LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     
Default Roush Engine problems

Spooky/other 511 owners,
If you are out there I was curious about your experience when your motor went back to Roush and if anyone else with a 511 has had to send it back to Roush for warranty work.

Joe the head of the warranty department tried to tell me today that my 511 was the only one they have had come back to them for warranty work. I know he is either lying or wasnt there when yours went back. I tried to tell him that but he was adamant that they have not had problems with this motor(which I know is a lie since I and others have had problems since the beginning with these motors. By then (and after 2 months of leaving messages and not getting a repsonse from him) I was not in a mood to try to argue with him.

Todd from sales has been good about returning my calls but the only update I have had in over a month is Joe calling the shop to tell them they are waiting on pistons from their vendor and it will be at least 2-3 weeks before we have a chance of getting it back.(they have had my car 9 weeks , it sat for 3 weeks as wthey had lost my warranty paperwork and tried to claim it was not under warranty) I can clearly see they don't wish to have to talk to the actual customer since the 4 messages I left him went ignored until I called Todd to try to help the situation along.

I just cannot see how ignoring the customer is a good way to build brand loyalty with anyone, especially in this economy. I love my motor when it runs good but I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER ROUSH PRODUCT AGAIN!!!!

I dont mind if people are straight with me and tell me it will be a while longer but dont lie to me about never having another 511 sent back to them. Has ayone else experience this problem with them?
Ron

PS Everyone can bring on the the "you should of never bought from them in the first place" comments but what can I say, they had a good reputation and I wanted the biggest motor I could fit in the Cobra. I know now I could of have a keith craft or other motor for half the price but I was new to the hobby and didnt check out my options first. I have learned my lesson and will never buy the first of any new motor and wont buy from Roush again.

Last edited by csx4910; 12-01-2009 at 08:42 AM..
Old 12-01-2009, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Todd and Roush as a whole habe been good to me. I hope your problems get worked out. I am sure you will be taken care of.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I don't have a Roush engine, but I still think you picked a great engine builder. No engine builder is perfect and it sounds like you got an imperfect engine. Unfortunately. Big companies have problems sometimes, but so do small companies. No company is immune, but it sounds like Roush has always come through in the end. Almost never quickly, but they do come through from what I've heard and read.

I will say that custom pistons can take a few weeks to make, but I truly hope you car is back in your garage very soon and all the troubles will be behind you. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427
Not Ranked     
Default Good to Cobra Industry

Todd and the entire Roush team have been good to me and I think the entire Cobra community. I don't remember other engine builders offering the 2 year warranty on engines before Roush, I could be wrong. But about all engine builders do now, so I think that's significant. During the past year, Roush donated an engine to one of our fellow Cobra brother that was in need. The list so on and on. Are they the most responsive to individuals, probably not, that's why they have a dealer channel, that usually handles warranty work. I'm not trying to make excuses for Roush because it sounds like they may have dropped the ball on YOU. But, I always stick up for my friends, right or wrong and not flame them because they screwed up. I realize that I'm not perfect and I screw up everyday. I get a smile on my face every time I start my Roush 427IR. db # 2723
Texas Motor Speedway
Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft / 427sr/tw
Not Ranked     
Default roush

i love mine...no problems thus far 2,500 miles...
Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft / 427sr/tw
Not Ranked     

oops...i have a 427.. Sorry
Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I want to be clear, my issue is NOT with Todd at Roush as he has always bent over backwards to help but being in sales they dont have much influence with Warranty. I am not denying that they have a good reputation but to tell me that no one else's 511 has been sent back or had problems when I know for a fact at least one other 511 in Phoenix went back to them for similar issues and others have had numerous problems that didnt get sorted out until after they released the motor isnt cool in my opinion. The warranty is great ( I wouldnt of bought this expensive of a motor without one) but be honest with customers. If I lied to customers in my business I wouldnt be in business very long.

My engine has spent more time in the shop and with Roush getting repaired than I have been able to spend time driving it. It was back in the shop 9 times in the first 6 months with one problem after another, all pointing back to the parts being replaced by Roush as they found out that the some of the componets they used on previous motors would not stand up with this one.
Ron
Old 12-01-2009, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Not Ranked     

Roush performed some warranty work for me. It was not speedy but they were utterly professional. If I get another engine down the line, it will likely be another Roush-built motor. No, I don't have a 511, but I think the key point is the integrity and competence of the company. My experience says they live up their reputation.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Everything is relative. When the V12 in my old 330GTC Ferrari needed a rebuild, we waited 6 months for a set of +.010 pistons to come from Italy. The total rebuild time for the job was just short of one year, but it didn't seem that long since I had CSX 3121 to play with.

The good old days...
Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MIII, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

I had one problem with Roush when my motor was first delivered, it was corrected (granted, I waited like you did) and then all has been good. When I called to report the problem, I also got the run around...they prefer to talk to the installer or company you ordered the motor from. It sucks being the "one guy" with problems with a product/company, but it sounds like your the one of the few. I'd let them know how you feel, feedback is the only way to make some change and get some headway in getting your motor back. Keep the faith, it will work out...Roush will make good.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilibit View Post
Roush performed some warranty work for me. It was not speedy but they were utterly professional. If I get another engine down the line, it will likely be another Roush-built motor. No, I don't have a 511, but I think the key point is the integrity and competence of the company. My experience says they live up their reputation.
This has been my experience as well. I recently had a problem with my engine and I was out out of the official warranty period. Roush picked up the tab...no questions or hassles.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-01-2009, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

Ron,

One of the things that's frustrating about this is that the clock is ticking thru the driving season here in Phoenix. This is prime time right now and will come to a halt around June, then not pick up again until October. At this point I think Roush owes you a new engine, not a rebuilt one; the next one on the shipping list should be yours. A letter outlining your experience to Jack Roush personally might be in order too. Or, when he comes out for the NASCAR races here in Phoenix he normally stops in at one of his dealers for an appearance and is very approachable, you could tell him in person of your experience. His appearance schedule is on the Roush website. Also, have you tried to call Jack at his office? You never know. I met him at an appearance at Sanderson Ford last year and he seemed like a pretty down to earth guy. I think you've done your fair duty in attempting a resolution thru the chain of command and now maybe it's time to go to the top. You might tell Todd that is your intention first. This is one of their top-of-the-line engines and you deserve better treatment.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Sandy,
Besides missing the prime driving weather I am more worried about the fact that I have only been able to put 600 miles on this motor and car in a 17 months. Not all fo that was Roush's fault as it spent 6 months under car cover during my house remodel but between July of 08 and Nov of 09 it was in the Dealer 9 times for several weeks at a time due to one problem after another. The rear main seal, sheared distributor pin, problems with the fuel injection etc. By the time I will get it back I have but 6 months left on the warranty to try to see if any other problems develop. This time they say it overheated and the cylinder walls were "scored" so the block needed a bit of a bore and hone, replacing the pistons, rings, seals, valve guides and I dont know what else. The car has NEVER overheated since I have had it as I have never been able to get a run longer than about 50 miles at one time. I may have to try moving thsi up the food chain if things don't improve soon. At the very least I wthink they should offer to extend the warranty but I dont know that that would ever happen.
Ron
Old 12-01-2009, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

anytime somebody uses the all inclusive word "never" imo doesn't know what they are talking about. that is a pretty big statement. you should have called bs immediately.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Guys, I don't have a dog in this fight so what I'm about to say is just my opinion and they are like armpits. Everyone has at least two and everyone else's stinks. Seems to me that in this age of customer service when competition is so high, entertaining a phone call from a customer who spent big $$ for your product and got poor service for their $$ should be of utmost importance. A company like Rousch is certainly a leader in thier field. I wonder if they think they are so far ahead in the field that they don't have to entertain customer complaints or they are not answerable to thier customers. I know that I've heard this same song from at least three people in Phoenix over the last 18 months, and I'm wondering what their rep is like nationwide. Perhaps JR needs to know what people think about the service of HIS company.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."

Last edited by Danr55; 12-01-2009 at 05:14 PM..
Old 12-01-2009, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold Backdraft #488 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Hopefully you will get your motor back better than new with the problems worked out. I had a problem with my new Roush motor and was very happy with the out come. See my post. Roush is replacing my motor
From my own experience with Roush I believe you will be satisfied with the outcome when all said and done. I wouldn't be as concerned about getting someone to state they have had the same problems with other motors rather hope what ever problems they had they have got them worked out and you get what you wanted in the firs place.

Best of luck and speak to Todd.
Peter
Old 12-01-2009, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

My Roush 427IR still cuts out at 4400 RPM. Calls and emails to Todd and John are ignored. I'm just looking for help and can't even get that.

Oh and it drinks and spills about 2 qts of oil every 1k miles

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 12-01-2009 at 04:37 PM..
Old 12-01-2009, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
My Roush 427IR still cuts out at 4400 RPM. Calls and emails to Todd and John are ignored. I'm just looking for help and can't even get that.

What octane fuel are you running? My motor was cutting out at close to the same RPM, and we figured out it was a fuel problem. I lowered the octane and the problem went away.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I live in the Boulder, CO area (Lyons, about 12 miles north) and run 91. (It's the sea level equivalent of 93).

We're going to replace spark plug wires. The 90* plug wires were loosening up as they were vibrating to the header bolts and pulling off, but we have winter now.

Trying to find the source of the oil leak. It is puddling on the ground. I think some or all of it is blow-by from the valve covers K&N filters.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post

You might want to invest in an inexpensive dye kit and light. Does it smoke when you drive it?

Also, when the motor was originally delivered and how many miles are on it? Is there any possible way to work back through the original buyer (i.e. if they are a Roush dealer, they might be able to get a response).

Lastly, do you think the cut out has to do with the FI? Maybe the FI electronics need to be swapped out. Has someone with FI expertise diagnosed the problem?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it