Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Antique & Collectibles (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/)
-   -   First accident with the cobra today (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/106526-first-accident-cobra-today.html)

saltshaker 09-02-2010 06:32 PM

First accident with the cobra today

I've been working on my carbs (2x4) and it felt relay good about the way it was running so I decided to take a run on rt 18 near Eatontown,NJ....When I built the car I made my own steering column out of .75 stainless and use a VW turn signal...and it looked very cool! I had never had the shaft grooved for a C clip and when I nailed it and the carbs were working perfectly it pushed me back in the seat along with the steering wheel...yep, I had no steering at 75 mph and as the car changed lanes heading for the trees I HIT THE BRAKES.....I did run off the road into some brush and branches ...small crack below the left turn signal, $500.00 to fix at the boat yard. I did manage to reconnect the steering, back her onto the side of the road and then come home. I'm having the shaft grooved tomorrow for a C clip...right now I'm feeling very lucky?
Jon

CobraEd 09-02-2010 06:39 PM

I would have $hit my pants and then died of a heart attack !!!!

BT SNAKE 09-02-2010 06:55 PM

OH Gawd !! My pucker factor would have been so high I could have cut monofilament line with my butt cheeks.

I'm real glad your OK.

Hersh :)

rustyBob 09-02-2010 07:16 PM

WOW.....are you ever lucky.....that could have been a major disaster.....
lucky nobody was hurt....

rdc767 09-02-2010 08:07 PM

Dang! holy cow.
Glad your ok
ron

Rick Parker 09-02-2010 08:27 PM

C clip where?

Excaliber 09-02-2010 09:26 PM

Oh yeah, you dodged a bullet this time!!!

That happened to me once, a '59 Ford, I had been screwing around with the steering wheel, didn't put the nut back on, pulled it off at speed. What a scramble that was to get it back on, just in time. :)

FWB 09-02-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saltshaker (Post 1075712)
I've been working on my carbs (2x4) and it felt relay good about the way it was running so I decided to take a run on rt 18 near Eatontown,NJ....When I built the car I made my own steering column out of .75 stainless and use a VW turn signal...and it looked very cool! I had never had the shaft grooved for a C clip and when I nailed it and the carbs were working perfectly it pushed me back in the seat along with the steering wheel...yep, I had no steering at 75 mph and as the car changed lanes heading for the trees I HIT THE BRAKES.....I did run off the road into some brush and branches ...small crack below the left turn signal, $500.00 to fix at the boat yard. I did manage to reconnect the steering, back her onto the side of the road and then come home. I'm having the shaft grooved tomorrow for a C clip...right now I'm feeling very lucky?
Jon

holy crap Jon......what pulled off? the wheel? call me,...

Fred

COBRANIP 09-02-2010 11:12 PM

In Basic Training we asked our Sarge what it was like to be shot at in Viet Nam.
He got a far away look in his eyes and said.......
"Your A$$ Hole will pucker up so tight you won't be able to drive a Vaseline coated needle up it with a ball peen hammer."
Seems to fit here. Not worried about the Cobra....glad you're O.K.

RallySnake 09-03-2010 03:22 AM

Saltshaker,

Glad you're still with us!

One of the first things my Dad taught me about working on cars many years ago was, "you better make sure the steering works" and "it's nice to have brakes, too". Anything else is optional.

Drill a hole through the shaft and the connector and put a grade 8 bolt though there. This is one place you do not take chances.

Paul

JBCOBRA 09-03-2010 05:23 AM

Holy Schmoly!!!!:eek:
That may be the scariest Cobra moment I have ever read.

Glad you are A OK
Steering comes in handy!

madmaxx 09-03-2010 06:13 AM

Move your seat up, what the heck are you pulling back on the steering wheel so much for? I have to admit you deserve a darwin award.

Lex 09-03-2010 06:18 AM

Everything happens so fast when theres no steering. I was in my race car once on pace laps and noticed the line up tape ring at the top of the wheel was off one notch so I pulled the quick release and took the wheel off to re-position it and whalla....the car was all over the place and the feeling of no control was really scary! Lucky I got it back on in the right place before I hit anything. I think the guys behind me thought I had passed out the way the car shot down the bank!

CobraEd 09-03-2010 06:42 AM

You don't realize the amount of pulling and tugging you do on the steering wheel when under acceleration or in fast turning manuvers. I would not trust a little C-clip to hold the whole thing on. For the sake of your life and the lives of those around you, I would go to this web site and get all the proper stuff.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...=cat/cat80.htm

jhv48 09-03-2010 07:40 AM

One of the FFR Challenge racers had the wheel come off in her hands a while back during a race. Hit the wall hard and, needless to say, broke a few bones.

CobraEd 09-03-2010 07:45 AM

This is the kind of stuff that gives the average layman the belief that kit cars are cheap and dangerous "home made" cars !!!! :(

madmaxx 09-03-2010 08:04 AM

They are!!!!!!!!!!!! you forgot to mention JUNK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobraEd (Post 1075795)
This is the kind of stuff that gives the average layman the belief that kit cars are cheap and dangerous "home made" cars !!!! :(

trularin 09-03-2010 08:50 AM

DANG!

I was uncomfortable reading it...can't imagine living it!

:eek:

OCCOBRA 09-03-2010 09:52 AM

I second the Darwin Award idea.
Got mine!
We all need this award. Doing what we all do with our cars we probably have or should have one "Darwin Award"
That said the key is not to secure a second award!!!!!! LOL
Your OK, the car can be repaired... Life has been good to you!
Go hug and kiss the family.

Tom Wells 09-03-2010 10:18 AM

saltshaker,

Quote:

I had never had the shaft grooved
May I recommend you search your memory (and build notes) to see if any other such omissions might be lurking elsewhere in your build? Hate to see you survive this one and get caught by a different one....

Tom