Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra's and Barrett Jackson

It looks like both the csx cars went for 100K + comm . I feel bad for the guy who only got $33K for the superformance when a much cheaper built replica went for the mid 40's. I met him at the Pavillions after the auction and talked a bit. Tons more cars there this year but overall a much lower quality in my opinion. There were some deals to be had on several mustangs. 68 GT 500 for under $100K and a beautiful 68 Red GT-350 freshly restored went for $75K.

Were there any other cobras sold at the other auctions?
Ron
Old 01-23-2011, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

The collector car market, along with the economy, remains in the tank.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Ron,
Can you tell me more about the SPF? Was it Titanium Silver by chance?

Stu.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Another negative comment by marcocsx3121?!

Both CSX 4000 cars were used, both had miles and both were sold by factory authorized Shelby dealers...............and they both brought over 100k each

Hummmmmmmmm

SGB
Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
Ron,
Can you tell me more about the SPF? Was it Titanium Silver by chance?

Stu.
No. It was yellow. And another black SPF sold for $55K plus 10% buyer's commission.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Actually, I was referring to the prices brought by the Shelby Mustangs. I do not consider Cobra replicas to be in the collector car category. Fun toys, undoubtedly, but I don't believe that you will find them in car collections.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

I have one in my collection.

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 01-23-2011, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX7076, 289 FI
Not Ranked     

I have one in mine as well.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have one in mine , even if my collection is small

I dont like it one anyone plays down our replica cars as the money I paid for mine was not a replica , they are every bit as real as every other car on the road and when anyone asks me if it is real I just look at them with no response and think , why is he asking , probably jealous because he cant afford one and he wants to make himself feel a little better

Just my .02 cents worth
Old 01-23-2011, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
Were there any other cobras sold at the other auctions?
Ron
RM Auctions in Arizona sold CSX3259 for $643 500 just the other day.

http://www.rmauctions.com/AuctionRes...s&Currency=USD

Cheers,
Old 01-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcocsx3121 View Post
Actually, I was referring to the prices brought by the Shelby Mustangs. I do not consider Cobra replicas to be in the collector car category. Fun toys, undoubtedly, but I don't believe that you will find them in car collections.
I believe Jay Leno has one in his collection too.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcocsx3121 View Post
The collector car market, along with the economy, remains in the tank.
There were several models of cars where the prices were up. Many were GM cars. 57-67 Corvettes and 67-69 Camaros (mostly Z-28's). Overall, prices were substantially higher than last year.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

I would disagree about the prices. Several of the cars sold have sold previously at other auctions in the past for 30% more than they did this year. Shelby mustangs, boss 429 etc several were 20-30% less than last year. I havent missed a BJ for 20 years. ALsothough I am far from an expert do the math, instead of 750-900 cars about 4 years ago, they are selling 1300 cars, many of which at lower price points to make the same overall dollars. The quality of the cars was also much lower. 60's vettes that were bringing $100K or higher 1-2 years ago were in the 70-80K range.

On the other hand, people with money still have money and spent much higher on some customs than I thought they would go for. Lets face it, the Ron Pratt's of this world are not or never will be hurting for money. I saw more cars sell for $30-60K than I have ever at Barrett Jackson in a long time.

The high seller for the auction was a Corvette with matching Cigarette boat and trailer for $675K. I believe, (and I know you all will correct me if I am wrong) it was the first year in at least 8 that they didnt have a million dollar car if not many. The highest dollar cars were for charity(great cuases all) but paying $450K for a $50K mustang isnt a true reflection on the car hobby, it is a great tax write off for the rich and teh charities benefit greatly for it. I appreciate that about barrett jackson but they tied up much of prime time saturday with charity cars because they lacked true, high worth cars that would normally be sold during that time slot.
Ron

The SPF for 33K was indeed yellow, a very bad color to paint about any car except a ferrari
Old 01-23-2011, 05:05 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
No. It was yellow. And another black SPF sold for $55K plus 10% buyer's commission.
I wonder if that's my old (yellow) SPF #237, as I noticed the new owner was trying to sell it online.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
I would disagree about the prices. Several of the cars sold have sold previously at other auctions in the past for 30% more than they did this year. Shelby mustangs, boss 429 etc several were 20-30% less than last year. I havent missed a BJ for 20 years. ALsothough I am far from an expert do the math, instead of 750-900 cars about 4 years ago, they are selling 1300 cars, many of which at lower price points to make the same overall dollars. The quality of the cars was also much lower. 60's vettes that were bringing $100K or higher 1-2 years ago were in the 70-80K range.

On the other hand, people with money still have money and spent much higher on some customs than I thought they would go for. Lets face it, the Ron Pratt's of this world are not or never will be hurting for money. I saw more cars sell for $30-60K than I have ever at Barrett Jackson in a long time.

The high seller for the auction was a Corvette with matching Cigarette boat and trailer for $675K. I believe, (and I know you all will correct me if I am wrong) it was the first year in at least 8 that they didnt have a million dollar car if not many. The highest dollar cars were for charity(great cuases all) but paying $450K for a $50K mustang isnt a true reflection on the car hobby, it is a great tax write off for the rich and teh charities benefit greatly for it. I appreciate that about barrett jackson but they tied up much of prime time saturday with charity cars because they lacked true, high worth cars that would normally be sold during that time slot.
Ron

The SPF for 33K was indeed yellow, a very bad color to paint about any car except a ferrari
From what I watched and I watched a good bit, I too thought the 60's Vettes that were easily bringing 100 to 150k a few years ago going for 50 to 70k.....
a 55 and a 57 T-Bird each went for less than 40k, 5 years ago, they would have easily brought 75k each.........
I saw one couple that sold a car, I think it was a Shelby Mustang walk away from the block with a look of disgust on their faces as the car sold for about 30 to 40% of what I thought it should have gone for...........A lot of cars were "well bought" and some of the "custom" and resto cars went for stupid money.......
Each year things change,fads come and go,so you never know what to expect.....
David
Old 01-23-2011, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Barrett Jackson

Here's a link to the Scottsdale sales.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&ed=01/23/2011

Pretty easy to use.

I was surprised by some of the deals. I do think the boss cars were holding their value. Boss 302s and 429s are both out of my range.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

Did you see a replica Austin-Healey there? Friend told me that the announcers were fooled thinking it was a real one. (?) Wondering what make it was if you did.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     

AZ Pete sold his FFR at B-J lot 1535 for 39K. Good price. The yellow SPF must have just crossed the block at the wrong time Thursday night when the auction seats were bare.
The Black SPF (older with a BB) did OK on Friday night.
AZ Bob
Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

This was my 3rd year attending, second year selling a car, and i thought the quality of cars this year was outstanding. There were still several turds, but most of the cars were exceptionally nice and i can guarantee that most sellers did not even come close to breaking even. I know that i ate 17,000 on the car i sold at the auction this year. My car went really late on Thursday night after the charity cars. Hardly any bidders were left.
I thought the two continuation Shelby cars selling for over a hundred and at the same price was odd as well.
I'm glad i did not have a bidders pass this year or i would have brought home a 65 fuelie corvette and a 61 Corvette. Plenty of deals to be had for nice collector cars. The C1 and C2 Corvette market is in the tank, minus a few outliers that made absolutely no sense at all-ie, a guy paid almost 90 grand for a small block 67.
Anyway, i had a great time even though i lost money. It's a great auction to attend and i am sure i will be back again.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 01-23-2011 at 08:01 PM..
Old 01-23-2011, 08:09 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB View Post
AZ Pete sold his FFR at B-J lot 1535 for 39K. Good price. The yellow SPF must have just crossed the block at the wrong time Thursday night when the auction seats were bare.
The Black SPF (older with a BB) did OK on Friday night.
AZ Bob

Just checked the site and confirmed that was my yellow SPF (#237). Good deal.