Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     
Default Helmet painting for ALMS driver

Just finished today my latest helmet painting, which will be used at the Laguna Seca, and Petit Le Mans ALMS races. I started painting helmets as a hobby, this is only my third one. I was asked to paint this Sparco carbon fiber helmet three weeks ago. It came along pretty well till I made a mistake with one layer of paint... I was pretty unhappy with it. So, two days before I need to deliver it, I started all over again. I put in a 12 hr day, then the following day another 8 hrs before I had to deliver it that night. It was stressful but rewarding too. I still encountered some problems with the clear coat, which you can't see unless you're up close, but it still bothers me. I need to make myself a quality paint booth.

Anyways, here it is. I was asked to use the same green as the car, black, and white, the rest was up to me. The car is an LMPC class car, Performance Tech team. The green is a lot brighter in direct sunlight, and also a lot deeper. The colors in these pictures are a little dull for some reason. The black portions is the actual carbon fiber shells, which made the job even harder.

Arno

Last edited by Avmaviator; 09-13-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: WTB MK IV
Not Ranked     

what ya charge ?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Looks like very tedious work, probably drive me bat ch!t crazy doing one. Nice work, but hard to imagine having the patience to do that with a Kirkham and monster aluminum FE waiting in the garage.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryr View Post
what ya charge ?
Well it depends on the paint. Depends on what kind of paint, how many colors, etc... labor wise, I don't have a specific charge yet as most of the helmets I have done have been for friends and such. But, if you are interested we can talk about it further. PM me if you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Looks like very tedious work, probably drive me bat ch!t crazy doing one. Nice work, but hard to imagine having the patience to do that with a Kirkham and monster aluminum FE waiting in the garage.
No kidding! I had a big Summit order which was waiting for me in the garage, but I had to get this helmet done. It wasn't easy Now I get to work on the Kirkham, well, kind of since I need more parts hah.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Arno, that's sharp man!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Nice design!

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 09-13-2011, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Arno, that is beautiful! It is a true artist who sees more what could have been better than what beauty is already created.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

I can't believe that's only your 3rd helmet!

From the photo's your work looks as good as any pro's

I call BU!! SH!T on you trying to pass yourself of as a rookie!

Well done! Great work!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank so much everybody such nice feedback!

This is something, helmet painting, I started about a year and a half ago because it looked neat. My first helmet (the one below), I started over 3 times because of some mistakes I made. That's what you get when you self teach yourself, hah, but I didn't mind. I'm still learning a lot on these things about different techniques, materials, etc.. makes it a lot of fun, and also very challenging when you have a deadline!
My main problem right now is finding time to do it between work (gone 4 days every week), finishing house projects before our first child arrives in January, working on the Kirkham, and other stuff. A lot of stuff that is for sure, but all good stuff well, maybe expect for being on the road so much haha.

Anyways, here are some pics of the other helmets I have done.

This is my first one.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1038--sold
Not Ranked     

Nice work.....