LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2004, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool New Member

What's up guys?

I'm a new member to the site and looking forward to joining the world of Cobra ownership. I've convinced the wife so now the research and saving begin. First thing is to get relocated back to the valley, that will be happening April/May then a house with ample garage space (honey you don't really need that den/office do ya?). Till then I'll occasionally bug ya'll for information. I've done some research and see that FFP and ERA seem to be popular kits. Would like to get opinions. FFP seems to direct you toward the Mustang part path while ERA seems to leave the running gear decisions up to the builder. ERA also recommends the Jag rear end over the Ford 9" rear. Any information is welcome and appreciated.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You may also want to check out "Classic Roadsters." They are back and Don Scott the new owner know what he is doing. My CR is almost ready for paint, just a few minor things to do first.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

I wish I knew back two years ago what I know now. If you are going to live in Phoenix I will help you from thowing yourself off the cliff when it gets hot here. [1] Get the car insulated (fire wall and under carpets [2] Get the biggest stock engine you can afford and carburated instead of fuel injected because you get more HP out of the carburated then fuel injected. [3] If you want to drive it in Phoenix in the summer you need air which means you need a soft top (hard top is better) [4] If someone tells you a motor has X HP get it dynoed from factory and understand what they mean about that HP [5] Get different opinions on different cars but it all depends on how much you got to spend [6] My live axle is fine but you may want independent but I don't miss it [7]Get the biggest brakes now instead of later; [8] Understand what is under the car shell and what that does for you; shocks, sway bars, suspension items [8] Service is everything after the fact; Manage that relationship with care and expect results [9] I have very good experiance with Gordon Levy regardless of what other people may tell you [10] Read FF Forum; punch in what engine you want and read up on all the questions and suggestions from Gordon Levy (of course I will expect some free things from Gordon for telling you this). I have had a FFR car with fuel injection and back to carburated; Gordon Stage 4 engine with all the bells and goodies; air conditioner (call vintage air around the corner from Gordon who can steer you in the right direction if you want air); soft top needs adjusting from FFR , ( I suggest the Top Shop at 14th Street E Indian School for "adjusting". I would move the rear mirror up (Levy did a good job so you can see out the back with the top up). Put the coil overs on for sure; If you put a radio in make sure there is a box behind it so you don't loose noise into the trunk. Whatever you do get the best item for that particular thing because you will wish you did after the fact. If you get a soft top put the brace on it as the crome will pull away at high speeds around the windshield. Drive a cobra with a few different engine combinations. I drove a 390 (won't tell you the car maker) and found that my car would smoke that car with little problem. All the guys with cobras wish they would have done something a little differently but all in all they all smile when they are driving there cars even if their wifeys are not. It is the job of all cobra drivers to scare the hell out of their wifes.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Hey guys....he's started a duplicate post earlier, which already has 15 or more responses....scroll down. And he seems to have disappeared from there...might want to save your time....maybe just playing?
Old 01-15-2004, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     

Hey Fitz,
Do you have comparison figures to back up that a carb is better than injection on delivering more horses. Me thinks that it's the other way around. Although Gordon builds a good motor I think that two of the same but one with carb and one with injection might tell a different story. I happen to think the injection engine would blow your F%#@$* doors off.
Another consideration is the way people build their cobras. Some like straight line racing and others enjoy the road course. But if the dragstrip is what trips your trigger then go for it.
The most important thing of all is if your happy with what you got. Not all would want the same as you. It is nice to see that you are very pleased with your choices.

Hersh
Old 01-15-2004, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

Another very viable option is to get a used one. Very often you can get a lot more for your money. As an example, I took a $30K hit when I sold mine. The guy who bought it knew it too!

Pick a budget number and start looking. I think you'll be surprised at what you find.

Other names to consider....especially in the used market:

High end:

Kirkham
Contemporary
ERA
Image Autoworks (built like Contemporary)

Mid range:

Mid States
Unique

Low end:

Don't know never looked at them

Every one has bought or built a car that suits their particular desires and budget. On this forum you will read heated debates on the relative merits of even the most minor details of each car and engine combination.

You need to ask yourself some penetrating questions before beginning to shop.

1. Are you trying to get close to the look and feel of an original or is it ok to just look like a Cobra from 50 feet away or is it somewhere in between?

2. Can you handle a high horsepower to weight ratio car under full throttle? If not then no need for big engines with lots of mods.

3. Where do I spend my money? Looks or power or both. Which do you want most?

4. Drivability. Think brakes, steering and suspension. Also big HP engines can be tempermental.
Jaguar independent front and rear gives the best handling in the twisties and on the road in general. Live axle rears drive just like any other car with live axle. (like 9" Ford) No better or worse.

After asking these questions and I might add, getting rides in several different configurations, you should be on your way to making a decision.

For crying outloud, don't let a flashy paint job sell you!! Beauty really is only skin deep with these cars. The mechanicals are far far more important. If you like the mechanicals and not the paint, buy it right and get it repainted in the color scheme of your choice.

Hope this helps you.

Al
Old 01-16-2004, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the Responses

Thanks alot for the the responses. I'm fortunate enough to have a "carchick" for a wife and she's ok'd the project but told me I need start the fund seperate from the vacation fund. I've lived in the Valley previously for 4 years and AC was one of my questions for the car. Set up wise I'm considering the 351 and would like IRS backside with coil overs and the bigger brakes. I have no problems with doing majority of the build but have no bodywork experience. I can always get the body repainted but I don't want to be down the road with a breakdown, so I want to do the mechanics the best way to fit budget.

I'm going to make a visit to the club out here in VA. From other post they seem to be a strong and active group so I'm looking forward to it.

Once again I appreciate the welcome and information.