Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By twobjshelbys

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ac/428 pi
Not Ranked     
Default Local shop to finish Cobra?

I am looking for a shop that is not too far from Rochester NY to finish my AC Cobra. Basically the first part of the assembly manual will be done (chassis portion) thanks for any help
Old 06-04-2019, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectibles, Forte 427 SB, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Have you thought about the crew at A&C finishing out the car?
I mean, it`s their kit.
And who knows their product better than the original manufacturer?

I`m not knowledgeable on the geography of New York but a google search showed about an hour and 15 min. drive (74 miles) from Rochester to Buffalo.
Your car sounds like it could at lest be pushed onto a trailer.

(shrugs shoulders)
Old 06-04-2019, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I tried to look around and find someone who could help you, but was not finding any shops that wanted to commit to a build project I did call a shop in Canandaigua that had a cobra replica on their website, they were not interested but there was a guy there who has built 4 cobras and he said that he might be willing to help you.

If you are interested, send me a private message and I will give you his name and phone number.

Good luck.

Jim
Old 06-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

"Eddy the B" has done A&C cars before: https://www.mapquest.com/us/new-york...more-279334428

On 20A in Warsaw so not far from RaChaCha.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-04-2019, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Kits of all kinds are based on the premise that your labor is free. I built a couple of Heathkit color TV sets way back when. Even if I took my labor from unpacking to sitting in front of the TV watching it (it had fabulous color becuase I dialed it in myself) at a rate of the 1970's minimum wage, I would still have been money ahead if I'd just gone to the local place and bought a TV set. You need to carefully weigh the expense of hiring someone to finish the kit who is certainly going to charge you an hourly labor rate far more than minimum wage. If he doesn't then he's not doing the work and is having some high school kid do it instead and the quality, even if he is supervising, will show it. You will be paying a premium price for a commodity build. It's the same logic that says those $100,000 frame off restorations of classic cars are always better bought finished than doing it yourself. You are highly likely to be money ahead in abandoning the kit and buying someone else's kit already finished (or stepping up to a higher grade product for the difference).

(I know that the experienced folks were already thinking this but I know what a horse looks like when I see one.)

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 06-04-2019 at 04:09 PM..
Old 06-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

Give Pete Clark a call at Fast Times Rods in Dunkirk
Old 06-05-2019, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Kits of all kinds are based on the premise that your labor is free. I built a couple of Heathkit color TV sets way back when. Even if I took my labor from unpacking to sitting in front of the TV watching it (it had fabulous color becuase I dialed it in myself) at a rate of the 1970's minimum wage, I would still have been money ahead if I'd just gone to the local place and bought a TV set. You need to carefully weigh the expense of hiring someone to finish the kit who is certainly going to charge you an hourly labor rate far more than minimum wage. If he doesn't then he's not doing the work and is having some high school kid do it instead and the quality, even if he is supervising, will show it. You will be paying a premium price for a commodity build. It's the same logic that says those $100,000 frame off restorations of classic cars are always better bought finished than doing it yourself. You are highly likely to be money ahead in abandoning the kit and buying someone else's kit already finished (or stepping up to a higher grade product for the difference).

(I know that the experienced folks were already thinking this but I know what a horse looks like when I see one.)
I just got into an argument on a Facebook page about this very thing. 1967 GTO for $9500 that needed a trunk pan and floor pan, complete interior done along with the dash needing refinished, all new brakes and lines, didn't run with wrong engine, and paint, but looked in decent shape. I guesstimated $15k if you could do all the work yourself and at least 2-3 times that if you had to pay somebody. It was laughable reading all the people reply on how I was crazy it would cost that much. Newbies...I can buy a really nice 67 GTO with a 4 speed for $25-35k and drive it to a car show on the way home!
Old 06-05-2019, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     
Wink High school kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post

I was a high school kid once and a dam good mechanic. Just depends on witch high school mechanic.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did call ac auto, they said they don't finish them and he would call me back with some places . Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Eddie the B

He stoped building Cobras a few yrs back. Tony(6104311159) has built around a dozen A&C’s....he is located in West Chester,Pa and has worked on my A&C ...
He also owns a A&C.
Jon
Old 06-06-2019, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jon. I did talk to Eddie the b and he said he doesn't build them anymore correct. Going to check out a place in East Rochester sat if not I'll call Tony

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: