14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Toploader Transmission leak

Crickets chirping over in the Transmission Forum so I guess I will try here in All Cobra Talk.

My rebuilt toploader is seeping a few drops of lube at the main case to tailhousing gasket. I snugged up the bolts but still a drop now and then. I'm still putting the car together and don't have the transmission tunnel in so I have pretty good access. I would like to drain the transmission and pull the tailshaft housing back to either replace the gasket or put a ribbon of gasket sealer on the existing one.

Anything that prevents sliding the tailhousing back or off after the 4 bolts and yoke are removed?

Tanks
Old 11-18-2013, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Mine leaked from the bolt holes. If I remember correctly, the remedy wasn't changing the gasket. call or email one of the top loader guys & ask before you do anything.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I had a similar issue and was convinced that it was tail housing gasket. It was driving me nuts with the small trail of oil running to the back of the car when driving. It turned out to be the o-ring seals at the shifter arms that were leaking, then running down along the tailshaft assy. No easy way to change those without pulling the trans, which I did. No further issues. Not saying that this is your problem, but something to check out.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
I had a similar issue and was convinced that it was tail housing gasket. It was driving me nuts with the small trail of oil running to the back of the car when driving. It turned out to be the o-ring seals at the shifter arms that were leaking, then running down along the tailshaft assy. No easy way to change those without pulling the trans, which I did. No further issues. Not saying that this is your problem, but something to check out.
This is definately at the tailhousing. The car hasn't been driven yet - just run in neutral in the garage - so lack of wind drifting of oil and plain gravity is helping pin point the exact area. No oil trailing down from up above. However, one of the lower bolts for the tailhousing could be a possibility - I will take a closer look at that.

If all else fails it looks like the tailhousing just slides back and off once the speedo cable is pulled, 4 bolts removed and yoke removed. I'm hoping someone can verify it's that simple.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
Mine leaked from the bolt holes. If I remember correctly, the remedy wasn't changing the gasket. call or email one of the top loader guys & ask before you do anything.
That's a good thought. I'll take a close look at that first. Maybe a little Permatex on the bolts is all it needs. I wonder if those bolt holes daylight into the case or are blind?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2013, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Yes, the tail housing just unbolts and slides off. Look up David Kee Tranmissions and I think you'll find an exploaded view.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GT350,289 w/48IDA Webers
Send a message via AIM to Earl J
Not Ranked     

DanEC,

They (4) daylight into the main case. You may want to drain the case and Permatex on the threads one at a time. That may just do it for you.

Best,
Earl
Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, FE 440, top-loader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I agree. Drain case. Leave plug out. Remove tailhousing bolt. Flush the threads with brake cleaner. Apply black Permatex on threads and bolt head. Repeat. Leave 24 hours before filling with oil.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great - thanks for all the replies above. I will try draining the case, clean the bolt holes, seal them up and hope that takes care of it.

Dan
Old 11-23-2013, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After draining the lube and removing the bottom bolt it was pretty apparent my leak was from the bolt itself. There was some evidence of sealer on the bolt threads but I suspect it wasn't from the last assembly or it was just too sparse. There also was just a lockwasher under the bolt and it looks like the others have a flat washer also. Should have it cleaned up and sealed up today.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Yes, that's it. It's been a while, I can't remember what the fix was. David Kee should be able to enlighten.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave - once the driveshaft is removed, mount unbolted from the frame and the yoke slid out - all you have to do is remove the bolts and slide the tail housing off. Well - you probably need to pull the speedo gear out first.

I think several of the bolts are drilled through into the case so leaks out the bolts holes is pretty common. Need to use some sort of oil-resistant thread sealer on the bolts.