to it huh. I drove an Alpine with the 1725 Hillman (English Chrysler) dual Stromberg, electric overdrive on 3rd and 4th. I would definetely have bought it if it had that sweet small block set up. Jim Beals on here has one I hope he sees this thread. Good work, tell Dad enjoy!

Ozgur_Tan 08-31-2008 09:58 PM

great before/after pics
i've had sunbeam alpine mk.iv 17 years ago.
i would like to install 289cuin v8, but i've canceled plan and build cobra

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUNBEAMTIGER65 (Post 874929)
Check these photos out...

The first one is of my Dad in 1965 - when he first purchased the Tiger.

The second picture is of my Dad with his Tiger this year.