Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Kit car for larger guys

Can anyone recommend what cobra manufacturers are around that make a kit car for larger guys?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2689 Roush 427R TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Check out the SPF, 6'2" tall 207# and plenty of room to spare, my son is 6'6" and he fits fine, but I won't let him drive it!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Whate price range are SPF think they may be a little high for me. Any thoughts on Lonestar or Everrett Morison?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold Backdraft #488 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Newguy check out the Backdraft. Allot of leg room.Here is a Link to specs http://www.vintage-motorsports.com/backdraft/
Peter
Old 11-27-2008, 05:37 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

By all means check out SPF, I'm also 6'2" but am in the 280# range and SPFs do not fit. I even tried one with their "big guy" mods and it was a no go. I could've driven it but would have been very uncomfortable. Then I tried a Backdraft (BDR) owned by a guy bigger than me from here on CC (Thanks again ROUSHAC!) and there is no comparison. The extra couple of inches really make a difference. There are a few pics of mine in my gallery.

Steve
Old 11-27-2008, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

At 6'2" my Lonestar's leg room is very adequate. Also, with it's dropped floor pan I never find myself "looking over" the windshield. I've a long torso so this is extremely important in my case.

Dave
Old 11-27-2008, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks good information.

Steve any special mods on the BDR? Lookedat you pics some great ones. Is the shifter on the column in your BDR?

Dave how is the foot room in your lonestar, I got big feet!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
thanks good information.

Dave how is the foot room in your lonestar, I got big feet!

It fits my size 12s
Old 11-27-2008, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

Backdrafts are great cars for the money, I'm 6'3, 220, no fitment issues
Old 11-27-2008, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

Kirkham. I am 6'4", 240 lbs and fit fine.

I'm no expert.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The D&D Cobra have the most leg room for 90'' cobra period.

Don,
Old 11-27-2008, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I haven't had an opportunity to look at a D&D but I find it hard to believe that it has more cockpit and footbox room then my Chesnut Cobra. I'm 6'2" tall, weigh 230lbs, have 34 inch inseam and size 12.5 feet. My Cobra has a 90 inch wheelbase, my foot boxes are 15 inches tall and 16.5 inches wide at the pedals. If mounted in the furthermost possible position I can not reach the pedals! To see how I did it and to see my steel and aluminum space frame with all C5 Corvette suspension you can go to www.chesnutmotorsports.com.
I have an ad for my Cobra being designed for this site and hope to have it up and running next week.
Have fun checking out all of the offerings. Each has it's own unique attributes. It absolutely comes down to what you want out of your car. I built my kits for those that like me want a modern super car with the classic and accurate Cobra shape. By the way, if you can put it together yourself you don't have to spend anywhere close to 70K.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-427 stroker
Not Ranked     

Leg room??? I am 6'3" 290#. If you want room, go for a different car. I did achieve LOTS of room in my Contemporary Classic Cobra by removing the track that the seat rides on. I ended up going down 8" and back 8-9". LOTS of room now and all of my head is below the windshield. Get your seats made using high density foams and use your old seat covers. The foot box is another issue. I have size 14 shoe and bought the Simpson racing shoe as it has the smallest "footprint" of all the brands i researched. There appears to be some room to be gained by reconfiguring the foot box area and making the transmission tunnel closer to the transmission. I have a 427 which is very large but the smaller motors would afford more room if the modification was undertaken.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great info. Glad to know other big guys found a good fit. anyone been in and BDR and Lonestar know which has the most foot room and hip room? Any suggestions on suspension mods for heavier guys?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKIII, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I'm 6'6" and, sad to say, 280#. Size 15 shoe.

I'm a first time builder and chose FFR for a lot of reasons I won't get into here. But one of them is customization. You didn't say if building was an option but by doing some basic mods to a standard build I've gained ~4" of legroom. The first is a simple way to gain ~2" and, I would assume, could be done on any car. I have a Kirkey lowback seat mounted to the floor all the way back. The seat is made out of aluminum and is therefor very thin. For the add'l ~2" I bolted in a vendors adjustable Wilwood pedals and adjusted them all the way forward. Other comfort mods: I trimmed the brake pedal, got aftermarket driver's footbox aluminum and bent my throttle. I'm go-carting it now in tennis shoes, which is better than I had hoped for at the beginning of the build. I have some Simpson driving shoes and there is plenty of room with those on. I'm doing some add'l clutch foot mods as well; re-doing the footbox crash bar, which really doesn't work for us Sasquatch. Lastly, I'm also adding a dead-pedal.

BTW if you plan to buy something turn-key instead of building, you could always have a pro build it for you with those mods.

HTH,

Old 11-28-2008, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

I noticed when I took the daytona to A city close about 15 miles I wanted to stretch my legs and my left went under the clutch pedal to the end of the foot box,yea I dont like it . thats some good ideas on the pedal redo.I already have the willwood brake pedal all the way out and it helps 6-3 225 but to much of it in the legs keep those good ideas coming Thanks...WB3
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,