9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     
Default Light Blue Cobra spotted

My wife saw a light blue cobra southbound on Pima this AM. It had the number 143 on the car. Anyone know who's it is?
John
Old 05-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Yes.....

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 05-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The car is an ERA 289.

The owner is Jim. You met him at the last anniversary party. We were at his office.

Mike

Old 05-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

WHile we are on the subject of spotting cars, there was a silver car with black stripes spotted just south of Payson this morning about 9:00AM. Looked kind of like Greg Schroders Superformance. Any takers?

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 05-25-2008, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Haven't seen that one. Does anyone go to the pavillions anymore? I went yesterday hoping to meet some of you while I am anxiuosly waiting for my car to be finished but there was not one cobra and only one mustang. I was there around 5-7. Is there other car gatherings that people go to?
Ron
Old 05-25-2008, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 Mass-Flo mild race engine
Not Ranked     

Ron,
I'm there every weekend with my coupe but Saturday I was sicker than a dog..I slept the entire day....I'll be their next Saturday... Dave
Old 05-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

My wife called me when she spotted "an idiot" weaving in and out of traffic driving very aggressively heading S. on Pima. Hope he doesn't hurt himself or more importantly somebody else.
John
Old 05-25-2008, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Dave, I hope that you get over the last treatment quickly and return to your jovial self.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

Was it the cobra acting foolishly?

Jim is out of town for the summer and it mave have been one of his buddies driving.

Mike

Old 05-25-2008, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know it wasn't me since I don't have a cobra yet to drive crazy. Seriously, I would like to attend one of the performance driving schools to learn how to handle the car as I had a good friend get killed not respecting a car's power. Have any of you attended one here in the valley and have any you would recommend? I know Bondurant is here but it seems to be pretty pricey. Any suggestions for a novice with a car twice as powerful as I have driven before?
Ron
Old 05-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

While it may be pricey.. Bondurant is the way to go. Fitz has done it 2 or 3 times.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less for now..
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
there was not one cobra and only one mustang. I was there around 5-7. Is there other car gatherings that people go to?
Ron
There were at least 10 Mustangs there yesterday including mine. Sure you were at the Pavillions?

Seriously, I would like to attend one of the performance driving schools to learn how to handle the car

These are not difficult cars to drive pretty quickly as long as you didn't go crazy in the engine department... I can give you some tips if you like, I have slid these things around a bit - ask Brian he turned the same colour as his car for a moment before he realized we weren't going to die...

Look for me at the Pavs next week, I sit with a bunch of guys in the second row who have mopars, come and join us.. That offer to join us is open to everybody on the forum here - just bring your own chair We have a pretty eclectic group who have everything from incredibly rare and expensive Hemi cars to TransAms, giant Caddy convertibles, Mustangs, Corvettes, Torinos, Chevelles and all sorts of other stuff.. All car guys and all pretty good people...

Steve
Old 05-26-2008, 12:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yours was the mustang I saw. It was setup for road racing with a full rollcage if I remember right. Sweet ride. I just didn't see any cobras. Usually in the past I have seena few shelby's and other mustangs. I will look for you next week.
Thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I drove through there looking for David. Didn't see any Cobras, but there were about 7 Mustangs all lined up like soldiers across from Dave's light pole.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 05-26-2008, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     
Default Fitz did it few times

Mike is right. When I got the first blue 347 Cobra, I quickly realized, it would be nice to go and get some instruction. This was not necessarly just for the Cobra. In the 4 day grand prix they take you through a bunch of stuff. Basically, all new cars will do stuff normal drivers don't think they can do; usually just panic and crash.

Bondurant is nice because it is all controlled using corvettes and those little ford open cars on the last day. In the 4 day and the 1 day refresher course they will let you take your cobra out with the corvettes. (Saves them money using up their stuff; you sign a wavier of course). This is a eye opener as you go from driving automatic everything to a fast car with nothing automatic. I could always catch or leave the corvettes on the main strait but quickly found them on my ass in all the curves. I mean I had to go from 90+ down to 20 and my foot was touching the radiator trying to get the car to slow down. You had to really concentrate. That heel toe crap (keeping the rpms up and car weight balanced was a ***** for me; I just double clutched like old men that don't know any better do). Most fun I have ever done. Took the 1 day refresher course 2-3 more times in their Mustangs Cobras (not very fast at all).

What happens after you own these cobras is you get comfortable in them and speed is a second thought. That is when your troubles happen. You take your car and yourself for granted and the next thing you know you are doing circles. I also decided a long time ago to get very good tires. I would use them up 50% and get new ones. Tires are cheap compared to your head or your passenger.

Bondurant course & track gave me a whole new appreciation on brake / tire usage, running the cars up at proper RPM (Whoa). I mean how many of us are driving these cars in 2nd and 3rd gear at RPM limits.......not! There is no place to do such stuff safely except at a track. Go and watch a few times. It is all about learning the track.

FYI - Going to places like this is very expensive.

The other way is to have guys like Gordon, Mulv, Brian work with you at one of the tracks. You just have to worry about those other guys. I remember one day at Firebird (as a group) when Stewart and I drove around David like he was standing still. Next thing both of us were backwards. Most fun I had in one of these besides Bondurant. FYI, I have never been happy riding passenger in one of these cars. You feel so helpless. Especially if you are with someone that thinks he knows what he is doing. You know the friend that had a uncle, grandfather, that owned two back in high school and that makes your friend know how to drive one of these. No way Jose!

Great Article in the latest July Kit Car Magazine on Bondurant (Has the GTM on cover).

Again ---- The other way is to have guys like Gordon, Mulv, Brian work with you at one of the tracks or drive with you few times...in a parking lot full of water.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great posting Fitz. CSX4910, or what ever your name is, get out to an auto-cross and scare yourself ONCE. Then get some instruction.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The name is Ron. After hearing about some of you guys that get lost and the guys that break your cars, it could be scary enough riding with one of you guys! It is a good thing that I don't scare easily. Seriously, thanks for the advice.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

Doesn't sound like CSX4910 has been on the track or at speed in one of these toys?
Old 05-27-2008, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Only ridden in a cobra. "At speed" is depending on your definition.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     
Default Driver Training in AZ

Ron, there are a couple of racing groups in AZ: Pro Auto Sports Assoc has classes and driver training on racing. Our AZCOBRA groups has participated in it 3 times in the past. We have always been at Firebird tracks (there are 3).
Welcome to ProAutosports!
The other group is NASA Arizona: I haven't been on a track in years but I think Gordon Levy is a leader here. They frequent the PIR track and also have classes and driver training.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/arizona.html
This is a healthy, safe way to learn your manners in a cobra with excess.

AZ Bob