Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-08-2009, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie

Hi ,Just signed up . I'm consider the possibility of building one of these babies. Looking at doing a bit of research before jumping in . So I may ask a lot of dumb questions and a few that have been asked and answered before .So be gentle please

Last edited by LGC67; 10-08-2009 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-08-2009, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the Circus....And to be in Brisvegas of all places!!! Loads of very knowledgable and helpful people up there and on here.... Use the search as you will be directed to do so by those who were once in your position. Enjoy your stay!!!
Paul
Old 10-08-2009, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Oi, we're always gentle on newbie's.

So what kit are you thinking of building and what engine?.

Where is Brissy are you located?.

Never think your questions are silly ones.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Perhaps you could consider buying a completed and rego'd car??? Not that mine is for sale or anything!!! Lol

Enjoy the journey Paul.... I started mine back in 2005 and IT"S BITTEN ME HARD!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is his name Paul????
Old 10-08-2009, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum. I started my build in July and i can tell you that the cobra consumes my every waking (and sleeping) thought. How will i do that? what part will i use? where can i buy it cheap? its never ending!

Somethings to think about are:

- How much work do you want to do yourself? I bought an RCM which i think is the cheapest kit you can get, but the quality is not cheap just the fact that it requires a lot more work. This worked for me cause i wanted to save the money and do it myself. If you paid someone to do the work though it would probably cost the same or more than other kits.

- what do you want to end up with? If it has a carby you better buy second hand.

- Do you want to be able to use suspension and parts from an old donar car you can get cheap or do you want it to use custom or new parts? Some use old jag, holden or nissan parts and some use new holden and ford parts.

you should be able to find all the manufacturers through google. This mag is worth reading https://customkitcarmagazine.com/ also.

Most people on here have the make of kit displayed in their posts and you can click the camera picture below the name to see if they have photos of the build, chassis, body etc.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Name is John actually......not John Actually .......just John
Old 10-08-2009, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not really sure which kit at the moment .

I'm sort of inclined to look for something that has been started and lost interest or whatever . I guess I'm looking at getting the most bang for my buck .
I have made enquires about a mid 90's body and chassis thats on the market ,but have yet to see it. I have heard on the grape vine that there can be problems with rego (compliance) with older kits that have not been registered before ????

I have been involved with Mustangs in the past ,so I'm leaning toward Ford donks?

Last edited by LGC67; 10-08-2009 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: oops did it again
Old 10-08-2009, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Welcome to ya John!! Keep the sense of humour mate you'll need it on here to loosen up sum of the stiffs on here that was stiff not STIFFY.... STIFFY!!!
Plenty of unfinished kits around and they usually come with loads of extras!!

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 10-08-2009 at 08:24 PM..
Old 10-08-2009, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the madness, John. Ask all the question you want. These guys are great!
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 10-08-2009, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm sort of inclined to look for something that has been started and lost interest or whatever . I guess I'm looking at getting the most bang for my buck .
I have made enquires about a mid 90's body and chassis thats on the market ,but have yet to see it. I have heard on the grape vine that there can be problems with rego (compliance) with older kits that have not been registered before ????
I bought mine as an unfinished project and it saved a couple of thousand. Depending on how much work has been done, you just need to be carefully that it has been done properly and also that what has been done complies with ADR and state specific requirements.

It would be worth getting the name and number of an approved engineer from someone on here that complied their kit in QLD.

Old kits are not necessarily harder to register it just depends what stage the build is at as it may have been done with non compliant parts.

Best thing would be to find out what kit it is (manufacturer) and then give the manufacturer a call. They will be able to tell you if they have the chassis test results and if they will still comply.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Ahhhh, another newbie to tear apart.

Na just pullin your leg.

Do plenty of searching on this site, better still if you stick to the Aussie section, if you search other areas you will find regulations to be very different.

My suggestion is to do as I did and I have recomended to others, write up a wish list of must haves, would like haves, and dont need haves.
Then break that list down and compare kits.

Example for me was that I wanted IRS, One piece body tub that could be removed from the chassis, standard wheel base and body length, and preffered a kit that had some points on the board for handling (circuit racing) I also wanted to fit a Gen III (did not know at the time this was the most cost effective option, I thought it would make me a little different)

As far as getting an older kit that has not been engineered, as others have suggested, first find out what kit it is, and does it come with relevant paperwork?
Or is the supplier still around and have a chat to them about requirements and if that particular chassis (it will be numbered) is compliant.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's an AMC kit made by somebody on the Gold Coast (gone now )
Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Thats not one that I have heard of before, may pay to do some more research and find out what you can, maybe also get along to a QLD club meeting, meet a few people and ask about that brand of kit, see if anyone has a completed one?

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

AMC = Australian Made Cobra SO I'M TOLD
Old 10-08-2009, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So if I'm looking at a turn key car ........what's out there on the market?

Last edited by LGC67; 10-08-2009 at 09:39 PM..
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am not sure how complete this list is?
http://www.cobracarclubnsw.org.au/replicas.html

Cruising in 5th

Old 10-08-2009, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGC67 View Post
So if I'm looking at a turn key car ........what's out there on the market?
If your looking at turnkey, then there are many many choices, best thing is to figure out a budget and your requirements.

Cruising in 5th

Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you Boxhead .......(AAAH "BOXHEAD " one of my Dads pet names for me )

Rather than a car built completely by a supplier,I think I'm more interested in buying a "2nd hand car " or as I mentioned before one partly completed .Is there a "for sale " section on this site

Last edited by LGC67; 10-08-2009 at 11:32 PM..
Old 10-09-2009, 12:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is, but I have never seen an aussie vehicle advertised on it.
Best bet will be to keep an eye on ebay, news papers, and possably to ask around the QLD members.
Good luck in the search.

Boxhead comes from my father inlaw, aparently it is an older cartoon charactor?

Cruising in 5th

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: