Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python
Not Ranked     
Default Retractable Seat belt vrs Race Harness

Morning all;

Can someone please confirm what I suspect to be fact here in Victoria with regard to the ADRs and seat belts. I have a retractable seat belt installed.However it its impossible to have a harness and seat belt living together due to a lack of space in my Cobra. I have just ordered a new RCI from Summitt and am going to put it in and remove the retractable.Here in the "nanny state" have I just compromised the laws ?. I suspect I have, but will run the gauntlet anyway.

Cheers
Chris Lidgerwood
Old 04-09-2010, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I have both in mine, but you are correct in saying that they are not ADR complient.
I thought I would use the harness all the time but it restricts your movement making it a pain to look around while reversing ect.
I find I use the retractable for any road use and the harness on the track.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

They are very specific on this one, needlessly.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     
Default Harness mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
I have both in mine, but you are correct in saying that they are not ADR complient.
I thought I would use the harness all the time but it restricts your movement making it a pain to look around while reversing ect.
I find I use the retractable for any road use and the harness on the track.
Hi Gav
Thinking of putting a harness in mine for track days and keeping the retractables fot street use. How have you mounted the harness? Is it onto the rollbar or through the body into the boot? Anyone else with ideas can chime in if they like. The back of my seat is real close to the bulkhead so to get the 45 degree angle on the belts has got me stumped. Don't really want to cut holes in the body.
Cheers
Brett
Old 04-09-2010, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Mine is setup the same as Gav's.
I wanted to get through engineering with just the harness, but now that the retractable belts are fitted, I find it much easier to use these belts as opposed to the harness type.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I have a four point harness, the upper two pionts are onto the roll bar and the lower two are the same point as the seat belts.
Works OK but my headrest gets in the way of the RHS upper belt, I will be modding the seats when they are recovered so it won't be an issue then.

How did the move go BJ?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
I have a four point harness, the upper two pionts are onto the roll bar and the lower two are the same point as the seat belts.
Works OK but my headrest gets in the way of the RHS upper belt, I will be modding the seats when they are recovered so it won't be an issue then.

How did the move go BJ?
Thanks for that mate, looks like I may have to weld some sort of mount off the rollbar. Still in the moving process as some nazi in the Council decided to make up some new rules with Occupancy Certificates. What goes around comes around I say.
Cheers
Brett
Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python
Not Ranked     

My problem is the seat does not allow a hand down either side to disconnect or connect a harness without the seat coming out. As you could well imagine a complete pain in the arse. May have to get inventive !!

Cheers
Chris L
Old 04-10-2010, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

You are allowed to go through engineering with both types fitted.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

David, when I asked the engineer, I was told that is not allowed in QLD.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I presented my car with the harness belts only for engineer, he questioned the NT MVR in the hope of my car being approved with the harness belts only.
This was not allowed as he could not find a precident (since then I have heard of some WA guys being approved), The NT MVR guy told me that I can present the car with both types fitted, as there only concern was that the vehicle had approved seatbelts, any other belts was not there concern as long as they did not affect the fitment or impead the retractable belts.
I suppose it is the same regarding wipers, if you can get the correct wipe percentage with 2 blades that is great, but there is also no problem with fitting 3 and wipeing a larger area.

Cruising in 5th