Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Horns

Hooked up my wiring today to check out the electronics and heard the horns for the first time. If hearing an FE rumbling along increases your testosterone level, then hearing the stock horns is a shot of estrogen .

I've seen a couple of threads with recommendations for Windtones, FIAMM and Hella as upgrades.

Any other suggestions I should look at?
Old 08-31-2013, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

X2 on Fiamm. Get low and high, #72112 and #72002. If you only need one get the low, 72112.

"Everything is alive. If you get angry at a vehicle or the trans, it won't fix until you apologize and say you are sorry." "The vehicle always knows what it is doing and what the cause of it's bad feeling is. If you ask it humbly what the problem is, it will tell you. Then you and it will both be happy."

Gil Younger
Old 08-31-2013, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

Hey Kevin..good to see the build coming along and YES the horns are the weeniest part of the car. You'll never hear them over the pipes anyway and neither will anyone else. With the button being where it is, it's fairly useless to begin with. I've only used mine at the DMV inspection. You'll be driving so defensively you'll never think about it probably. Continued good luck with the build.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good point on the horns. And, well put - "weeniest" is a good word to describe the "toot, toot" they put out. When I first hit the horn button, my wife came out and said "That's the horn???" with a half laugh, half puzzled look.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 08-31-2013, 06:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

In going on eight years, the only time I have ever honked the horn was to get somebody to hurry up and come outside to go somewhere. If I want to get someone's attention in traffic, for whatever reason, I have been known to "blip" the throttle. You can do it in such a way that the engine doesn't really rev, rather it explodes in one quick blast. It's more effective than a horn, unless the person you're honking at is in the bathroom....

Last edited by patrickt; 08-31-2013 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-31-2013, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Horns....... the ones I picked were "air horns" that my dad had put in his car and I picked them because they sound like the Ferrari in Gumball Rally. I liked that horn more. Don't care what the originals had.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Two words: Stebel Nautilus. They make a compact air horn that fits easily in the nose of the car and is amazingly loud. In the LA area, the number of bad drivers that you see on the road is unbelievable. I once had a woman in a big SUV make a right turn on red right in front of me. She was holding her cell phone to her left ear and made the turn without even looking to the left and seeing my rapidly approaching Cobra. Fortunately, I had a lane open on the left and quickly swerved over and stayed right next to her with the horn button down until she put the phone away. Things like that happen all the time around here and it's better to have some defense.

RS
Old 09-01-2013, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Patrick, good idea with blipping the throttle. I'm sure it is more effective than the stock horns. If you're honest with yourself, I'll bet you also prefer that to the laughs and embarrassment the "toot toot" would bring .

Regards,

Kevin
Old 09-01-2013, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

X2 on the Stebel Nautilus.
I have one on my Suzuki VStrom and one on my Cobra.
These things are LOUD.
I don't make a practice of using my horn unnecessarily but it's nice to know you're packing some serious decibels when the occasion arises.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Patrick, good idea with blipping the throttle. I'm sure it is more effective than the stock horns. If you're honest with yourself, I'll bet you also prefer that to the laughs and embarrassment the "toot toot" would bring .

Regards,

Kevin
That's one advantage of an aluminum flywheel on an FE. When you blip it right, it does not even noticeably rev; it just goes "blam." Mucho more effective that tweety-bird horns.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Mine are triple air horns......
Old 09-01-2013, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
...."blip" the throttle.....bathroom......explodes in one quick blast.....:
Sounds quite effective to me
Cheers,
Glen
Old 09-01-2013, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #778 427SC Keith Craft FE 428 stroker
Not Ranked     

I swapped mine out for the Hella trumpets. Bolted right in and sound much more MANLY! Only about $30 a pair.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Locomotive Horns

About six years ago I bought this set of 5 Nathan Airchime locomotive horns. The longest chime is 19" in length, the shortest is 9". The cluster mounted on the manifold weighs about 30 pounds.

I tore them apart, media blasted them, renewed the diaphragms and cork gaskets, and assembled them with stainless steel fastenings.

I intended to intall them under the bed of my F350 dually, but they're still hanging on the garage wall, dang it!

Occasionally the grandsons and I set them in the driveway and connect them to my Ingersoll Rand 60 gal. air compressor. We live in a typical suburban neighborhood. OMG!! They can be heard more than 1 mile from my home. When I had a career, it was working for the railroad. I was used to horns on the job. When you cut these things loose in your neighborhood it will almost buckle your knees.

So.............do I just keep the Hella's that are now in the Cobra, or swap them for the Nathan Airchimes?

Last edited by 601HP; 09-01-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Old 09-01-2013, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's a beautiful set of horns. You'd have to put a 6 cylinder in the Cobra to make room for them to fit!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

601hp

Hey send them over I am loosing the loudest stereo competition with my young neighbor.

..a train coming through their bedroom at 5am
601HP likes this.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 09-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK View Post
601hp

Hey send them over I am loosing the loudest stereo competition with my young neighbor.

..a train coming through their bedroom at 5am
Bernie,
If you let these horns loose at 5 am, you'd win and the young neighbor would wet the bed!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

601hp

Yes think he has been quieter since he blew his amp up..

Mmmmm kids...
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Just a quick question. Are normal car horn meant to be mounted on extended brackets? I mounted 2 horns on a solid short bracket and they now sound awful. I'm guessing they need to vibrate.
JD
Old 08-28-2020, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySnake View Post
Two words: Stebel Nautilus. They make a compact air horn that fits easily in the nose of the car and is amazingly loud. In the LA area, the number of bad drivers that you see on the road is unbelievable. I once had a woman in a big SUV make a right turn on red right in front of me. She was holding her cell phone to her left ear and made the turn without even looking to the left and seeing my rapidly approaching Cobra. Fortunately, I had a lane open on the left and quickly swerved over and stayed right next to her with the horn button down until she put the phone away. Things like that happen all the time around here and it's better to have some defense.

RS
AWESOME!!! I'm ordering them today! Love them! I've always loved air horns ever since I rode in my first TR6, and these air horns are almost like "f-you, Ferrari!" LOL

Love them. Much more fitting to the character of the AC looks, IMO.

@RallySnake

SOLD Replaced by something with a Flat-6

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 08-28-2020 at 03:52 PM..