Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Arizona Cobra's (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/)
-   -   (RE) Tired (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/143546-re-tired.html)

csx4910 05-01-2020 02:51 PM

(RE) Tired

Well, it is official - Effective the end of this month I will be exiting Healthcare on a full time basis. I will be staying on our board but will be happily unemployed for the first time in my adult life.

I have been in healthcare 34 years and the last 15 running the company my bride and I founded. I plan to finally be able to drive my car more often and love on my 7 grandkids a bit more and annoy the neighbors firing up the car at 7 am before it is 100 degrees.

It isn't the age but the mileage and as the Doc can attest to Healthcare wears you out faster than most careers. I hope to take a vacation when all of this is over and see about opening up a Classic Car Shop next year once my new place is finsihed

Happy Trails and keep in mind that Social distancing is best done driving your car by yourself! I drove to Payson for a Croissant/Donut last weekend with another group and it was beautiful up there.
Take Care and stay safe!
Ron

Cobrakeith 05-01-2020 03:15 PM

Enjoy your retirement Ron, I'm sure you will find more than enough to do to keep busy.

csx4910 05-01-2020 04:08 PM

I just need Covid to go away for everyone’s sake, be home long enough to have my wife get tired of me so I can go start another business. I am a glutton for punishment, what can I say? :D

twobjshelbys 05-01-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csx4910 (Post 1475865)
I just need Covid to go away for everyone’s sake,

Do you think it will? Or will it come back every year like the flu? (Except this would be in addition to the flu we know.)

Phx Mike 05-01-2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csx4910 (Post 1475861)
Well, it is official - Effective the end of this month I will be exiting Healthcare on a full time basis. I will be staying on our board but will be happily unemployed for the first time in my adult life.

I have been in healthcare 34 years and the last 15 running the company my bride and I founded. I plan to finally be able to drive my car more often and love on my 7 grandkids a bit more and annoy the neighbors firing up the car at 7 am before it is 100 degrees.

It isn't the age but the mileage and as the Doc can attest to Healthcare wears you out faster than most careers. I hope to take a vacation when all of this is over and see about opening up a Classic Car Shop next year once my new place is finsihed

Happy Trails and keep in mind that Social distancing is best done driving your car by yourself! I drove to Payson for a Croissant/Donut last weekend with another group and it was beautiful up there.
Take Care and stay safe!
Ron

Congrats Ron and ENJOY!

Mike

Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB 05-01-2020 07:34 PM

Congrats Ron & Pam. Retirement is a blessing. I'm so busy now I don't know how I had time to work.
Never knew how good I was at retiring until I tried. I was made for it. You can be too.

AZ Bob

BigGuy 05-01-2020 07:34 PM

Welcome to the retired world!

I retired in 2013 after 33 yrs in healthcare. (hospitals and retirement communities).
I have To say I miss my staff and patients. Not the regulations.
You’re correct working in healthcare, it does wear on you.

I spend time on a few non-profit boards, and play with cars.

Enjoy the freedom!

Dwight 05-01-2020 07:39 PM

I retired in 2011 and found that I had six Saturdays and one Sunday every week.
Now with this virus thing I have seven Saturdays every week but I'm under house arrest!

Welcome to the world of retirement. :)

Dwight 05-01-2020 07:49 PM

I did break out last Friday and drove to Arkadelphia, Ark to drop off a 363 Dart block and a 427 crank with Lance at Craft Performance. Checked out the progress on my 427 block. Talked about parts I need to buy and back on the road. Drove to Kansas City Ks and bought a Tremec 3550 to go behind the 427. Which is going into my 66 Fairlane. Then east to St Louis and turn south to Memphis Tn. Then east to Florence Ala.
1602 miles in 24 1/2 hours. Traffic was light and all the stupid people who normally block the left lane must have been in their house. Fast and easy trip, drove 78 mph most of the time. There were a few zone with speed limit less than 70 but not many.

They have great BBQ in Arkansas.:)

csx4910 05-01-2020 09:15 PM

Sounds like fun. We had a pretty clear path last weekend up the mountain about 125 miles to 5000 ft elevation and made the trip in 90 minutes but that was because none of us had our wives with us and traffic was light

olddog 05-01-2020 11:20 PM

Well I had planned on working another year or two. There was so much more I wanted to finish. Then my liver went south and I am facing a lot shorter end date than I expected. So I retired rather hastily. A mountain of work to get affairs in order. It has been intense. I'm looking forward to things slowing down.

That all said my advise is to live life to the fullest. If that is work for you, that's fine. I would recommend taking lots of vacations and doing those things while you still can. You never now what the future holds.

I have never heard anyone on there death bed say they wished they had taken fewer vacations, spent less time with family, and spent more time working.

Although I do have some dope head relatives that would feel that way if they ever get there head on straight. Well that's not going to happen.

Scotchman 05-02-2020 06:01 AM

Congratulations Ron ! We are all looking forward to your new shop. :3DSMILE:

Karl Bebout 05-02-2020 10:17 AM

RETIREMENT

Best job I ever had!

I bailed at 59 1/2 and the only reasons I wished I'd stayed another year was that I would have gotten to see my boss "walked out of the office" and after the buy out, I would have received a nice package. Oh well. Life is good! Miles to go, before I sleep.

dave from mesa 05-02-2020 02:20 PM

Congrats Ron.
Have a great one while it lasts.

Chicagowil 05-02-2020 07:05 PM

Good for you Ron! Enjoy each day like its the 1st & last! You have been a productive, contributing person. All that matters now is feeling "relative" each day. That only comes from within.

I retired 3 years ago to follow my wife's dream to keep working andmove from the mid west to Boston. I "retired" from the medical imaging industry after 28 yrs, 6 years of "consulting" and took what I called my "Walmart Greeter's job"- a retail banker, for 5 years. Got where I could not stand the amount of " stupid" that came in the doors.

Playing with cars each day and enjoy life so much more!

DrDuc 05-03-2020 01:41 PM

Congrats, Ron. A great idea finally coming to fruition. With all the virus mess, it makes me think harder about retiring sooner than later. All the problems getting PPE and government regulations is taking most of the enjoyment out of working.

I did get the Boss up to Flagstaff this weekend. Nice weather and light traffic made for lots of fun.

I can't wait to see your new shop!
Bruce

t walgamuth 05-07-2020 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1475868)
Do you think it will? Or will it come back every year like the flu? (Except this would be in addition to the flu we know.)

Come back? I don't think it will ever go away. We'll just have to be very careful to avoid exposure.

Chicagowil 05-07-2020 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1475868)

And we have never found a cure for the cold virus (virus as in COVID-19).

I have purported that the problems of the planet and our society that there were too many people. Never thought that it would have a "correction" in this manner! Always figured it would be due to war.

One of our friends in Massachusetts had been diagnosed with COVID 19 last month. He seemed to get over it. Now it seems to be back. But they will not give him a test to confirm since he is not in a "high risk" category. I think this is happening a lot more then we think and the virus is being way under reported.

hauss 07-15-2020 01:53 PM

Live love and do not fear for, death will come to all. Get out and drive your cobra have fun you just might find yourself living!

Danr55 07-15-2020 04:16 PM

Congratulations Ron and best of luck with your retirement. I hope you're more successful at it than I have been. As for the covid-19, this will all be over right after the elections in November.