26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2003, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ford, E303 cam replacement ?

Hi guys, it seems that I may have a flattened cam lobe on my 1993 Mustang EFI 5.0 with the E303 cam and GT-40P heads. I'll take it apart this weekend and find out for sure. Anyway, if the cam is bad I'd like to replace it with a similar performing cam, just not the Ford product. Do you have any suggestions ? I like the performance and streetability that I have with the E303 so I'm looking for a name brand cam that will do the same thing - except last longer. John
Old 02-19-2003, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You have more than a little problem if you flattened a lobe. Being a roller lifter design you're likely to have all sorts of stuff (needle bearngs etc) floating around.

And if a roller came off of the lifter the bone shaped retainer would have slipped allowing the adjacent roller lifter to spin as well. My money is that you don't have a flattened lobe.

I believe Crane makes the E303 cam (and roller lifters) for Ford. If I remember correctly, the cam even has a Crane part number on it. I'm not commenting on the quality (as I've always had great experiences with Crane) but if you don't want a 'Ford' cam don't buy from Crane.

I'm looking forward to your findings!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 08:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I haven't heard of any issues with "Ford" cams. I'd be looking deeper to determine the cause, not the manufacturer. My guess is it would have happened with anybodys cam and could happen again if the cause is not determined.

Ernie
Old 02-19-2003, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Have you pulled your valve covers off or drained your oil yet? If you have did you check your oil with a magnet? Let us know.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-20-2003, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Car builder/restorer FFR
Not Ranked     

John, The only time I have seen a roller cam go flat is from a bad lifter. It has happen to me once. My suggestion would be use a F303 cam and a new set of lifters. You will like the additional performance of the F cam over the E.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to azguy2000 Send a message via Yahoo to azguy2000
Not Ranked     

what about a Comp Cam?http://www.compcams.com/information/Products/Camshafts/
Old 02-20-2003, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for the input. I did change the oil about 300 miles ago ( mid-January) and did check it for metal with a magnet. There was no metal in the oil. A month ago the oil pressure was about 55 lbs. and it's dropped to about 35 lbs. About the same time I noticed a very slight tick in the engine, now it is a very noticeable tapping coming from the pax side valve cover. I've got 4,300 miles on the engine ( total miles is about 66,000 ) since installation of bearings, cam, lifters, push rods, heads, and intakes. On Saturday I'll remove the intake and pull the cam and check the lifters. Gordon, I really like the E303 that's in it, it gives me a nice idle with only a little lopeing. I've listened to an engine with the F303 and it seemed a bit too wild for the driving that I do. I'm driving the car about five days a week and 10 to 50 miles a day. I will let everyone know what I find on Saturday. Once again - thanks, John
Old 02-20-2003, 10:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

John,

Are you talking about my car? As you know I have the F cam installed. Very streetable and like you I drive it almost everyday.
Actually the car sounds meaner than it reallt is.

19,000 miles and counting.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 02-25-2003, 10:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

John,

What's the latest on the engine??

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 02-25-2003, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Mikec, Bill Lardner dropped by the other day and his stock cam makes my E303 sound mean and your F303 makes mine sound stock. Anyway, I am happy with it. On Sunday I found a roller rocker that was very loose, the #6 cyl., intake valve. I worked all day yesterday and today I spent the entire day doing income taxes. I'll be working again tomorrrow and finish the taxes on Thursday. With any luck I'll check the push rod and lifter and be on the road on Saturday evening. John