Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Antique & Collectibles (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/)
-   -   power brakes yes or no?? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/antique-collectibles/94921-power-brakes-yes-no.html)

saltshaker 02-20-2009 07:43 AM

power brakes yes or no??

with disc brakes are they need'd?

Bob In Ct 02-20-2009 08:31 AM

Not necessary, but discs usually take a lot of force. Since they operate on a vacuum they don't rob any power.

Bob

marcalan 02-20-2009 08:35 AM

would be a nice to have, as it would be closer to a modern feel.

wtm442 02-20-2009 11:59 AM

Power assist disc brakes - absolutely!

Who wants a car that can get to 140 in a blink of an eye, but needs a parachute to slow down before you disappear over the curvature of the earth?

bobcowan 02-20-2009 03:04 PM

It's personal preferance. A lot of people like PB abd PS. A lot of people don't. The car is so light you don't really need them to be comfortable.

Frank Messina 02-20-2009 04:12 PM

Absolutely not needed. If the car doesn't stop you've got other problems that should be addressed. Wrong master cylinder, lousy pads, wrong pedal leverage. People routinely skip over the basics and go straight for the power assist pill which is a lot of extra work and expense for nothing.
Frankl

jdean 02-20-2009 05:06 PM

I've had both. One Cobra I had was equipped with both PS and PB. It was a joy to drive. The next one I owned had neither and what I missed was the PB.

I will go with neither on the next car. I will work at optimizing the non-power brakes, but will not hesitate to add PB (hydraboost) if I think it will help significantly shorten the stopping distance.

Fordzilla 02-20-2009 06:52 PM

Non-Power Brakes properly set up work just fine. I run Wilwood Discs & can stop on a dime.

h2oman 02-20-2009 07:10 PM

Driven both.

I'll take my PB anytime over one without.

RICK LAKE 02-21-2009 04:05 AM

It depends on who's cobra

saltshaker Jon it depends on who make of car it is. I am not going to answer for any one but from ERA experience. When I got my car I started with the 11" rotors in the front and the car stopped well. There was a bigger improvement when I went to the 12" rotors and dual piston setup. The car really stop.%/ The car doesn't have power assist brakes and IMO doesn't need them. ERA sells and outboard brake setup for the Jag rearends. These brakes may also be dual piston in the back. If not for me wearing my 5 point harness, I would have put my self through the windshield more than once. 60-0 mph my car stops in 116 ft with no lock up of the front wheels. This is quick. If your car has the ability for ABS and or Traction Control, IMO it is worth the added money to have the systems installed. Safety is always the most important thing.%/ I have driven for the first 4 years my CJ5 jeeps that had neither PS or Disc brakes. 4 wheel drums 11"x 2". For a car wieghting 2,500 lbs also and running l60x15" tires, this taught me how to drive without power anything.:eek::JEKYLHYDE**):rolleyes: A manual brake master cylinder, depending on bore size and ratio of pedal to cylinder puts out about 1,400- 1,600 pounds on pressure to the calipers. With power brakes you are going to about 1,800 psi to the cylinders and calipers. If you want to get crazy, a hydro boost system is in the 2,200-2,400 lbs. Bigger trucks run this system. They are also selling it for all cars now and it works on the land barges real good. It uses the P/S pump for power instead of vacuum from the motor. They are working on electric brakes for cars in the next couple of years and possible a magnetic system after this one. As for power brakes on a cobra, with a good 11" front rotor setup for street driving NO. For racetrack driving, bigger brakes and maybe. Flushing the brake system at the track needed to be done more offen, because you get a softer pedal and the fluid is getting boiled. This is RESEARCH you will need to do before buying your cobra.:) Rick L.

CSCHWER 02-21-2009 04:37 AM

Anyone out there make a Hydroboost setup for a SPF? I already have the PS.
Chet

Jerry Clayton 02-21-2009 06:34 AM

check out the systems on 2003-2004 mustangs

FUNFER2 02-21-2009 06:34 AM

No power assist. With the cobra being so light and small, with PB you can't feel the road. The same with steering, it would make it jittery. BIG brake's is the answer. If you don't have the strength to turn the steering wheel with a cobra, you need to get into the gym. ;)

CSCHWER 02-21-2009 08:23 AM

Hey Kev,
Ever bust your knuckles while drifting without PS? You are 100% right on the bigger
brakes.
Chet

Cobrabill 02-21-2009 12:31 PM

Fact-no 2500lb car NEEDS power brakes.If you WANT them,then fine-but they are not needed.

PB came about as a result of 4000lb+ cars and women.

FUNFER2 02-21-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSCHWER (Post 923097)
Hey Kev,
Ever bust your knuckles while drifting without PS? brakes.
Chet

lol, nope !

eddytheb 02-25-2009 01:56 PM

Yes better to be safe than sorry and with guys going for the larger wheels its helps. Now as for the clearance issues in the driver side wheel well we are working on that. I have made mods to a car we are doing and will be pulling a mold off the wheel well in order to offer a recess panel so you don't have to run around with a big hole in the fender any more. This will be an easy addition just grind out the hole and bond the part into the hole. We are still working on it but you can watch how its coming at this link. http://eddytheb.com/projects-in-progress/larrys-cobra/ I hope to have the mold in A&Cs posesssion in a few weeks

http://eddytheb.com/wp-content/galle...mvc-044s-1.jpg

Stop by and see what we are working on @ www.eddytheb.com

jdean 02-26-2009 01:50 PM

Yeah but if your brakes fade faster than the Cowboys in December, PB and new pads will cure it.

Cobrabill 02-26-2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdean (Post 924611)
Yeah but if your brakes fade faster than the Cowboys in December, PB and new pads will cure it.

Are you saying that power brakes will cure fade?:confused:

CHANMADD 02-26-2009 02:14 PM

I have driven both and mine has Power brakes with a relatively small booster.I would not have it without...it may stop but will require more effort.
.........I only weigh 160 ,
John:)