Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-22-2011, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default 2nd Chance

How many times do you get a opportunity for a 2nd chance or a re-do in building your Cobra? I'm getting one....after a mis- hap this summer I'm replacing my Cobra body with a new one. My old body is becoming some form of Art and being displayed by Mr Mustang aka Bill somewhere in PA.

What would you do differently if you had this opportunity and it was you Cobra. This one has a 428 that's mildly tweaked with ported heads, MR 2x4 and a solid cam...trans is a Top Loader, Brakes : GM metrics up front and Explorer Rears, 9" ford rear and panard bar....

Braking has been Marginal, Engine is fairly strong..I drive it long distances, sometime 400 plus miles a day.....any thoughts from what you have learned?
Jon
Old 09-22-2011, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Wilwood brakes would definatly be on my list. A good dual MC, and no power booster. Not cheap, but the best never is.

Doesn't sound like the engine needs anything. If you're happy with it, I would leave it alone. But, I am a big fan of EFI for cars that get driven regularly.

The toploader would have to go. OD was invented for a very good reason. Especially for those 400 mile days.

Other than that, take the oppurtunity to clean all the nooks and crannies, check for loose panels, frayed wires, etc.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 09-23-2011, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Changes that will help the car

saltshaker Jon for longer drives, starting with your comfort
drivers seat, any leg cramps? lower back pains? numming feelings? I would change the seat to a Kirkley or Recaro seat. More comfort to drive in. Steering wheel, wood ones look prefect and correct but vibrations to the hands over time would have a Foam one like Moto with a flat bottom from easier in and out of the car.
Now for the car drive train, redo the motor with hydro valve train. roller lifters and rockers (both ends) Go back to a single 4 barrel unless you want to send some money and go with an FI system. The only issues with this are fuel system system( larger lines ) return line to tank, wiring the system up, o2 sensor in side pipe, drill hole and weld in bung. Setup for system.
Camshaft small one in the low .500" lift with 112 seperation. No loping sound but smooth idle. Set cam for more torque and don't worry about HP. You want this motor to be able to run on 89 gas.
Overdrive trans, Cheap way would be a TKO 600. IMO a superstreet 5 spd Richmond. Have have to modify trans mount, drive shaft should be right lenght If you have an 1" to play with. Rearend leave alone.
Brakes, all you can get with a adjustable proporting valve for front to back bias. 15" tires with a good rating over 17".
Go through the rest of the car, clean and paint. Check for rust and remove. They sell a clear shield for the nose of the car that works great for small partials of road debrie hitting the nose. An extra screen to protect the radiator from rock holes or low flying birds. Shop hard for parts. Thats it. Rick
Old 09-24-2011, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If I were to change anything on the engine it would be the 2x4 intake. What about brake options with Granda rotors and mustang 11 spindles?
Jon
Old 09-24-2011, 06:10 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

It certainly catches peoples attention these days..Wall art aside, I'm thinking of turning it into a Christmas tree for the holidays

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 12-23-2014 at 04:04 PM..
Old 09-24-2011, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lol

Another invention Bill: the cobra car top carrier?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: