Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD-SPO2660, Southern Automotive 406FE, TKO-600
Not Ranked     
Default PRO5.0 Shifter in SPF

I took delivery yesterday of my new ride and spent the afternoon "bonding" with it, especially the 2 hours spent under the Exxon station shelter waiting for the thunderstorm that wasn't supposed to happen to pass. At least the wife was a good sport about it! Yes, she participated in the bonding........

Anyway, one thing I noticed that I didn't care for was that the TKO-600 shifter doesn't work as smoothly as I would like. I used the Pro5.0 about ten years ago on a T3550 and really liked it. I notice they have one for the 600. Has anyone had any experience with the 5.0 and the 600, and, can it be changed out from the top in an SPF? I don't want to start disassembling things quite yet!! I did a search and didn't see this discussed.

Thanks! These cars are really awesome........I certainly see why there's the enthusiasm on this forum!! It's amazing the number of people that stopped to talk about the car while we were in our "rain delay".

Have fun and enjoy life, because when it is over, it is too late!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I don't care for the Pro 5.0 shifters in the TKO's or T-56's. I sell them along with McLeod, Hurst, and Steeda and the Pro 5.0's just don't have the same feel. Steeda seems to be the most popular for a TKO shifter. The Steeda Tri-Ax has adjustable stops and is spring loaded. It's $190 + shipping.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have heard good reviews of the Tri-ax. STEEDA has some good stuff, at least in the past, as I haven't dealt with him in 15 years! Dario and his guys did the complete suspension re-work in the 94 Mustang I had a long time ago. They also did the T3550 upgrade with the 5.0 for me. That was before they developed their shifter. The $64k question remains, can you change it from the top? That'll probably determine if I do anything with it soon!

Old 05-29-2010, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I believe that you can on an SPF. You have to pull the trans tunnel, but that would give you access to it.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

I have had the 5.0 on three SPFs including my current car with a TKO.

I like them.

E
Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Joe check this site out. They sell a magic lub for TKO's. I bought some a few years ago for a TKO, which I sold. I bought another qt last year for the new TKO 600 that I'm running.

I think it helps.

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...ltrashift.html

Dwight

P.S. Missed you at the car show today. It rained a little when we first got there but turned out to be a beautiful day.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Dwight, I have some items ordered from these folks, most of which I found out yesterday was backordered. I'll call them Tuesday and have them add a bottle.

Glad the show went well today! I just didn't want a repeat of yesterday's 2 hour rain delay adventure at Exxon, especially since typically I don't even use their fuel. Two days with the car and two days with rain. I did get out for a little while this afternoon between showers. The hour-by-hour weather channel forecast has become my friend!

Speaking of fuel, supposedly Phillips 66 doesn't have ethanol. There's a station about 4 miles from me and that's what I'm using. It doesn't have the sticker on the pump that my usual source has!

Old 05-30-2010, 06:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure you should usean additive to the trans oil until the trans is broken in?

I'm running a Steeda Tri Ax, I like it very much. Real easy to change from the top, but I hear pulling the trans cover on an SPF is quite a job. Something about the black goo they use to seal it to floor, nasty stuff.

My understanding on the TKO was that it has larger gears than a T5 or lesser horse power type trans. I would think this would be a factor in that it is going to be a different kind of feel, maybe harder if you would, than a typical five speed?

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-30-2010 at 06:19 AM..
Old 05-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile fuel

Joe,

I have a gas station about 4 miles from my shop that sell 93 without ethanol. There is another one at the state line in Tenn. There are two stations near Coach that sell non ethanol. But in Chattanooga over half the station have non ethanol. What up???

In the TKO line, the higher the torque rating, the better the bearings are.

Here is a link to Tremec

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/home/home.asp

Dwight
Old 05-30-2010, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
but I hear pulling the trans cover on an SPF is quite a job.
You "heard" wrong.

It's 4 bolts per seat, and both seats need to come out. The carpet needs to be pealed back around the tunnel to expose the allen head screws, and remove them. The tunnel can then be removed by pealing the tunnel away from the remaining floor pan, it is sealed with a sound dampening and weather sealing black flexable sealer. It goes back in the same way, but it will help to purchase some 3M weather sealant to re-tack the carpet back down if needed.

I've done this before on a half dozen cars, it can be completed in 2-3 hours.

E
Old 05-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have the Pro 5.0 in SPF158 and love it, will be installing it in 884 soon. Very easy install.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Asp, thats the same way you pull the trans cover on an ERA as well. I understand the big difference is the sealing agent on the SPF. ERA use's a simple weather stripping type thing that is glued to the trans cover.

Yeah, 2, maybe 3 hours, it's still a pain in the butt. Moving the carpet, taking out the seats, etc. Easy, but what a hassle at the same time.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ex,

I have not worked on an ERA so I would not know. (that is not a dig on ERA, they are great cars, I just have not worked on one) The OP asked about a SPF.

"quite a job" is pulling an engine, replacing a rear main seal, or a CV boot IMO. Installing a shifter is "<" any number of things on an SPF.

E
Old 05-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

2 hours to get to the shifter, 10 minutes to change the shifter.

I have to pull my trans cover, again, and I JUST got it put back in. Doggone it, I forgot to tighten the speedo cable retaining nut and cannot reach it from underneath the car. Hours pulling and reinstalling the cover and 5 minutes to tighten one bolt. I'm really starting to hate that trans tunnel....
Old 05-30-2010, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Give the tranny about 500 miles to break it in before you start messing with it. Mine loosened up and smoothed out quite nicely.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks all for the responses! I took a closer look based on these and see it is definitely doable for me. I was hoping the answer would be " oh yes, easy, just pull the shifter boot ring and it'll fit right through"! That's the way it was on the 94 Mustang a long time ago, oh well, different car and different day!

I think rather than get into disassembly right now, I'll just enjoy driving it for a while........maybe I'll wait and do it over the winter! If the rain doesn't stop here soon, it will remain low mileage!!

Thanks again.......I do have another question, but will do a separate post.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
2 hours to get to the shifter, 10 minutes to change the shifter.

I have to pull my trans cover, again, and I JUST got it put back in. Doggone it, I forgot to tighten the speedo cable retaining nut and cannot reach it from underneath the car. Hours pulling and reinstalling the cover and 5 minutes to tighten one bolt. I'm really starting to hate that trans tunnel....
The OP owns a Superformance and wanted information on installing a shifter. You do not own a Superformance yet offered your opinion (nice post count).

Are you suggesting that the OP sell the SPF, then buy an ERA so it will be easier to replace the shifter?

Two to three hours and not much effort to install the shifter in a SPF. You continue to post on threads you know nothing about, congrats!

E
Old 05-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Asp, what the hell is your problem here boy???

I all ready told you, here it is again, listen son, ERA and SPF are the same freakin' method of trans tunnel removal. With one critical exception, SPF uses a serious black tar to cement the trans tunnel down, ERA doesn't.

Are you done with post count thing now?

You don't have to own any particular car to have a clue how to work on them, something you obviously don't understand.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

You don't have to own any particular car to have a clue how to work on them, something you obviously don't understand.
Your a funny guy.

Read your first post.

You posted "but I hear pulling the trans cover on an SPF is quite a job" Alluding to the fact that you had no first hand experience pulling a tunnel in a Superformance. Then why are you suggesting that it's "quite a job", WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW.

Someone asks about Avon tires, and you state how great your Goodyears are (because you have never owned Avons). Someone else asks about replacing a shifter in a Superformance and you chime in with useless hearsay.

Why not wait until someone asks a question "YOU KNOW THE ANSWER TO"

Don't go away mad...

E

PS "You don't have to own any particular car to have a clue how to work on them, something you obviously don't understand."

I guess a veterinary can perform open heart surgury...

Last edited by Great Asp; 05-31-2010 at 09:25 AM..
Old 05-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've owned three different replicas. I've worked on many many more different replicas (FFR, SPF, BDR, Classic Roadster), seen the trans tunnel out, engine and trans removed on an SPF. It aint that easy! I've been around replicas for many years, been a member of this board for many years. I recently consulted with a friend about repairing a loose rear wheel bearing on his Kirkham (it's over his head, the car needs to go to Utah). I built my side oiler and my top loader, I've repaired T5 trans as well (FFR is a nightmare to remove). I'm an ASE certified mechanic, have had my own shop.

In short, I know what I'm talking about. Your an idiot for suggesting this guy with a brand new SPF pull the trans cover because it's not big deal. It is a big deal, the car is new, he has made a wise decision to NOT change out the shifter at this time, no thanks to your screwed up advice.