14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Paint:Metalflakes Royal and Abalone stripes registered in France in 1973. Engine: Ford Shelby aluminium block, 482; two 4-barrels 600cfm Holley; Edelbrock Performer Aluminium heads,,fluid damper,4-speeds Aluminium Toploader (short), 2.88rear
Send a message via Skype™ to BOURRET
Not Ranked     
Default Under 12s

Last week-end at the last drag race of the french season, I went under the 12s with a 11.80s and 125mph (202km/hr) in my racing class: "street run A".
I was really glad to reach this, I think I could make much better (my 60ft is really bad) . But I stick to my principle of going to the race tracetrack by the road even if it is 500 miles away from my home. (coming back by the road can be sometimes a problem if I break something.....)
Old 10-02-2009, 05:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Excellent!
Driving to and from events is a lot of fun and an adventure too.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Way to go with the 11.80 that is a very good time in fact last year you would have won your class at Run N Gun! Be safe and have some fun.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 10-02-2009, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

125 mph, geat trap speed for a flying brick!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

With a 2.88 rear gear no less! Wow, that is impressive. Were you in third or fourth gear when you crossed the finish line?

I ran 11.90 at 123 mph with a 3:31 rear gear, just barely into 4th and still pulling very hard at the end.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

what was your reaction times??? and what were your 60 foot times??? maybe we can help to get them down.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

With the kind of gearing I bet the 0-60 ft was 2 seconds or just slightly under! I don't know if reaction time is a big factor... Would be nice to get some more "numbers" though. Like 1/8th mile et/trap would be interesting.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Reaction time plays as much a part of it as the 60 foot or any other part of the run,I have seen more than my share of races won and lost on the reaction time.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Indeed, from the perspective of win/loss. When I was running with our local Cobra clan we were more concerned about et/trap speed, 60 ft time. Frankly, none of us had even dragged raced before and the first time for our group was a real hoot.

We eventually determined that the way it worked was: When the other guy left, follow him!

As for myself, I find it rather addictive within a weekend or two. When I broke into the 11's I had to buy a special jacket and arm restraints to keep running. When I had a couple of VERY close run's against some other cars, reaction time started to make sense.

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-02-2009 at 09:33 PM..
Old 10-03-2009, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

when you loose by 0.001 of a second and that came from the reaction time of the other guy............been there done that.............drag raceing is a auto baced sport that just about any person can do and enjoy yourself without breaking the bank on building a car. i love it .
Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Your 60 ft time starts after your front tires break the beam, not when the light turns green. It really has nothing to do with your reaction time. I nearly fell asleep at the tree once, having a 1.5 second reaction time. I still had a 1.8x sec 60 ft time though.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And that was my point Undy. When we, as a group, first started going to the track it wasn't about "winning" or breaking our car. It was a personal best sort of thing, learning more about our car, how to shift at the best time, all that. WAY fun!!

Something happened to me along the way. A highly modified trailered in Chevy II. He got the hole shot on me, I caught him just behind his front bumper, side by side. ALL the way through the gears, we even "ran it out the back door" neither of us wanting to give an inch. DAM! I was hooked man! In an instant I started planning my counter attack, more carb, race gas, kick up the timing, a better reaction time, I CAN take take this guy. Ahh, it do suck you in...
Old 10-03-2009, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

That's a really nice trap speed. You must have had 2.1 or so 60 ft times. That's a shame you're mph would be good for a 10.9 with a 1.5 60ft.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up You go girl!

Get that 60' time under control and you may well dip into the tens. Are these times with the new engine you bought last year or are you still racing the old motor?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 10-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was running the Goodyear Bill Boards, tried various pressure's, burn out, no burn out, varying rpm for the launch.

I COULD NOT get under 2.0 flat for the 60 ft. My trap speed of 123 was outstanding, considering I smoked a cigar and took a freakin' lunch break while doing the hole shot.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Reaction time has nothing to do with your ET. Reaction time is the time from when the tree goes green till when you break the beam. Your ET starts when you break the beam. You could sit there for 10 minutes after the light goes green and you'd still have the same ET.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Paint:Metalflakes Royal and Abalone stripes registered in France in 1973. Engine: Ford Shelby aluminium block, 482; two 4-barrels 600cfm Holley; Edelbrock Performer Aluminium heads,,fluid damper,4-speeds Aluminium Toploader (short), 2.88rear
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
With a 2.88 rear gear no less! Wow, that is impressive. Were you in third or fourth gear when you crossed the finish line?

I ran 11.90 at 123 mph with a 3:31 rear gear, just barely into 4th and still pulling very hard at the end.
I was in third gear at around 6200 rpm at the end of the quarter mile. But the rpm indicator was quite unstable (Smith instrument) and I almost reached my speed rev limiter set on Mallory Hyfire VI)at 6300rpm.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Get that 60' time under control and you may well dip into the tens. Are these times with the new engine you bought last year or are you still racing the old motor?
Still with my "old" 482. New one not installed yet.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
what was your reaction times??? and what were your 60 foot times??? maybe we can help to get them down.
My reaction times were between 0.654 and 0.567 for a christmas tree set at 0.500s.
My sad 60ft was at 2.233s when I made the 11.80s. It had been between 2.2 and 2.8 for the ten runs I made during that week-end.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

For me a good reaction time is double O anything.... .005 etc. Usually run in the teens in the reaction time. 60 foot times in the high 1.3's MT street radials, quite a rush coming off the line.