Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR III 302
Not Ranked     
Default Kit cars from US to Canada

Can you buy a completed kit Cobra in the US, and take it to Canada for license and title it there. My neighbor is from Canada and says that you can not do this, does anyone have any info?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Pretty sure he's right. Even importing the kit is a nightmare and has to be done in multiple parts, i.e. minus the suspension etc.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

No, No, No, No. Mark Logan deals with the Canadian market for Shelbys and Superformances, he's at Nevada Classics.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR III 302
Not Ranked     

Thanks , I'll tell my neighbor about Nevada Classics
Old 11-18-2011, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

It is not possible to legally import a completed kit car -- Cobra or other -- into Canada, unless it was completed more than 15 years ago (and you have the paperwork to prove it).

Nevada Classics must be doing something else exactly (that is, importing some Cobra parts and arranging for completion in Canada).

I have posted extensively on this before. Suggest you search through my old posts for more details.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
It is not possible to legally import a completed kit car -- Cobra or other -- into Canada, unless it was completed more than 15 years ago (and you have the paperwork to prove it).

Nevada Classics must be doing something else exactly (that is, importing some Cobra parts and arranging for completion in Canada).

I have posted extensively on this before. Suggest you search through my old posts for more details.
I agree 100%. I had my Cobra sold to guy in Canada but we found out there was absolutely NO legal way to get it into the country. That came directly from Transport Canada. Even though it was legally titled as a 1965 in the U.S., they said unless you can show 15 years worth of previous license renewals, it isn't coming into Canada.

Jim
Old 11-18-2011, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

I imported mine it less than a year ago... I actually had to wait 4 months until it had its 15th birthday to bring it across. Then it was easy. And mine was actually built licensed and driven in Canada then exported to the US; no difference, once into the US it cant come back for 1 years.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just curious--does 15 yrs become 16yrs in 2012, or is it a moving up date.
To what does the 15 yrs apply?
Old 11-18-2011, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Johnson View Post
Just curious--does 15 yrs become 16yrs in 2012, or is it a moving up date. To what does the 15 yrs apply?
It is based on the month and year that the kit car was completed. So a kit car completed in Oct 1996 should now be eligible for importation.

Please understand, this does not refer to the date the kit was manufactured, but to when it was finished.

How do you prove when a kit car was finished? You probably can't. But you may be able to prove when it was first registered/titled for the road. If you have a state government-issued title that clearly shows the car's true age, then you should be fine.

Last edited by SunDude; 11-18-2011 at 02:38 PM..
Old 11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

The choices in Canada are getting better. Of course there is the Riverside product built by Hi Tech (the Superformance supplier) available in the 289 models (riversideracers.com). Riverside is working on the GT40 as well as other choices, all done proper and legal with Transport Canada (if the dealer you are talking to tells you the trick is to ship the non chassis/body "starter kit" parts FIRST so customs is not watching for them) run, don't walk as the law may be gaining on you!

There is hope that Transport Canada may be enlightened to allow rollers with some help from legislation, but that is a ways off.

Roy at Classic Car Connection (classiccarconnection@hotmail.com) has a 15 year old Superformance MK III with a nice 427 that he brought in recently that is available.....

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

The choices in Canada are getting better. Of course there is the Riverside product built by Hi Tech (the Superformance supplier) available in the 289 models (riversideracers.com). Riverside is working on the GT40 as well as other choices, all done proper and legal with Transport Canada (if the dealer you are talking to tells you the trick is to ship the non chassis/body "starter kit" parts FIRST so customs is not watching for them) run, don't walk as the law may be gaining on you!

There is hope that Transport Canada may be enlightened to allow rollers with some help from legislation, but that is a ways off.

Roy at Classic Car Connection (classiccarconnection@hotmail.com) has a 15 year old Superformance MK III with a nice 427 that he brought in recently that is available.....

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-24-2011, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     

Riverside Motorsports has a deal with Hi Tech Automotive South Africa whereby they produce and supply Canadian starter kits exclusively to Riverside Motorsports .These kits were developed to comply with transport Canada regulations . The Canadian starter kits leave the hi tech factory as kits and are not turn key minus vehicles that are disassembled, shipped into Canada in 2 separate shipments and then reassembled, as this is a criminal offense in Canada. .
Roy, from The Classic Car Connection,is the exclusive Canadian agent and he assists the buyer with the importation of the kit as well as the sourcing/supply and assembly of the Canadian manufactured /sourced donor parts
The starter kits available are;

MK2 FIA
MK2 Roadster ( Slabside}
427 sc
All Riverside Canadian Starter kits are Shelby licensed products

For Further information contact Roy at The Classic Car Connection tel 905 7048475
or Ross at 905 5635959
Old 11-25-2011, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Hi Tech Canadian starter kits

Have any Hi Tech Canadian starter kits been successfully imported into Canada?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2D View Post
Have any Hi Tech Canadian starter kits been successfully imported into Canada?
Pretty sure the answer is Yes.

Call Ross or Roy, if you're interested in one.

They've also just posted a red 427FE stroker (488 cid) powered SPF Cobra (SP00097) on Cobra Country today.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 22XX
Not Ranked     

Riverside Canadian starter kits have been successfully imported into Canada. For further information please contact Ross at 905 563 5959 or Roy at 905 704 8475.