Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Arizona Cobra's (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/)
-   -   Roush Engine problems (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/101200-roush-engine-problems.html)

dcdoug 12-03-2009 12:09 PM

Canton told me that the oil level should be up to just touching the top of the kick-out. So if you pull the oil temp sensor or the dipstick fitting, oil will not flow out the top. If it does, you have over-filled it. I do have a different model Canton pan though.

Karl Bebout 12-03-2009 03:04 PM

jhv48-Jim, wanna help us understand how your wife knows about the length of someone else's dip stick?

mikiec 12-04-2009 06:13 PM

Ron,

You will be missed. Down 155 lbs.

Mike

csx4910 12-08-2009 08:23 AM

Thats Awesome Mikie!!

Well it has been a week since I started this post and still no word from Roush. I left another Message for Joe from the warranty department yesterday. From here on I am going to be calling him or Todd every other day until I get answers. I doubt I could get to Jack Roush himself but I sure wish I could. I douible checked with the shop my car is in but they havent heard anything either. In 2 1/2 months they have had 2 updates from Rousha dn that was Charlie calling them to try to get updates. I want to keep this post going to see how long it takes them to get my motor back to me. It has been almost 3 months now since the motor was shipped to them..
Ron

Got the Bug 12-08-2009 08:51 AM

Ron,

Just asking again. Did you originally buy the engine directly from Roush or a dealer? Is the dealer still around? Sending you a PM now with another idea.

csx4910 12-08-2009 11:18 AM

The dealer went out of business 6 months after we finished the car so I am out of luck there. Fortunatly, the person that actually built my car now works at Hot Rods by Dean, a local shop here that is doing the work on the car. They havfe not had much succes in getting communication from Roush either. Any updates have been from us calling them to bug them. That is teh part that pisses me off the most.
Ron

madmaxx 12-08-2009 11:27 AM

I would get Jack Roush's email, and send him a certified letter in snail mail with the details of your issues. This is completely unacceptable. PERIOD

csx4910 12-08-2009 11:46 AM

The official date is that my motor was picked up to go to Roush on Spetember 22, 2009. I left 4 messages for Joe(3) and Todd (1) before Todd called back. Then 2 more to Joe before he finally called me to tell me that they normally communicate with the dealer (except he didn't, Charlie my mechanic called someone in engines December 1st to finally hear they were waiting on pistons). I left him another message on 12/7/09 and let him know ai would be calling every other day until we heard something. If anyone has a way for me to contact Jack I am all for it. Any help would be appreciated!
Ron

SandyC 12-08-2009 02:21 PM

Barrett-Jackson is coming to Scottsdale January 18th and Roush has a large display with corporate representatives there. Hopefully you'll be up and running well before then.

twobjshelbys 12-08-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 1008011)
Barrett-Jackson is coming to Scottsdale January 18th and Roush has a large display with corporate representatives there. Hopefully you'll be up and running well before then.

Todd was at Scottsdale last year and gave me some info on my engine )age wise) that factored into the decision to buy. Chances are he will be there this January and I'll be camped on the fate to get some answers. I'm hoping face to face contact will help drive resolution.

On oil capacity I forgot to mention the oil cooler.

ERA Chas 12-08-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1008066)

On oil capacity I forgot to mention the oil cooler.

Your filter is 3/4 qt and the cooler and lines are an additional 5/8 qt.

Spoooky 12-08-2009 06:57 PM

Ron,

I spoke to Todd about a month ago and my Cobra will be on display in their booth at Barret-Jackson this year. I would focus on Todd. He was great to me when my motor was out. He'll get you answers.

csx4910 12-09-2009 09:10 AM

I just a call from my shop and Roush has gotten my pistons in and will be starting to put the bottom end back together. I will keep my fingers corssed that it will be on the dyno early next week and possibly get shipped back by end of next week. The final word from Charlie is that to make sure the cylinder walls were completley rouind and to get rid of the scoring they did approx a 5/1000 bore then honed so at most the Ci didnt increase by 1 or 2 at the most. I just am anxious to get it back and get some miles on it.
Ron

DWRAT 12-09-2009 12:00 PM

Finally, some good news.

madmaxx 12-09-2009 02:14 PM

Sounds like Roush has until Jan 18th, then you are going to sit in a chair next to their booth at Scottsdale and hand out flyers detailing your ordeal.
Period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by csx4910 (Post 1008254)
I just a call from my shop and Roush has gotten my pistons in and will be starting to put the bottom end back together. I will keep my fingers corssed that it will be on the dyno early next week and possibly get shipped back by end of next week. The final word from Charlie is that to make sure the cylinder walls were completley rouind and to get rid of the scoring they did approx a 5/1000 bore then honed so at most the Ci didnt increase by 1 or 2 at the most. I just am anxious to get it back and get some miles on it.
Ron

Spoooky 12-09-2009 03:56 PM

Good news Ron. It will all work out and I know it's worth the wait. Just not so long.

RedCSX1 12-09-2009 05:24 PM

Check your motor mounts,

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1006160)
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/DSC_2857.jpg

I also saw from this that the engine appears to be mounted slightly off level, I assume this was set up for a track. The drivers side side pipe is also rubbing on the body and now I'm starting to get a crack. Want to try to fix that soon.

Check your motor mounts they may have loosened up. Put a level across the motor. Valve cover to valve cover to check to see if its level. if its not it needs to be.

ERA Chas 12-09-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedCSX1 (Post 1008403)
Check your motor mounts they may have loosened up. Put a level across the motor. Valve cover to valve cover to check to see if its level. if its not it needs to be.

From my post #50 on page 4:

"If the motor is cocked to one side, remove the mount nuts and loosen or remove the trans mount nuts too. Then carefully lift the block by each cylinder head front surface and put a level on the EFI flange. Only lift the motor the bare minimum to get it to level. You MUST watch the clutch linkage and shifter while doing this. That's why your pipes are banging the cutout. I realize you bought it this way but the car was poorly assembled. And you were given the wrong info about the oil level."

CO2BRA 12-11-2009 05:05 PM

My Roush 427, installed in March 2006, always died everytime I put the brakes on. (No, it wasn't insufficient vacuum.) Anthem Motors and I chased this problem for almost a year. That included replacing the original carburetor at Roush's expense, which no one, including Roush, really expected would cure the problem (and it didn't). Finally, Roush came to Barrett-Jackson here in 2007 and took my entire car back to Michigan with them. They returned it two months later, problem solved. It had another new carburetor, but that wasn't the problem. They were never specific about what it was, and maybe they kept that private between them and Anthem. Ultimately, I was satisfied.

I know know someone else who had a complete rebuild free after he let his Cobra Coupe be used in a magazine shootout which hurt the motor.

If you want to talk directly to a Roush guy, go to Barrett-Jackson next year and stop by their booth (possibly shared with Superformance.)

Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB 12-11-2009 08:53 PM

Ron & Richard, I usually spend a couple of days each year manning the SPF-Roush-Shelby booth representing SCOF and a current SPF owner for the sales force. The semi trailer belongs to Roush so they are there in force including Todd Andrews. You can also find Lance Stander there. Between them, all problems can be resolved.
Tim, I'll keep an eye on your black beauty. We'll use it for the kid photos. LOL
AZ Bob