Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Arntz/Butler Forum

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz-Butler - Chevy 350
Not Ranked     
Default 4 Point Seatbelt Anchoring - Where?

I saw there was a thread similar to this but I didn't see anything conclusive on it. Unfotunately/fortunately I bought my Arntz 99% assembled and really don't want to take it apart to find out where I can locate the upper seat belt ties/straps for a 4 point harness. I have noticed from inside the trunk/boot that there is a enlarged/thickened area that spans across the entire back panel. I don't know if there is steel in/around there or it is just a fiberglass build up for rigidity of that panel. The interior is installed and I am fairly tall 6-2 I have the seats placed baiscally as far back as they will go making the space between teh back panel the the back of the seat fairly small. SO is there steel to anchor the belts in there or do I have to add steel or make a hole in the rear bulkhead panel to run the belts through and into the frame in the rear/trunk? Thanks for any info from the experts. next will be Q's on installing the roll bar..... stay tuned.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

My car has a frame tube where the harness attaches to.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz-Butler - Chevy 350
Not Ranked     

Thanks Tom-
Mine has what i thought was just a built up glass member for structural support and not a built up steel member. That will be easy enough. I notice your roll bar is mounted through the rear deck/trunk panel. What are the black vertical members welded to below? Thanks. I was trying to find the demensions as to where to plce the roll bar as I only wnat to drill holes in the baody once. ha ha ha. THanks.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Lather rinse repeat:

The belts should be attached to the roll bar and above your shoulder height. Several pictures of the arrangement in the other topic.

Many questions and trade offs about having passenger side harnesses and their location. As with drier they should be above shoulder height to avoid compression. There is also the concern that the harness without the roll bar keeps the passenger upright in the case of a rollover which makes them the roll bar. Not good. But the chances of a rollover are far less than a collision in which case the belts are useful. You have to decide. But in most cars the cross member behind the seats is not structural. Measure to see if it is the same diameter as the roll bar tubing to be sure.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

I went through the same issue and did not see a lot of good options. The double harness for the shoulders seemed to be harder to center them even on the seat so I elected to use a Y belt. I had seen even some factory cars that go through the back wall and then anchor back to the frame. It seemed to me the connection point should be high as possible on the wall and made of steel. So I welded brackets to the frame. I have also seen brackets made to the back side of the wall with the belts bolted through the wall and brackets. The other option is to add a brace on the roll bar, which puts it at the height it should be. I decided against that becasue my bar is about 3" back and I felt that on the passenger side it would rub the paint when not in use. There are a lot of trade offs on this issue.

If you have not bought your belts yet I would suggest ones where the laps pull up and the shoulders pull down. There is not much room to pull the laps down. RCI has just about all options.

Wayne

Last edited by Wbulk; 02-08-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Old 02-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

They are welded to the frame.