Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default New Steering column ADR

Just speaking with my engineer, and according to him there is a new ADR coming out 1 July, which may be an issue with our cars. I dont fully understand it, but there are new testing requirements in regards to head impact. You cant just pull a steering column out of a compliant car and put into our, as they all pass ADR69 on crash test, and so dont have to pass this new ADR10 on steering columns.

Anyone else heard about this and what impact it has on us and a way to get around it. Engineer has said Caterham have designed a new boss and wheel that complies?

Old 05-24-2010, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

So is this a steering wheel requirement or a steering column requirement?

I knew that this was coming into effect, but when comparing to the existing ADR i couldnt see the differences.

I just completed installation of my steering column using an old commodore column. I hope its just the wheel cause to change it will mean changes to my pedals which i also just finished. All in all it took me 4 weeks to complete
Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I think it has to do with head impact - so I think both have to be considered maybe? He said the only way to work around this is to actually set up the rig to do the test, and find a setup that works (which might take 20 different columns, bosses, wheels....)

From what I could see it comes into affect 1st June as well, although he was saying 1st July.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hopefully there will be an exemption as there is for all the other collision testing requirements.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Just speaking with my engineer, and according to him there is a new ADR coming out 1 July, which may be an issue with our cars. I dont fully understand it, but there are new testing requirements in regards to head impact. You cant just pull a steering column out of a compliant car and put into our, as they all pass ADR69 on crash test, and so dont have to pass this new ADR10 on steering columns.

Anyone else heard about this and what impact it has on us and a way to get around it. Engineer has said Caterham have designed a new boss and wheel that complies?

I'm a bit thick.......You cant just pull a steering column out of a compliant car and put into our, as they all pass ADR69 on crash test, and so dont have to pass this new ADR10 on steering columns.
What do you mean ? What is the ADR10 ?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

The guy at Transport in TAS said they do not expect any 'destructive' tests to be conducted.

Maybe this will cover the new rule?

Tone
Old 05-25-2010, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob. Smith View Post
I'm a bit thick.......You cant just pull a steering column out of a compliant car and put into our, as they all pass ADR69 on crash test, and so dont have to pass this new ADR10 on steering columns.
What do you mean ? What is the ADR10 ?
ADR10 is specific to steering column and its impact on the driver in the event of an accident. Its pretty heavy going to read and beyond my feeble mind to comprehend. Im interested if any others have engineers worried about this ADR, and wether any maufacturers (RCR - Craig?) are aware of its impacts.

Cheers
Old 05-25-2010, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

No, I'm not aware of any changes. Just checked with an engineer and he is not aware of any either.

I keep an eye on the upcoming changes and there is no notification yet of any changes to ADR 10/02. The changes are usually gazetted for comment first.

We are pretty cautious with our steering wheel and boss recommendations and advise to use that folded prong style collapsible boss with matching approved wheel.

I suspect that these boss and wheel combinations would pass any requirements.

I advise against using the current SASS, Autotechnica etc approved (rather solid looking) cast bosses.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by 400TT; 05-25-2010 at 06:03 PM..
Old 05-25-2010, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ADR10/02 came into force Jan 2010 for new vehicles and June 2010 for all vehicles. Not sure if they class Cobra as a new or exisisting vehicles. I suppose that will mainly effect NSW first because we dont get to 'lock in' our build ADR's at the start like the other states.

400TT,
Have you heard anything about the new emmission ADR being discussed (Euro 5/6). I dont see anywhere that they have considered the fact that a huge percentage of emmissions is from old vehicles and that it hasnt been long enough to assess the effect of the last emmissions change. Are these people complete morons?

I am planning to purchase my LS3 in July, but i dont want to have to replace it when the laws change if the cars not registered.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry guys a little slow on the uptake, 10/02 is old news for me. I thought you were talking about another update. Doesn't appear to have any inpact to us steering column wise, but confirm with your engineer, especially with steering wheel & boss selection.

The states seem to be falling into line with the National guidelines when it comes to emissions. ADR 37/01 is the National requirements. Anything from 1999 onwards.

Zedn, there are no guarantees in life, but considering NSW just went back to ADR 37/01 for emissions, I would be surprised if they would be changing this requirement anytime soon. And you should get plenty of notice of the change anyway.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Really? ADR 37/01 isn't available on the ADR website, says its superceded by 79/02. Jeez they make it confusing!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, definitely ADR 37/01.

Yes, definitely confusing.

You should ask the engineer give you a list of each applicable ADR and the specific details of what to meet in each one.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Really? ADR 37/01 isn't available on the ADR website, says its superceded by 79/02. Jeez they make it confusing!
It's a good idea to purchase the ADRs from the standards mob/rta For a hard copy it's 200 od bucks and almost impossible to read. BUT the CD version is only about 70 bucks and much easier to navigate ( my prices may be wrong ) I used my copy quite a bit whilst building. The rta also said that they would send updates when they arose....they didn't but I didn't prompt them either. Have a look into it. It makes back referencing and confirmation of rules easier without annoying your engineer and incurring extra fees.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...dr_online.aspx

Website is free and always up to date. Not sure how they can charge $70 to burn these onto a disc
Old 05-26-2010, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT View Post
Sorry guys a little slow on the uptake, 10/02 is old news for me. I thought you were talking about another update. Doesn't appear to have any inpact to us steering column wise, but confirm with your engineer, especially with steering wheel & boss selection.
Hi Craig - From what I can see of the ADR is that tests have to be done to determine impact forces etc - was this done on the RCR's, or did your engineer(s) considered un-necessary? Engineer here really seemed to think this will be a major stumbling block, and actually wouldnt even commit to taking the job on until a solution is found.

Cheers
Old 05-27-2010, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We do a lot of extra testing, so we are not a good example. We even test all our seat belt anchorages and have 30 page reports on our suspension.

It's really a complex area when using donor car parts as the donor parts are not installed in exactly the same configuration as in the donor vehicle. And somewhere along the line you have fabricated parts, mounts etc.

It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to another engineer that is familiar with ICV's if you have the opportunity.

My opinion is that a suitable boss and wheel will solve the problem if required. But that's only my opinion.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The clubbies arent worried??

http://www.oz-clubbies.com/forums/in...howtopic=14253
Old 05-29-2010, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The clubbies arent worried??

http://www.oz-clubbies.com/forums/in...howtopic=14253
They seem very laid back over there. I did some searches on the ESC and there a few threads of 'dont worry we will get exemptions'. I hope they are correct!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
They seem very laid back over there. I did some searches on the ESC and there a few threads of 'dont worry we will get exemptions'. I hope they are correct!
I have the same opinion. I feel it could possibly be dangerous for us to implement ESC on our kits. It requires a lot of testing and development before it can be fitted to a vehicle. Look at what the major manufacturers spend to develop it per vehicle. Same goes for air bags, abs and other electronic aids. That's why I believe it will not become a requirement. The same questions were being asked about ICV's when air bags first appeared in production vehicles.

Last edited by 400TT; 05-30-2010 at 01:54 AM..