17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-24-2009, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Which kit to go with?

New here, first post. I've wanted to build a Cobra since I was 10 years old and finally am ready to begin. So, who's kit to go with? I would never say money is no object but I don't want the cheapest option out there. Also I have never taken on a project like this but I am mechanically inclined just not experienced.
With that said any advice on who to chose and why?

Thx for any advice you can give.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

There must be a hundred posts on here that starts just like this one. Do some searches, it will be helpful.

Pardon my manors. Welcome to the insanity.

Your question is way too open, as different companies Cobra's are better suited to different uses.

What do you plan to do with the car? Race (drag, auto-X, road course)? Trailer to car shows? Cruise on the streets?

Which body style? FIA, 427.

How authentic do you want it? As close to origonal as possible? Couldn't care less?

Fiberglass body? Aluminum body? Kevlar? Carbon fiber?

Rear end? Jag IRS? Other IRS? 9" Ford? 8.8" Ford?

What engine do you want to use and why?

Then the size matters question, can you fit in a 90" wheel base car? Want floor pans dropped or wheel base stretched?

Right now is a buyers market. Consider buying a finished car. When I started, someone suggested that to me. I was dead set on building the car, but the best way to figure out what you like or dislike is to own one. I'm glad I bought the car already built. I would like to build one after I retire.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

X2.......

Bill S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
There must be a hundred posts on here that starts just like this one. Do some searches, it will be helpful.

Pardon my manors. Welcome to the insanity.

Your question is way too open, as different companies Cobra's are better suited to different uses.

What do you plan to do with the car? Race (drag, auto-X, road course)? Trailer to car shows? Cruise on the streets?

Which body style? FIA, 427.

How authentic do you want it? As close to origonal as possible? Couldn't care less?

Fiberglass body? Aluminum body? Kevlar? Carbon fiber?

Rear end? Jag IRS? Other IRS? 9" Ford? 8.8" Ford?

What engine do you want to use and why?

Then the size matters question, can you fit in a 90" wheel base car? Want floor pans dropped or wheel base stretched?

Right now is a buyers market. Consider buying a finished car. When I started, someone suggested that to me. I was dead set on building the car, but the best way to figure out what you like or dislike is to own one.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the madness!

There are so many pre-owned cars for sale right now, I think it would be hard to justify starting from scratch. That being said, I understand the hard coded DNA that requires the full Cobra build experience.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

If you can swing it, come to London, Ohio this Sat 27th. Best to be there by 9:00 AM. There will be about 200 Cobra there. $10 donation will get you an 1/8 mile burnout ride.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Log on to www.cobracountry.com and check out the used Cobras for sale. The wide range of prices and details might help you decide what you like. Remember, you get what you pay for. With that said, it's a buyers market and you can buy a car that would cost you nearly double to build.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

Remember most Cobra owners only know their car. All have their good and bad points. Twenty years ago I read about kit car companies ripping people off. It's still happening. Be careful during these hard times. Once good companies can become out of business companies overnight, and you could be supplying the money to pay for the last guys back ordered parts. If you build get the detail of every part that comes with the kit. Look into the quality of the parts. Is it coming from Taiwan or China? You can get taken advantage of with vague general statments like, "complete interior." Complete according to who!

The research is a lot of work and some of the information out there is not accurate. Be wise!

Good luck.
Wayne
Old 06-24-2009, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Bellamy.......welcome to the madness...........research(very important) do your research...get a subscripton to KIT CAR Builder magazine(can be found at most good book stores) chech your area for a Cobra club and go meet and ask questions of various owners about their different cars.no two Cobra manufacturers are the same(altho the cars look the same they arent) and the most important thing MONEY how much do you want to spend is different than what you can afford to spend set a limit and stick to it. do you really need chrome u joints(probably not but they look cool)you cant see them unless you turn the car up side down....most of all ...keep it simple(within your capabilities) if you dont know anything about fuel injection dont use it.dont let your dream turn into a nightmare.....good luck
Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BACKDRAFT
Send a message via AIM to SKINNEDR Send a message via Skype™ to SKINNEDR
Not Ranked     

I would recommend you look at the backdraft Replica. Quality for the price is the key....
http://www.vintage-motorsports.com/
Dexter
Old 06-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default There Should Be a New Rule...

You are allowed to introduce yourself, but before you are allowed to ask questions along the lines of "What Kit Should I Buy" or "Who Makes the Best Cobra for ____ Amount of Money" you must first have read at least 1,000 posts on this forum. Seriously -- and the reason for that "pledge" period is that 98% of the posters will never get their Cobra. They're better off using their time to chase a broad down to Argentina....
Old 06-25-2009, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Most of the kits manufactured today are pretty good. Just do some research.

Really, the only questions you need to ask yourself are these:

1) Do I actually have the motivation to build one complete? You will hardly ever get your money out of a partially completed Cobra.

2) Do I want to drive it now, or 3-4 years from now? If now, then just go up and look at the For Sale classifieds. You can pick up one pretty cheap these days and be driving it tomorrow. Again...just do your research.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2907 with a stroked genisis 427 side oiler and dual quads
Not Ranked     

SPF is the only way to go. Just add up the options of the others to make it like an SPF and you building the car for free and it won't be a nice.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'll save you some time and the research. Buy a Corvette, or better yet, buy a Copperhead Dodge Viper.

Just kidding. Inside joke. Patrick has done exhaustive research on this matter and I'm sure that's where the "98%" figure came from.

Good luck and please don't ask "what's the most 'authentic' replica?"

I'm here all week and please tip your waitresses.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BUy a used Cobra- you will never build one for the price of a used one with lot 's of extras- the first guy paid for. Try building a kit for the price of a Backdraft- you will spend more for less car.
just my 2 cents
joeg