Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-03-2015, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Need rear shocks

I have Alden adjustable shocks up front and Art Morrison drag shocks in the rear ( they are a Gabrial shock) and bottom out. I need new rear shocks... Looing for a adjustable shock, Alden, QA1 or ??
Not raced (yet) thoughts
9" ford coil overs
Jon

Last edited by saltshaker; 07-03-2015 at 03:21 PM..
Old 07-03-2015, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I had Monroe Sensatracs (not coilovers) on my Ford 9" rear end that were too soft. I contacted QA1, telling them what I had for top and bottom mounts. They asked me the ride height of the shocks and, once they had that, gave me a recommendation that I purchased from Jegs and that have worked very well.

I would not hesitate to do it again and would recommend QA1.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I like the QA1 adjustable coil overs

Dwight
Old 07-04-2015, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think i may too, my car has sort of the same rear feel that my old M Roadster did with dead rear shocks: Funny my manual says they are adjustable for firmness but there's no knob...

Kind of bouncy in the rear? lots of squat on accel?
Old 07-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

if you have a lot of squat on acceleration I don't think it's the shock. The coil spring or spring is to soft. Maybe old and weak.
The shock controls rebound.

Dwight
The Role of Springs in

How Springs Work
Springs cushion the ride of a vehicle according to the principle of sprung-to-unsprung weight ratios. A farm wagon with no springs represents 100% unsprung weight. In this example, if springs are installed between the chassis and axles, the sprung-to-unsprung ratio might be 90% representing the chassis weight and 10% representing the axle and wheel weight.

As a vehicle gains speed, the springs begin to absorb the impact of striking irregularities in the road surface. As vehicle speed increases, a stiffer spring rate is required to keep the axles and wheels in contact with the road surface. This is why high-performance vehicles tend to use stiffer suspension systems than regular passenger vehicles.

Because a compressed spring will ex*tend in a violent fashion, shock absorbers must be used to dampen the spring’s compression and extension cycles. Without dampening, a spring’s violent com*pression and extension would cause a vehicle to lose control on a rough road surface.

As rebound control deteriorates due to normal shock absorber wear, the vehicle will begin to experience poor ride, steering response and handling control. In addition, tire wear will be accelerated due to tire scuff caused by the suspension geometry operating out of its normal range. This is why shock/strut manufacturers are adamant about the regular inspection and replacement of worn units.

In general, the compression and extension characteristics of the shock absorber must match the compression and extension characteristics of the spring. Since stiffer springs don’t normally experience extreme ranges of travel, less dampening or rebound control might be required for normal driving. Softer-rated springs, on the other hand, may require more dampening because they tend to experience more compression and extension and, thus, make the shock absorber work much harder.

For performance applications, it’s essential to remember that the sway bar must also be included as part of any spring or shock absorber package. In any modification procedure, spring rate, shock absorber dampening and sway bar capacity must be matched to vehicle weight, chassis design and driving conditions for maximum handling, load-bearing capability and driving comfort.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
I think i may too, my car has sort of the same rear feel that my old M Roadster did with dead rear shocks: Funny my manual says they are adjustable for firmness but there's no knob...

Kind of bouncy in the rear? lots of squat on accel?
Sometimes you have to unbolt them, compress them all the way, then rotate the top section. I had a set of Koni's and this is how it was done.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Springs

I installed new springs that qA1 suggested this spring and it was a big improvment with the way the car rode. This bottoming out is new, going to pull the shovks to see if they have any flat spots
Jon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: