14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     
Default Anyone use Kirkey seats?

I would like to use the Kirkey 47 series Intermediate Road Race Seats in my Cobra. I mostly track the car, but do drive on the street some.

Does anyone have the intermediate road race seats in a Cobra and do they fit, particularly at the shoulder bolsters? Any photos?

If the shoulder bolsters won't fit, I may have to go to the Kirkey 41 vintage series seat, which is a low-back, but has decent side bolsters. These look more period, but do not provide the headrest protection...

Anyone use the vintage seat? Any photos? Do you track your car and did you install a separate head rest for protection?

Other suggestions are good too, if there is something I'm not considering.

Thanks alotly,
Old 06-03-2011, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Hi. I autocross and use the Kirkey Pro Street Drag seat, which happens to be the Vintage seat with a headrest. Might be a good compromise for you and cheaper than the Vintage seat for some odd reason. I really like the comfort and stability the seat provides.

Ownership Log – ERA#2124

- Allen.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I have a Kirkey 47 for driver only in my Everett-Morrison car. I don't recall the size, but I think it is a 16" size (I'm not a big guy). It was a very tight fit and the left shoulder wing hits the door. It has worn a small grove in the fiberglass where they touch. .. Raising the seat more would have lifted the wing above the door, but I didn't want it any higher than necessary. I like the way it feels on the track, and it is far more comfortable than my stock seat for long distance cruising. ... I have a removable steering wheel, but it isn't necessary to remove it for me to get in.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-03-2011, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Not Ranked     

I have used the Pro Drag seat for the past five years. Road and track. It works very well. I think it is a grand compromise.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I used Kirkey in our racing sprint car and they donated the41 series Pro-Street Drag for our 2-seat, street legal sprint car. I wanted this style because the large rib protectors would be a tight fit for passengers, being a hassle. Not all people are thin around the hips. lol

This type has what I call wings, so they still keep your butt planted, but more comfortable.

Kirkey Racing - Browse Products

EXTRA PADDING

Old 06-08-2011, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Tommy, Did you have to shift the seat against the transmission tunnel and then angle it toward the front left tire in order to both clear the wing at the door and also be able to operate the pedals? My midstates has a narrow footbox (wide trans tunnel at the front), which puts the pedals somewhat to the left as you sit in it.

Also, I ordered a 16" seat and it does not squeeze me in. I can slide a little, but not far. I measured my hips as Kirkey says to, but the seat seems a little big. I did not get my driving suit on, so maybe that will fill the gaps if I am fully geared-up. Do y'all have a tight squeeze, or do you run with a little bit of space?

Thanks for the word on the ProDrag seat. I may have to look into that one and just give up on the shoulder bolsters, but I really like the way they control upper body motion.

How about modifying the shoulder bolster wing to clear the door? I there any down-side to that thought? I know I'd need to reupholster, but I am considering having leather covers made in the color of my choosing anyway...

Thanks for any comments folks may have

Last edited by ItBites; 06-08-2011 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: had to remove errant typing
Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

E-Wood- the ProDrag does have openings for shoulder harness's. And if you wish to use it, the ball cruncher belt. You can see them in my photo's.

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-08-2011 at 04:30 PM..
Old 06-08-2011, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Not Ranked     

I seldom install the soft top, but if I did the wings you like would really complicate ingress and egress for me. Anymore I ignore the top and just put on a rain suit and keep going. I use a 17" seat. It has wiggle room. After 10 hours or so in the car, the wiggle room is nice. If it is a track only car none of this applies. If you leave the car out in the rain with no top, drill holes in the seat bottom and take the cover to the hotel room. Otherwise you sit on a gallon of water in a sponge.

Ciao
Old 06-08-2011, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again all. Any other comments?
Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default Kirkey Seat

I have the intermediate rr seat, 16", fits snug in my Backdraft. Love it, very comfortable. I put some highway miles in it as well as lots of track time. Bought the tweed cover.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MT - In your gallery photos it looks like the Pro Drag seat, without the shoulder bolsters. Are those old photos and do you have any newer ones?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBites View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Tommy, Did you have to shift the seat against the transmission tunnel and then angle it toward the front left tire in order to both clear the wing at the door and also be able to operate the pedals? My midstates has a narrow footbox (wide trans tunnel at the front), which puts the pedals somewhat to the left as you sit in it.
Yes. The seat parallels the tunnel making it point toward the pedals and left front of the car.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-04-2018, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I just bought the kirkey 47 series road racing seats and am wondering about bending the wings so they don't hit the door too much.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

Factory Five Challenge Car. Not finished
I have been test fitting both the 47000 Intermediate RR and the Vintage seats.
Both seem to work and these are a standard option for FFR.
The shoulder wings if the RR may need to be bent inboard. Don't see this as a huge problem.
I really like the Vintage but think the RR will be better for track work. I've added additional rollbars and these are just to the side of my head. Will use lots of padding.
Jim
Old 03-05-2018, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Jim,

I had to bend the shoulder wings in a little on my Kirkey race seat in the FIA race car due to interference with the additional roll cage tubes that I added. They bend fairly easily. Good luck.

Jim
Old 03-05-2018, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

nd Thanks! Did you use the fancy upholstery?

In my autocross Lotus It was a 15" seat and I have a 16" heiney so i discarded the cover and applied stickyback dense rubber. It's pretty comfey.