Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     
Default Replacing Upper and Lower Ball Joint Boots

Need some help here.
It has been 9 years and 15k miles on my front suspension upper and lower ball joint boots supplied by A & C. I ordered the rolling chassis, so they came assembled.
The uppers are distorted and cracked, they need replacement. There is a metal flat ring that is even bent in the uppers.
I have never installed or replaced ball joints in any of my cars I've owned.
I have asked Joe T and he said they use '76 Chrysler Lebaron threaded ball joints.
I have purchased the Energy Suspension dust boots #5-13102R from Summit #ENS-5-13102R. The box comes with (2) ea. of two different pieces. I suspect one design is for upper and the other is the lower. there is no metal flat rings, so do I reuse the ones that are on the car.
Okay, now what? I have the ball joint tool to seperate the taper of the ball joint from the spindle joint. I am hoping the ball joints themselves are fine, but I will give them a visual inspection once I have the boot off and clean things.
Also, I was wondering if I shouldn't also replave the Tie Rod ball joint boot as well. What tie rod comes with the A & C cobra?
I can mechanically do the change, but need some help with directions.
Looking at the ENS red polyurethane dust boot and the one that is currently on the car, it just doesn't look right.
Help!!!
Jim
Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have added some pics of what they currently look like.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2010, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Was that unscrewed like that or did you do that it takes a special socket to tighten them up. The tie rods are just pinto or mustang parts.

Stop by and see what we are working on @ www.eddytheb.com
Old 03-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is how I received it 9 years ago. I haven't done anything but put grease in the zerk every winter. I was wondering if that is how it should be. The other side is the same way. How should it look and why?
I was wondering why the boot is so sqeezed, there just doesn't look like any room.
Jim
Old 03-06-2010, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

WOW it suposed to be screwwed all the way down and tight I bet the treads in that a arm are screwed. I will post a few pics later.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Also if you dont get them tight enough when you turn the wheels it unscrews it self so it something you need to check often
Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Jim, you might find this post dealing with Chrysler-type threaded ball joints interesting: http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/S...ion/joints.htm
Old 03-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Need other A & C owners to chime in here

Guys, What do your Upper and Lower ball joints look like?
I ordered a "Rolling" chassis from A & C. Pete Clark did the assembly, when Pete did contract work for A & C. I have only put grease in these since I picked up the chassis.
It looks like from what people have said above, mine are not installed properly.
The boots need replacing and I am wondering now what else.
Joe T from A & C and Pete from Fast Times Rods, if you look at this please respond.
Thanks,
Jim:
Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Jim, I do not have threaded ball joints, but you can see that mine are obviously flush. From some of the posts on the Chrysler forums, getting old ball joints out can be a pretty tough job, and if the threads are mangled, replacing the arms might be something you end up doing. If you do, I would steer away from threaded ball joints....

Last edited by patrickt; 10-26-2016 at 08:40 AM..
Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is nothing new there is a tool for putting these in but most guys just use a pipe wrench and it is not tight enough. I use a special socket Mac tools part number is SC 29 and my impact because if there not tight enough when the spindle is turned it unscrews them and then beats the hell out of the a arm. I like the style that bolts in with the four bolts way better but that's not what comes with the kit it, seals way better. You are going to have to check the treads out real good and if there ok put it back together the right way maybe even some lock tight to be sure it will not back out again. If you need more help don't hesitate to call me I deal with mostly A&C cars and think I have seen it all LOL 1-585-786-0808

Stop by and see what we are working on @ www.eddytheb.com
Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter - 427
Not Ranked     
Default Ball Joints

I agree with eddy it looks like yours have come unscrewed with driving. Here is a shot of mine as new.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here is a picture of mine. My upper control arm mounting bolt actually came off from the suspension going up and down. Actually unscrewed itself right out. Some one gave me a heads up during a car show. He might of saved my life. The hole upper control are had shifted forward.

Automan
Ps, anyone going to the London Ohio show this year. Im going for the first time. Going to trailor my car from ontario.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C
Not Ranked     

I'm am going! A@C party with automan. Some of the Kentucky cobra guys are coming too. But I am going to DRIVE should be fun. Hope it doesnt' rain too hard.
Ron
Old 03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just spoke with Pete at Fast Times Rods. He said that they must have back out while driving like everyone has said. He did not make the control arms and they came with the ball joints already in. He sent me a picture of my chasis before I picked it up and you can clearly see the ball joints screwed all the way down.
Wow, never thought they would back out and I guess I never noticed.