Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Antique & Collectibles (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/)
-   -   brand new guy (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/111522-brand-new-guy.html)

daverascal 07-04-2011 01:14 PM

brand new guy

If nothing goes wrong I should have my ac roadster by the middle to late Aug. So I have a couple of questions, first is the gel coat, can you get a bit more shine and what about stripping? I looked at one, it shined but I thought it could have been a bit deeper. Could a person wet sand then stripe then clear over the whole car, or would you be better off to not go with the gel coat. Next is engine choice. I would really like to build a 427 stroker using the 351w block. But I've read about cam issues and some dependability problems. Some say uses a 402 then others say no the 418. Until recently I was a Bowtie man so excuse the lack of knowledge. One last question, are these cars as much fun as they look??????:

sspano01 07-04-2011 07:45 PM

hi. i just got my A&C on the road about 2 months ago. It has been alot of fun. Was about a 2year build for me.

I did the BLUE gelcoat, which was very nice when I recieved it. I then had it wetsanded, lemans striped, and then clear coated. still needs a little buffing, but I really like it!

I thought about doing a 351...but then i was talked into a Big Block. I built up a fuel injected 521 with a 6-speed Tremec. Wouldn't have it any other way, I love the 521.

Good luck on your building!

daverascal 07-04-2011 08:28 PM

Thanks, I hope this is an enjoyable project. I recently lost my wife of many years to breast cancer. So I need a project to get me through the next few months. I hope to have it complete by June 2012. I drove up to Buffalo to the factory, I really like the body, looks like not much body work to get ready for paint. Plus I like the idea of the floor molded into the body.
Dave

PNJSNAK 07-05-2011 06:29 AM

Dave:
Congrat's on your selection.
I am not that far from you up in Macedonia right off I271.
I have had mine on the road since Sept 2001. I have a book of build pictures.
Give me a pm if you want to set up a time to come up and see mine.
I could give you some dos and don'ts and hints.
I have been very satisified with my build, but after a bunch of second thoughts, there are things I would have done different.
I have a mild 351 with a T5. No stripes.
You can see some pics in my gallery.
What all did you order from Sonny?
Jim

charles roybal 07-05-2011 06:53 AM

Look into a 408w.. my K.C. has 530hp 535 ft. lbs/tork, very streetalble...will pin your A_S hard into the seat.
" One last question, are these cars as much fun as they look??????" The leave you smiling evert time you get out of them.....but....you must respect them...or they will kill you.:%/

vatdevil 07-05-2011 03:02 PM

427 with a Dart Sportsman block...don't need a big block....... less weight on front, lower cost, and room to work on.

daverascal 07-05-2011 06:39 PM

Wow now I'm getting pumped. I think the gel coat will be the answer. I would like to build the motor myself. Now just figure out the color. I have yet to find one that I didn't like the color. Thanks for all your input. Keep them coming.
PM sent
Dave
PS meet Sonny what a guy!!!!

jbcobra67 07-06-2011 09:09 PM

Congrats

Very sorry to hear about your wife. I've been on the road since Oct. To much fun to be legal. Get ready for long stays at gas stations and most anywhere you stop. I have a 347 making 450hp at the flywheel. Quick enough for me. I have had a big block dodge that wasn't as fast because of weight and the way this thing hooks up. I have blue gel coat with painted stripes. I plan to paint it black by the end of the year and leave the stipes.

Have fun
Joey

Any question any time.

daverascal 07-07-2011 01:36 PM

color

Talked to Sonny today, kit will be ready for pick up aug 19th and the color will be ZAT Blue with white stripes.

PNJSNAK 07-07-2011 02:16 PM

Dave:
Sounds great.
Did you see my reply to your PM?
The notification is in the top right of the page where it says Welcome daverascal.
Not doing anything tonight if you want to drive up.
Jim

ROBERT GWALTNEY 07-10-2011 11:29 AM

check out Ford Racing Performance Parts - Mustang Parts, Crate Engines, Packs, Wheels, Superchargers, Racing Parts | Performance Authority

daverascal 07-10-2011 06:00 PM

thanks cool site

daverascal 07-17-2011 08:41 PM

more news

Talked to a buddy of a good friend of mine. He owns a fab/machine shop in southern Ohio that does a bunch of engines and frames for the OSTPA guys
"Pulling Trucks" blown 500cu Keith Black hemis. He use to build a lot of SBF for another kit company. Anyhow, he said he would build me one using a Dart block, aluminun head ported and polished, hyd roller, forged everything all the go fast goodies for $6500. He just built one a few months ago, 500+ hp to rear wheel. Plus he said it would have a bullet proof bottom end and would be very streetable. Lots of low end torque. Dave

daverascal 07-18-2011 03:01 PM

I forgot to ask, who makes a good body cover. The body will be stored away from home until I'm ready with the rolling chassis. It will be inside I just want to protect it from dust and dirt
Dave

jbcobra67 07-18-2011 09:30 PM

Cover

My father-in-law got one from finishline. It's expensive but very nice. Soft underside and a very snug fit.

PNJSNAK 07-19-2011 08:49 AM

Dave:
I bought a California Car cover back in 2001 and it is still great today.
I is their Noah material cover.
800.423.5525 or online Cal Cover, Inc.
Since I have (2) rollbars I had them make some modifications to their Cobra cover.
They even sent a diagragm where I out in dimensions of my car.
Very satisfied.
I also bought their Custom Fit Interior Cover for when I want to cover up the interior.
I have used it in the rain and it worked well.
The one I bought was for a Miata.There is a lot of different ones out there.
Do a seach on Club Cobra for car covers.
You will find a lot of people will recommend California Covers.
Price will be under $200.
Jim

PNJSNAK 07-19-2011 08:53 AM

Dave
Don't know why the web site came out that way.
It is Cal Car Cover – Custom Fit Car Covers, Motorcycle Covers, Cleaning Products, Garage Accessories, Collectibles and More
Jim

daverascal 07-19-2011 03:11 PM

Thanks guys

bobbyspeed440 08-27-2011 09:56 AM

Ok well I have a few questions I'm totaly new to kit cars and building one from ground up I'm looking at the A&C kit do to the price and gel coat so my questions are how well is the gel coat is it anything like on a boat if so it will last along time and is. strong as can be also is it best to do in the two stage build or get it all at 1 time

jbcobra67 09-03-2011 09:00 AM

A&C Car

Check with Roscoe he has had his with just the gel coat for several years. It is very simular to a boat. I painted stripes on mine and buffed the rest and it truned out very nice, some think it has been painted. I plan to paint it later.
As far as stages, I got the rolling chasis first, then motor and trans, then the body and interior. Reason for me was budget. Worked out fine for me.http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d.../DSCF3163a.JPG

I'm very happy with my choice.
Joey