Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Polished Stainless Side Pipes (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/94826-polished-stainless-side-pipes.html)

Silverback51 02-15-2009 04:23 PM

Polished Stainless Side Pipes

I found some cracks in my stock SPF side pipes and the cost of fixing them and replacing the mufflers was almost as much as new pipes.

For those that have polished pipes, how do they hold up? Do they turn yellow or blue? I'm wondering if I should just have them ceramic coated before I even put them on.

The new pipes are from Stainless Specialties, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

John

FUNFER2 02-15-2009 04:48 PM

This is information I received from a SS pipe builder.

The reason for the cracking is most likely from not, supporting the side pipe enough. Make sure you have strong enough supports, and it won't happen. I'm surprised so many cobra owners have this problem. The pipes shake quite a bit so, support them like women with big Hooters. :LOL:

Also, fix the problem before you have them ceramic coated, or the cracks will only come back.

Ron61 02-16-2009 12:03 PM

I had polished stainless pipes on my Cobra when I had it and the only problem I ever had was the bend in the collector did turn blue as that was where the most heat concentrated. They do get very hot fast too.

Ron

CJ428CJ 02-16-2009 02:01 PM

I have stainless side pipes and mine have never turned blue. The do quickly gain a bronze tint to them. At first it kind of bugged me but now I like it for some reason. I can get rid of the bronze tint with a quick polish but it immediately comes back the next time I take it out on a road trip.

Other than the bronzing, they hold up quite well. No cracks or scratches or the like and this is after 6 years and about 25,000 miles.

Here's a view of mine so you can get an idea of the bronze coloring.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...98PICT0013.JPG

Chris

FUNFER2 02-16-2009 03:21 PM

I was told after they "heat cycle" they won't turn yellow or bronze ?
If they do, they are easily polished out ?
How hot do they get versus just ceramic coated steel ?

Learn me bro's. ;)
Kev

Silverback51 02-16-2009 03:23 PM

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

I think I will give them a try, and if I don't like them I will pull them off and have them ceramic coated.

Trueoo7 02-16-2009 04:21 PM

I have SS pipes and I was told the bigger the engine, the hotter it will run, so the more blue they will turn. I have a 302 bored out .30 over and I have a slight bronze - tanning effect as well that will polish out. About 5000 miles on mine.

ratsnst1 02-19-2009 09:03 PM

I had mine ceramic coated on the inside, as well as the out side, I know it sounds funny coating the inside, but when I got them back they never turned blue again , and as far as the cracking goes, all side pipes should have some kind of rubber isolater between the frame and the side pipe flanges.

FUNFER2 02-20-2009 04:06 PM

I'm getting a 50% number on owners if the stainless stains yellow and another 50% if they polish up well, and how long the shine lasts before polishing again. **):confused:

wideglidejoe 02-20-2009 05:53 PM

for whatever its worth, this is from an old biker (who still rides).......if the chrome head pipes on a motorcycle turn blue, it is too lean, and if they turn gold, it is rich. I don't know if that will apply to SS or not?!?!? Has anyone with blue or bronze tried to analyze the exhaust with an A/F ratio meter?

I've got the Gas'N SS pipes, but I'm still in the early stages of building, haven't fired it up yet.

TerrysSPF 02-22-2009 09:35 AM

Ceramic coat a set of SS pipes?:eek: -Say it ain't so!!!!:CRY:

Jerry Clayton 02-22-2009 10:17 AM

Terry

I agree with you---after building the ss headers, mergecollectors and side pipes for the 32 ford in my gallery---they had them powder coated with a silver colored stuff--after all the special one off , best of show type construction that I did for them, they powdered the exhaust!!!!!!

sparks 02-22-2009 03:20 PM

Has anyone tried the pipes that eric at performance eng. Makes...it is ss (muffler)and ceramic coated...$12oo w/ your old pipes ?????

Eljaro 02-23-2009 12:04 AM

I love the blue and gold color of my side pipes. They look nasty and bad. All race cars have colored exhausts, and a Cobra 427 is a race car, isn't it?

FUNFER2 02-23-2009 09:01 AM

Pure AMERICAN Muscle/Racing car !

Silverback51 02-28-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerrysSPF (Post 923314)
Ceramic coat a set of SS pipes?:eek: -Say it ain't so!!!!:CRY:

Okay Terry, you can relax. :D

They went on polished, and I will see how they hold up.

Pictures are not that great as it's cloudy today.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d.../DSC_00084.JPG http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d.../DSC_00103.JPG http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d.../DSC_00113.JPG

FUNFER2 02-28-2009 02:54 PM

OH MY GOD !! lol
How beautiful are those pipes !!! :3DSMILE:

I just email to you, we need to chat. :cool:

sparks 02-28-2009 02:55 PM

Which diam. pipes did you go with? Also, did you notice a diff. in sound ? I also am thinkin of changin pipes....

Silverback51 02-28-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparks (Post 925262)
Which diam. pipes did you go with? Also, did you notice a diff. in sound ? I also am thinkin of changin pipes....

The muffler is 20 inches long and has a 3.0 inch inside diameter.

At idle it's sounds much deeper. Normal driving it's a little louder, but not bad. However, at WOT, it's considerably louder, and my seat of the pants dyno is saying there is an increase in HP.:D

On a scale of 1 to 10, I will give them an 8. Maybe if I was not drinking it would be a 9.;) I had to do a little grinding at the flange welds to get them flush. They probably would have been fine, but I tend to be a perfectionist.:o

I would however recomend them to others.

sparks 02-28-2009 03:38 PM

what was the cost ? Eric at PE said he would make me a pair of stainless that is ceramic coated for 1200 plus my pipes...