Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Arntz/Butler Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arntz-butler-forum/)
-   -   Butler Registry...It's time! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arntz-butler-forum/103767-butler-registry-its-time.html)

BRI000 02-25-2011 11:18 PM

I believe I have the first car Ron actually sold after taking the business on his own. The plate as provided to me by Ron is BRI-000. I have had the car since the very late 70's or even possibly very early 1980's as I am going off memory. I do still have all of the paperwork and a bunch of files and receipts I will have to uncover.

Its good to see that this sub forum is still active. I will post all of the details you requested and a photo or two in a few days.

BRI000 02-25-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedButler (Post 1079318)
I posted a picture of the hood of my Butler, it has an odd cutout, sort of a tongue near the windshield, is this typical for a Butler? Also my driver's side has a 4 point harness, I'd like to add a harness to the passenger side but that side has no roll bar to attach it to. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Bill

I believe that the modification to your hood was done to accomodate the distributor when using the larger displacement chevy motor. As for your harness, it can be fairly easily mounted to the rear body mounted roll hoop in your trunk area.

SoTxButler 02-26-2011 05:49 PM

Welcome back to the forum. And, congratulations on owning a Butler. Sounds like it may in fact be the first Butler. Cool.

I talk to Ron regularly, so I'll ask him about the BRI000.

As for the notch, yes that was done to accommodate the distributor on the Chevy's which some have said was Arntz's motor of choice.

So, get us some pictures of that car and give me the information so I can get you in the Registry.

Where in California are you located?

BRI000 02-26-2011 09:29 PM

I am sure Ron will remember it. I last saw him about 5-6 years ago while I was up to to visit and pick up some parts. I trust he is still doing well.

I will send you off some further info the beginning of the week.

I am in Brea, California.

cobra94563 03-07-2011 09:12 AM

I'm new and have an Arntz.

Nice to find this group! I'm in No.Cal. I haven't been following cobra activities for a bit, but like to find out more on what you all are doing to change or improve your cars.

I got the car around 1997; it was about 75% complete and the prior owner had worked on it for 11+years and purchased it from Steve Arntz. I completed it and registered it in '98/99 or so.

Feel free to contact me - email is best. Chris

========================================
Butler serial number - none
(i looked all over, and understand this may have been one of the early, early frames. Pre-Bulter, maybe 1970's. The only markings I have seen are "11-79".
(Not sure if that is a date or a chassis number of sorts.)
Club Cobra Handle - Cobra94563
Owner name - Chris Fong
Owner City and State - Orinda, CA
Owner phone number
Email address - cf30@sbcglobal.net
What year acquired - 1997
Mileage - 0
Color - Blue/White
Stripes (if yes, what color)Engine description (size, induction, and any special comments) - 355
Transmission - T10
Rear end (solid or IRS & gear ratio) Jag IRS
Wheels (brand and sizes) Centerline
Tires (brand and sizes) BFG

joyridin' 03-08-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobra94563 (Post 1114456)
Nice to find this group! I'm in No.Cal. I haven't been following cobra activities for a bit, but like to find out more on what you all are doing to change or improve your cars.

I got the car around 1997; it was about 75% complete and the prior owner had worked on it for 11+years and purchased it from Steve Arntz. I completed it and registered it in '98/99 or so.

Feel free to contact me - email is best. Chris

========================================
Butler serial number - none
(i looked all over, and understand this may have been one of the early, early frames. Pre-Bulter, maybe 1970's. The only markings I have seen are "11-79".
(Not sure if that is a date or a chassis number of sorts.)
Club Cobra Handle - Cobra94563
Owner name - Chris Fong
Owner City and State - Orinda, CA
Owner phone number
Email address - cf30@sbcglobal.net
What year acquired - 1997
Mileage - 0
Color - Blue/White
Stripes (if yes, what color)Engine description (size, induction, and any special comments) - 355
Transmission - T10
Rear end (solid or IRS & gear ratio) Jag IRS
Wheels (brand and sizes) Centerline
Tires (brand and sizes) BFG

If I had to guess, it sounds more like you have an Arntz than a Butler. Most Arntz Cobras didn't have a serial number like the Butlers. They are pretty random.

Thor maine 03-11-2011 05:37 AM

Artnz, Butler, G&S, Where did the molds go???

Does any body know what happened to the body molds and frame jigs?Is anybody manufacturing a cobra under a different name??I always liked the Artnz/Butler for the frame and body shape.

lal Naja 03-11-2011 08:48 AM

Don't know about the molds. But I believe that Ron Butler has one last body that can be used as a plug for a new mold to be generated.

I also think he may have the frame jig along with many other minor jigs.

I love the frame & body design and fantasized about taking on the project to continue the blood line. But it would be a huge comittment. Not sure I have the fortitude and definately not the $ resources.

Arthur

SoTxButler 03-12-2011 03:50 AM

Arthur is right...Ron does have one more body, the frame jigs, the hood, scoops, hard top mold and enough parts to probably build another car.

Needless to say, also the complete list of part numbers, suppliers, etc. everything needed which could take countless hours to research and reproduce.

I wish someone would take this on and engineer a renaissance of these automotive works of art. If you get serious, let me know and I will get you and Ron together.

arntz427 03-21-2011 01:31 PM

Arntz/Butler body and chassis

Hello, i was just reading your thread. I have an early arntz cobra that I have been working on but I also have a extra body and chassis that I purchased from Steve Arntz personally up in Danville, CA about 8 years ago.
I got to know Steve about 10 years ago when I called about an ad for a cobra project in the San Francisco Chronicle. He directed me to a mini storage unit where he was storing the car along with a bunch of parts and a really cool old Gurney Weslake engine that he said he was going to put in another cobra. We exchanged phone numbers and I told him I would check with my wife and think about it. When I called him back he had sold the car but told me he had another body and chassis he would sell me. So I met him up in Danville and bought the body and chassis from him. A couple years later I bought the complete Arntz car that I have now and had Steve come look at it for me to verify it was one of his. It was quite entertaining to watch the owner that I bought the car from talk trash about Steve Arntz and what a horrible business man he was right in front of him not knowing that it was him checking out the car!!HAHA. I kept in contact with him off and on over the years. He wasn't in great health when I first met him and the last time I saw him was at the Monterey collector car auctions about 3 years ago. He was in a wheelchair, he had told me he has tremendous back problems from an accident in his past. Anyway..Steve told me that the body and chassis he sold me is a "2nd generation body" that was much nicer than the early cars, he said it could have been produced during the time that Ron Butler took over, so after reading your posts I am wondering if it could be a Butler body? I assume the butler cars are almost identical to the arntz? Is there any way of telling if the body is a butler? It has not been cut out yet, it is just as it came out of the mold. Any info would be appreciated..I am also looking to sell the body and chassis if anyone is interested? Thanks.

lal Naja 03-21-2011 05:02 PM

Some photographs would be informative.

Does the frame have the serial number stamped on the left front corner?

Does the cowl have the cutout for the SBC Distributor and is the hood shaped to fit the cutout?

What price are you asking for frame & body?

Arthur

arntz427 03-27-2011 08:51 AM

Asking $4800 obo for the body and chassis...i am trying to figure out how to post some pics...

arntz427 03-27-2011 08:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics..it doesn't appear to have the cutout for the distributor...i will check on the chassis number...
Attachment 18485

Attachment 18486

Attachment 18487

lal Naja 03-27-2011 04:23 PM

Not sure I can identify what it is as of yet. Perhaps others can...

Do you have a seperate trunk & hood lid skins? These pieces will be needed when the cut-outs are made. Also the underside of both these components have additional fiberglass structure that is not shown and will be needed.

Have the trunk & engine bay inner-skin/structure been glassed in? What about all the steel structure that would be in front of the dash that makes up the door hinge mounting points and chassis bolting mounts.? Also steel hoop in the trunk that will be the rear mounting points to the frame and roll bar mount.

Cockpit does look similar but the dash does not look like a Butler at all. Not mine at least.

Do you have door inner & outer panels with the hinge/catch beam structures?

Looking forward to seeing the frame photos.

Arthur

joyridin' 03-27-2011 04:55 PM

It does look like an Arntz. The actual dashboard section is missing in the photos. Note there is no gas indent on the rear quarter. As I found out, Arntz cars never had this. Classic Motorcars, CMC/Streetbeast, and Arntz were the only ones I know if that had no gas cap indent.

Do you have all the other pieces?

DMNTED 04-18-2011 09:39 AM

Hi Guys,
I just picked up my Cobra yesterday from a long time friend. It’s a long way from California; the car made its way to NY around 1999, based on my read of the Forums, I think it’s either an Artnz, Butler or something in between.

The car is titled as a ’84 with a 351W and a Jag rear. The first hint that led me to think it is an Artnz or Butler is the roll bar. It has the three point that extends into the passenger seat like a few of the cars I have seen posted in this group. The frame design and pedal box seem to be very close in design, along with the engine placement and interior style.

Like JGODDARD posted a year ago on this thread, my frame also has welded into a rear cross “G-R 170”. Only today I have a better sense of where I should be looking for a possible BRI# on the front frame and will take a look tonight when I get home.

I have posted a few pictures in a gallery for your to take a look at.

Rob

lal Naja 04-18-2011 05:23 PM

Hard to tell. More photos would be good. Engine bay, trunk, frame shots would be nice.

Arthur

DMNTED 04-19-2011 06:23 AM

Hi Arthur,
I added some frame shots, you will see I have some clean up work ahead of me. I'll take a few pictures of the engine bay and trunk tonight. The engine is set rearward a bit under the cowl. And the fuel tank is positioned towards the rear of the car along the bottom of the trunk. In one of the pictures, you can see the fuel line coming out of the bottom of the trunk, its a staight line pointing to the ground on the driver's side.

I did not see any stampings on the frame, looking through the from driver's side vent or in the front driver's wheel well. Maybe I'll have to get it up in the air again and take the wheel off.

Thanks,
Rob

joyridin' 04-19-2011 01:25 PM

well, if I had to guess, it would be an Arntz. Mine has a plate welded on the frame stating who the car was built for. I see yours they welded the name in the frame. The frame and suspension look to be either Arntz or Butler. Like yours, my tank is the bottom of the trunk so to say.

Now, the interior I am not really sure. Mine looks nothing like that. Yours has the ignition in the column, but I guess somebody could have done that on their own? The brake handle and shifter also are not int he same place as mine and the dash looks different. All thing that probably could have been changed by the first owner I guess.

Good luck with the car!

VC455 11-13-2011 05:34 AM

My Butler found

5 Attachment(s)
I JUST stumbled onto this site. I'm a 25+ year owner of a Butler, met Brett and Cindy, 25 years ago. Have been driving my car every year since. I have some history, but would like to learn more.

Butler serial number
Can't find it, have attached some photos, need more direction on where to look.
Club Cobra Handle
VC455, I also have a couple of Olds, Vista Cruisers, as 'Home Depot hotrods'
Owner name
Steve Sabatini
New Hampshire
Jeepnhusa@yahoo.com

acquired, 1985, in Santa Monica / Malibu CA, I believe built in 1980 by LAPD CA
about 49k miles,
white / light blue Stripes
351 C Ford Top Loader
Jag, Rear end
3:55 gear ratio