Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   All Racing Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-racing-talk/)
-   -   Nascar Fan? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-racing-talk/14624-nascar-fan.html)

Jeff Frigo 02-12-2002 09:57 PM

Nascar Fan?

Just curious to see how many of you are Nascar fans. Be honest. :LOL::3DSMILE::LOL:

65cobra427 02-13-2002 07:30 PM

You bet your sweet a$$ I am

Rite on Jeff... I think Cranky & are I are the only ones... When I voted, I moved the vote over to 4 yes, 3 no...:cool:

Mc spotter

RACER X #99 02-13-2002 07:38 PM

Jeff,
So far 32 people have looked at this poll and only 8 votes either you are a fan or not.

Why don't people vote????

Cranky

Ikestaa 02-13-2002 07:48 PM

To me NASCAR is more for entertainment value then actual racing (remember, it's just my opinion).

ERA535 02-13-2002 07:56 PM

I have always thought that NASCAR was great racing - the only problem I have is that I feel it is being shoved down my throat lately. I can only take a certain amount of ANYTHING before I start rebelling. It is called over exposure and I think they are close, if not there.

Ibr8k4vetts 02-13-2002 08:02 PM

Go

You bet... I'm going to the Vegas race :D Mike
________
volcano vaporizer classic

Jeff Frigo 02-13-2002 08:06 PM

Cranky:

I am asking myself the same question. Maybe that means that they dislike it so much, they won't even take the time to answer the poll. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Menace 02-13-2002 08:41 PM

Jeff Im with you.Nascar is highly over rated,id rather watch go kart races.PS.Nascar isnt racing its big time wrestling.

TANMAN 02-13-2002 08:45 PM

I was a so-so NASCAR fan until my wife bought me a 30 lap package from Richard Petty Driving Experience at Atlanta Motor Speedway. What a great experience with really professional people. My best lap was 157.77 mph and it was an awesome time. Now I watch every race and have a better handle on what those drivers are going through. Forget the hype, these guys just love to race.

Gordon Claunch 02-13-2002 08:50 PM

It's kinda like a basketball game to me, you can miss all of it and tune in to the last 2-3 minutes and see who wins:LOL:

sfry 02-13-2002 09:28 PM

Jeff,
I work for Dupont. I also have worked with Gordon many time and I have painted his Indian motorcycle. I was not a Nascar fan until I started working the hospilality at some of the tracks(Sears Point,Vegas,Phoenix-Entertaining Customers)and met this young driver. I started to follow his sport in 94 and I never looked back. I was so baddly hooked I sold my Cobra and bought a 99'Taurus that Musgrave drove. Yes I am a Nascar Fan. I sold my Cup car to buy another Cobra-----I am back to stay!!!

Ps. I have also race Karts,Jet skiis and motocross too..

Shannon

Jeff Frigo 02-13-2002 09:42 PM

Shannon:

Ok, I must admit one thing that I am definately a fan of: Brooke Gordon. Have you ever met her? Any pictures? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I use to watch a Nascar race if no other motorsport event was on, but after Earnhardt died, that was pretty much it.

Back to Brooke, tell me some stories, and maybe you can convert me. :3DSMILE::D:3DSMILE:

bmalone 02-13-2002 09:53 PM

Yes, have been a fan long before the new television deals. Back then you were lucky if you could see it on TV every week. As some said, we are now forced to listen to "so-called" racing experts. I liked Ned Jarrett as a broadcaster some years back. Everything today hype.

But, the racing is totally competetive. Formula 1 and IRL or CART don't come close in terms of fender-banging close racing.

Although I will say road courses seem more fun to do yourself. I really enjoyed track time in formula cars at Sears Point.

Bill

sfry 02-13-2002 10:29 PM

Jeff,
I met Brooke once in Concord Calif at a VIP party. I will say that she was very down to earth and quite something to look at. She does not attend alot of the Dupont VIP stuff on the west coast. I dont have any pics but I do have one of me and Jeff at the same party. I also have one of me standing next to his car in the garage at vegas last year and of course his Indian. He won the race in that car. I can send them if you give me your email. A manager at one of my accounts went to school with jeff and he was able to get me behind the scenes a couple of times.. Got Lucky!!!

Shannon

ERA535 02-14-2002 07:43 AM

Whatever your beliefs about NASCAR - the Twin 125's that run today are perhaps the best races of the whole year -

I was living in Florida in the early 80's and used to visit a dealership near Orlando that employed some rabid NASCAR followers - they insisted I go to see the Twin 125's. They told me that THIS was the race to watch - that the 500 was boring compared to this one.

I am more of a F1 and CART fan but went because I had never seen a stock car race and kind of liked the idea that maybe the crowds would be a little lighter. Plus those guys were so enthusiastic about the 125's - I HAD to go.

I was right about the crowds (then anyway) and the racing WAS intense. These guys are racing to see who gets to race on Sunday. Nothing is held back. One pit stop. I was not disappointed.

The first race starts at 10 AM Pacific time today. I rarely miss watching them. It kind of amazes me that NASCAR doesn't realize what kind of excitement (and money and exposure) they could get from these races if they were shown when everyone was home and could watch TV.

Ikestaa 02-14-2002 02:20 PM

One reason there is so much fender banging and "competition" is because that is what gets ratings and sells tickets. Most open wheel series aren't as close of racing because the cars are not regulated to make sure that they are all relatively the same speed.

bmalone 02-14-2002 02:31 PM

I agree, relative sameness of cars makes for very competitive racing. A good formula, I think. Same reason IROC is so close.

Bill

Ikestaa 02-14-2002 02:42 PM

It makes for close racing, but I do not believe it makes for competitive racing. To me the design of a car is equally as important as a driver. If a team can make a car that dominates on the track, more power to them. I would much rather see one team win, than a good team be held back by rule changes.

bmalone 02-14-2002 02:53 PM

Different strokes for different folks. All the best with your ERA. I'm in the "obtaining phase" also.

Bill

Menace 02-14-2002 03:01 PM

Yawn... whats more boring than roundy round? reruns of roundy round... Gomer and Jethro ...runing from the revenuers... yee haw