Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     
Default Introduction and seeking assistance

Hi Guys, my name is Leigh and I have been a long time lurker and reader and now first time poster.

To get to the point, i have been wanting a cobra for 25+ years and looking around for a cobra for what feels like ages. Anway I have finally done it and I purchased Pauls (Ledge) Harrison No. 40.

This is just an awesome car and I will go on about this at another time.

What I am seeking is some advice on getting this registered in QLD from SA. I have been told everything from just get a roadworthy and its done to needing a full engineering report done. I guess I am seeking any advice on what is actually needed.

I have the next few weeks off work which I intend to get it done and I know that there are some things that I will need to do (retractable seatbelts instead of harness...).

Its just that I cant seem to get any consistance advice..... even ringing QLD Transport now 6 times the advice is different each time.

Thanks in advance.

CHeers.

Last edited by leroy17; 08-10-2010 at 03:13 PM..
Old 07-27-2010, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase.

The best person to contact will be an experienced QLD Transport authorised engineer. I would have recommended doing that before you purchased.

I have PM'd you the details of the engineer I would recommend.

Give him a call and see what is involved.

Was the Cobra emissions tested with the throttle bodies on it? If so you should be able to use the report here.

Good luck with it.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Good advice. I would have recommended the same person. And welcome!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Craig,

I will call to discuss and i appreciate your assistance.

Chers.

Leigh
Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I would ring the local MVR RTA? and not mention the car is a Cobra or ICV.
Tell them you have purchased a car from interstate and ask what the process is to register in QLD.
After all once the car has been approved in one state/territory and has a VIN then it should be recognised Australia wide (just like all other cars on the road).
You can bet your bottom dollar that all the people moving to teh sunshine/Gold coast do not need to get engineer reports for there cars.
I know to transfer a car from QLD to NT it was just a case of taking car to MVR where they confirmed VIN and Engine numbers, then stransfered to NT rego.
Back in 1991 when I moved from Vic to QLD this is all I had to do aswell

I know the question has been asked many times what do you do, but has anyone actually tried to just do it like a normal car?

If I move interstate that is what I would be doing, and if a question was raised I would ask why is my car different to any Commonwhore or Foolcan?

I think at times we make it harder for ourselves by expecting it to be some different process.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 07-27-2010 at 08:33 PM..
Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boxhead, I would love to have that system. You would expect that it should work like that.

Unfortunately they are not the same as a production vehicle with compliance plate. And are treated differently.

They need their credentials and specification examined. Whether the vehicle needs to be inspected varies from state to state. Also whether an engineer is involved also varies. You hear of all sorts of nightmares, but I suspect most problems are due to not approaching the correct people and not having the information required.

Same situation for 30+ year old imported vehicles, they cannot just be transferred interstate. They need to be processed by local transport department/engineer again.

But yes, there is a reciprical agreement between the states...but I expect they do look at the age of the vehicle and frown on relatively newly registered vehicles being transferred as it could circumvent a destination states approval process.

All fun and games.

Last edited by 400TT; 07-28-2010 at 03:04 PM..
Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

In most other areas of registration and licensing of individuals and processes, there is now mutual recognition between the States and Territories. This has been a way to reduce red tape and cost. I really can't see why it should not apply in the case of any properly registered vehicle.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I would have thought that since the cars are built as per the NCOP (National Code Of Practice) VSB14, then any registration department Australia wide should recognise it.

And I would argue that point if I had to do anything more than what is required for any other car.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's the problem, there isn't a national standard. The individual states control the ICV registration process. New registrations and interstate transfers.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

leroy17

Welcome! And congratulations on the purchase.

My understanding is that as part of the applicaiton to build an ICV you apply for an exemption to whatever regulations that cannot possibly be met by an ICV (e.g. frontal collision test). This exemption is granted to the builder of the vehicle and is not transferrable. When a vehicle (at least in Queensland) is sold, the new owner should make application for the same exemption. That then stays with the new owner of the vehicle. That being said, I don't know if this is commonly done or if the usual transfer of registration process is used.

During my engineering and registration process, there was also mention of a need to renew this exemption on a regular basis. I don't remember how often but I seem to recall a five year period.

As has already been advised, contact an engineer with experience with ICVs for the latest and most accurate information. Similarly, avoid conversations with QT as consistency will be an issue - as you have already found out.

Geof
Old 07-29-2010, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Geof, yes, the exemption is for 5 years and should be renewed with QT every 5 years. When a vehicle is sold within QLD, the new owner effectively applies to transfer that exemption into his name.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Geof, I was not aware of the exemption having an expiry date. Good news to know now. Well next week I will commence this process and you guys have provided me some info that I was unaware about... especially when you think that you have it all covered. Will keep this updated and let you know.

Cheers.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Great car to buy, even if it is painful to transfer!

Ben