Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Arntz/Butler Forum

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default Enough room for a 325/50/15 tire?

I'm interested to know what size tire can fit under an Arntz / Butler. Has anyone fitted a 325/50/15?
Old 10-24-2010, 12:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 registered Brushed Kirkham polished stripes, 427 FE kieth craft 482 efi.ss chassis and all the go gear .
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
I'm interested to know what size tire can fit under an Arntz / Butler. Has anyone fitted a 325/50/15?
With a standard "S" type jag rear end - no problems.

Soul.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, it depends. There is a problem with the tire hitting the inside of the rear fenderwell. If you read a few posts on here, I think it is mentioned a few times. You could probably crank up the spring pressure and make the rear sit a little higher.

Anything is possible if you want it...LOL
Old 10-24-2010, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

Could be getting a little tight for 325/50/15 = 27.79" Diameter. I've got 295/50/15 = 26.61" Diameter. If your IRS is installed in the standard location you may face a space problem as the larger tire is 1 3/16" larger in diameter and that will tighten the space towards the front of the wheel arch by almost 5/8".

I moved my IRS backward 3/4 of an inch in the event that I have to fit a larger diameter tire.

The width may not be too much of a problem. You may have to adjust back spacing with a spacer, or have custom rims made if you have to move inward.

Arthur
Old 10-25-2010, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies guys. Would you guess by the way the wheel is sitting in the wheel arch that the IRS has been moved back? Seems like it's sitting fairly well centered (at least what I can tell from the photo...)

It'll be a shame to get rid of the BFG Radial TA's - such a grippy tire!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

Craig,

From the photo it looks like you have more space than I did, so you may be able to fit the larger tires.

If my my memory is accurate, or if I remember correctly, I thought the original Cobras had the wheel pushed forward in the wheel arch. I do not know why this would have been done. Some Cobra fans stick with this position/location for visual correctness. Is that true fellow Cobra oficionados?

And I thought I heard that Arntz/Butler designed this offset wheel look to imulate the original. And on some of the cars produced the wheel was pushed backward?? Anyone know if this is true?

Arthur
Old 11-10-2010, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As far as width, the Arntz/Butler was designed to be able to fit a 12" tire under the wheel well, unlike most other Cobras. Steve was very specific about his thinking on wheels and tire aspect ratio, and the way the car looked. He hated low profile tires on the car, and the wider the better.
Fore and aft difference can be due to a host of variables.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Steelcomp

Scott, please don't think you can sneak back in here after 5 years as if nothing ever happened. You're still not welcome.

Jason
Old 11-11-2010, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not sure I know what you're talking about Jason. Are you a moderator? I'm not "welcome"?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Scott,

I'm quite sure you know what I'm talking about and I'm hoping that you will use discretion in posting future comments if you choose to stick around. Thank you,

Jason
Old 11-11-2010, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I guess you have some kind of personal beef with me, and not sure why you think it's necessary to stink up this thread insted of sending me a PM or something.
5 years ago? Really??
Little childish, don't you think?