Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2006, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Wiring Harness

Hi Everyone: Next item that i would like to purchase is the wiring harness. So far i am considering either the one from Antique and collectable or the one from Finishline. the one from Finish line is much cheaper. Has anyone had any experience with any of these two or is there another direction that i should consider?

Got my drive shaft installed. Fits like a glove.

Thanks again
Automan
Old 11-22-2006, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C- 351w 5spd
Not Ranked     

Automan,
I used the Ron Francis harness. It's a little pricey, but the installation was very simple.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

A wiring harness is a fear of many new builders. It is more of the unknown that is a little intimidating. As a Kit manufacturer we have been through several sources to find the best documentation available. Most of them have had good to high quality wire/components making up their kit but STINK on their documentation. All of the wires had good labels and numbers but the charts and even colors on the doc package were wrong on most. A 12 circuit kit can only be so tough if taken 1 circuit at a time with or without the supplied documents. If you understand how each circuit works you can make your own diagrams as you go.
We found a manufacturer that had a very good wiring kit but terrible instructions. ... isn't this special ! We documented each circuit ourselves with wire length and all to each component but this is a fair amount of work the first time for sure. The purchase price was lower than others but once documented we were good to go.
I have not seen the kit from Finishline or Ron Francis myself but Finishline has always been upfront and honest with us. Call them and ask about ease to install their kit. As far as best documented kit I have seen the Painless is about the best, but they are also more expensive. If you are good with wiring then most kits have basic quality needed but be ready to ring out each circuit yourself on less expensive kits.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

Look at www.painlesswiring.com Their manual of directions is very clear The harness is very good. Use at least a 12 circuit one.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectable 302, C-4,Ford 9 inch
Not Ranked     

American Autowire. Big colorful directions, with the wires colorcoded and labeled. The wiring harnesss comes with a plug that fits GM type steering columns.

regards
Old 11-22-2006, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After trying a conventional harness I have rewired my kit using this product.
http://www.isqe.com/

It is an amazing product.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

I used an 18 circuit Painless setup and it was painless to install. Plugged right in to my Ididit column too.

Roscoe
Old 11-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

The Ron Francis Wiring harness from A & C is from American Auto Wire.
I got mine from A & C, no regrets, spent a lot of time worrying about "Could I do it".
Once you lay out the wires and get a good understanding on how to run the wires thru the car, it goes pretty easy.
I put grounds up front, on the cowl bar and out back. I also soldered all my connections where I was not using connectors supplied in the kit.
Tested all the connections with a 12v battery charger on low amps.
Comments from some people about the wiring in the engine area are rewarding.
You see some builds and they look like they just didn't care about it.

Just take your time and it is no big deal.

At least I didn't burn the car to ground, but I can tell you before I started that's what I thought would happen.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 11-27-2006, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Adding to what Jim just said: If you look at it as wiring an entire car it could be overwhelming but, like the build itself, look at it in sections. Wiring the lights, wiring the instruments, etc. In other words, break it down to smaller jobs. You will find it goes much easier and less scary.

Roscoe
Old 11-30-2006, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys: I believe i am going to go with AC. Is it complete? That is includes everything from gauge attachment all the way to the alt wiring?

Automan.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C- 351w 5spd
Not Ranked     

Automan,
A&C uses the Ron Francis harness and it contains everthing, dash and alternator wiring included and all necessary connectors. I bought mine directly from RF and probably saved a few dollars. (I think A&C charges about $395 or a little more now for the harness). If you call RF, the salesman will ask all the pertinent questions, e.g. steering column connections, type of alternator, etc. to make sure you get all the right connectors. Good luck on the rest of the build!!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ANTIQUE AND COLLECTABLEFORD 460
Not Ranked     

American auto wire all the way the hardest part is deciding whare to locate the fuse panel