Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-27-2014, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default oil filter

Hello
What are my options for an oil filter? I don't have enough room between the engine and frame rail to fit a stock oil filter. Is there are smaller filter that will fit or do I have to run a remote filter? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

What chassis ? What engine ? How about some pictures of the situation and some more details. If it's Ford powered using the standard Ford FL-1A filter, you might use the shorty filter FL-300.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a 289 In an antique and collectibles chassis. I'm going to see if I can find a shorter one. I will try the fl 300. Has anyone used a wix 51311 filter?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:21 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

I used a Fram PH16 for years on my 427. It's a short version of PH8A (equivalent to the ford FL 1A). The 427 and 289 used the same filter. I used several other filters over the years that were equivalent to the PH16. There was at least one that was supposed to be equivalent that didn't fit. I now am using K&N HP-2004. It's a little longer than the PH16 but it fits on my car. The advantage of the K&N is that it has a 1 inch (wrench size) nut on the bottom that makes it a bit easier to remove but it's 4.25 including the .25 inch nut on the bottom. The Fram PH16 is 3.69 inches tall and the FL 1A is 5.38 Inches tall. I just went into the garage and found several that I have on hand. STP16 appears to be the same size as the Fram. I also have a Purolator L14670 that is 4 inches tall. The same size as the K&N without the nut. You can get on line and cross reference to the PH16 and just look at the specifications and see how tall they are.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

You might consider one of the many adapters that Ford makes that can rotate and points the filter in a different direction. Many can be used and allow a full size FL1 or equivalent to be used. I used one of these on a 289 for years. It worked excellent.
Such as this:
Ford 90 Degree Oil Filter Adapter Used | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-FORD-EC...r#ht_54wt_1312

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 05-28-2014, 06:35 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

I went with a remote filter.
I wanted to stay with the FL-1 size.
I think I got mine from Summit, but the are available many places and different types.
There are ones for one filter or two.
There are also ones that you can add your oil temp probe into.
I made a simple bracket and mounted it to my frame cross rail just in front of the motor.
I also mounted the oil thermostat for the oil cooler on it as well. Then I ran braided stainless lines everywhere.
Check out the pic of the engine in my photos.
Good Luck.
Jim
Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bypass?

Does anybody of you block the bypass at the filter adapter to route all the oil through the filter? And what filter do you use then? One with an internal bypass?

We found in racing applications that many filters are at max flow capacity when operated without bypass (to achieve full flow and filtration).
Old 05-28-2014, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I have the Shelby remote bracket and mount. I had a little interference and couldn't thread the filter straight on so I had to mill the remote mounting bracket about 1/4". It's perfect now. I use a Wix 51515(?) Racing filter as Brent recommended.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectible
Not Ranked     

I put in a royal purple 20-253 for now. I think it's for dodge ram v8...
It's 3 1/2"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: