23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2004, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 Mustang Road Racer
Not Ranked     
Default Ken Miles and Dave MacDonald Cobras - Help.

Does anyone know if these two Cobras are still with us and if so where they might be? The Augusta International Raceway Preservation Society would like to contact the owners and possibly have the cars at our memorial dedication on September 11, 2004 at the former circuit.

www.historicmustang.com/cobras.html

Thanks,
Henry Jones
www.augustainternationalraceway.com
Old 04-24-2004, 05:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

The USRRC race at Augusta in March 1964 had Ken Miles and Dave MacDonald finish 1 - 2.

Miles drove CSX2260 and MacDonald drove CSX2259.
Both cars are part of the 'elite' set of FIA cars built by SAI.

CSX2259 was destroyed in a wreck but rebuilt to racing form and is currently owned by Lynn Park.

We can check the Registry to see the status of CSX2260.

You may want to contact the Cobra Registrar at SAAC for current info and contact info.

Ned Scudder cobraregistrar@saac.com
Old 04-24-2004, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

The Yenko GS is still alive and well, I've seen it race many times.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ned, thanks and I will check with the registry. Am also curious if this was the first time in competition for these two Cobras.

Dave also won the other event that day in a King Cobra and I guess the same question. Is it still with us?

On Yenko's Corvette, the picture was taken at the Hornes Motor Lodge in Augusta which was "Race Headquarters" when the boys came to town. It is also still with us, but with another name.

Thanks and any more information would be appreciated.

Henry Jones
www.augustainternationalraceway.com
Old 04-24-2004, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289, KMPS007
Not Ranked     

CSX2260 is currently undergoing restoration. Bruce Kimmons has done a great job restoring the body. It has just been painted and is in the process of going back together. It has been painted in the Radford Racing colors of 1965. Allen Grant raced this car in 1965 at Oulton Park finishing 3rd in GT class and it was wrecked later at Spa.

May not look like the Miles colors from '64 because of the red stripes, but it's the real deal. It still lives.

I will pass the word to the current owner you are interested in his car for the dedication.

Bert Brown

PS. Registry states first competition for 2260 was the Daytona Continental, 2/16/64 by Schlesser/Guichet
Old 04-24-2004, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bert, thanks so much for the information.

We realize having the former race cars at the memorial dedication is a long shot. However, a new library/community center is being constructed next to the former pit lane, just a few few from where these photos were taken. Our Society will have a section of the library and we want to develop a "history" of all the cars that competed at the track, including these two Cobras and the King Cobras of Dave MacDonald and Bob Holbert.

Good Racing,
Henry
Old 04-24-2004, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Those two cars sure look lonely there by themselves. The fancy hauler in the background really makes you appreciate todays trailers.

Rick

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-25-2004, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to PDHse
Not Ranked     
Cool

Hi, first of all great photos (any more?). Looking at the 1997 registry for King Cobras, Dave Macdonalds car was chassis number CM/1/63.The registry says it was owned by Bill Hartman ( Yuba City Ca) from 1981 and was undergoing a restoration. I don,t know of the current situation. The Bob Holbert King Cobra is chassis number CM/3/63. Last owner in the registry is Chris Cox (Raleigh NC) as of 1996. I think its in a museum. There is a picture on club cobra that looks like the same car. If you do a search in the picture gallery it will come up. Maybe someone out there can say where the museum is.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default FIA 2260

2260 restoration should be complete by end of july. I will try and get it to your event. larry
Old 05-03-2004, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry, this is a wonderful possibility. I hope you and the other viewers will take a moment and visit:

http://www.historicmustang.com/lap.html

The former circuit is still 90% intact and the possibility of this race car once again being on these grounds is almost "unthinkable". I know the exact spot that your car sat on the still visable garage foundation and for it to again sit at that location 40 years later is simply unreal. Today, it is actually possible to drive a car at reduced speed around the entire tack. Perhaps yours can take a lap 40 years later.

If the September 11 ,2004 dedication date turns out not be possible, then I certainly hope that one day soon this Cobra will again visit the Augusta International Raceway. I will personally give you a track tour.

When you have a free moment please e-mail me at hjones101@comcast.net and reference the track or your fantastic time machine.

Henry Jones
Old 05-04-2004, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

PDHse, thanks for the information. I will try to locate these King Cobras for the dedication.

Henry
Old 05-04-2004, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Make a note on your calendar:

Augusta, Georgia at Diamond Lakes Regional Park/Augusta International Raceway September 11, 2004 at 1:00 PM. Non-commercial, public gathering to honor the former cars, the former drivers and the former track.

All three of these will be present as we "place" the monument.

Directions to the track/park are up at the official site for the dedication: www.augustainternationalraceway.com .

You do not have to buy a ticket to this one and there will be no vendors and no banners. We are just making memories.

Lets "pack the park" with Cobras.

Good Racing,

Henry