Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #102 Ford 5l Fuel Injected AU 2
Not Ranked     
Question Piping around Air Box

My first post,
I am assembling a 5litre Ford au2 Australian Motor 2002 build received on a pallet basically many pieces after fitting the pipe organ air box I have two pipes that I am unsure of their purpose. At the rear of the box is approx 5/16 alumin, pipe rising and at the front the same size pipe with a plastic right angle snap on pipe that heads across the front of the motor behind the spark pak module and finishes in line with the crome fuel injector lines,Iam thinking this line could be to the Carbon cannister.?????
Another question the cold air pipe about 3" in dia, has a big tube going off at right angles in the rough shape of an ear the only detail i have seen in a Ford manual calls it a sound attenuator my question is has any one removed same and noticed any appreciable noise level increase
Old 08-23-2010, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Trevor

Assuming without pictures but by your description the plastic pipe is indeed the fuel vapour return via a solenoid to the carbon cannister.

Not sure if it is for sound or air flow balance and I didn't try mine without the tube when the car was running but as I am running just a pod filter system the whole arrangement was noisy.

I really doubt that removal of the balance tube is really going to cause much elevation in noise levels unless you have the whole set up running ultra quiet and even then I'm not convinced there will be much variance.

Can you post pics of what you are describing for clarification?

Cheers
Old 08-26-2010, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve
Thanks for your reply you have raised another question "Dump Solenoid" to the carbon cannister the the Ford repair manual makes no mention if you have any data and location etc would be appreciated I do have a few plug connectors going forward from the mass flow connector on the wiring loom that dont have a home for the Cobra layout I am assuming they could be for cooling fans and the like.
Pics I will Try not a computor wiz
Regards
Trevor
Old 08-27-2010, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

I will take a picture of the plug for the canister solinoid for you tomorrow.

I have heard several reasons for the funny shaped thing comming off the intake tube (all of them suspect). Anyway it wont fit under your bonnet so turf it. My motor runs fine without it. Make sure you do fit the air temp sensor to the intake though as this will affect performance.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     
Default Charcoal canister plug pictures

Hi Trevor,

These pics should help you find the correct plug. In regards to the message you sent me, I have finished my build.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-29-2010, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Cameron,
Tomorrow will compare your images with the plugs left over on my loom.
Ps Did you use the solenoid to the cannister some of the guys are saying forget it,that thinking would be ok if the carbon cannister has a non return valve ie won't allow atmosphere back into the cannister.
Trevor
Old 08-29-2010, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess the solenoid is the thing that plug goes into. Yes I am using it. Dont know if it makes any difference. Mine is mounted in the boot as I was pushed for space up front (due to running air conditioning).

Is your motor the 180kw, 200kw or 220 kw. The 220kw motor didnt quite fit under the hood of my DRB so I had to make an adaptor for the throttle body. If you need any help in that area, let me know.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmm, just re read your post. The canister/solenoid does have a tube running to outside but I wouldnt know if it was an inny or an outy. Let me know if you want a picture.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom, BF XR8 260kw, 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

I think the solenoid that is being spoken about is for the carbon canister. Its purpose is to suck fumes from the canister into the engine rather than letting them go the atmosphere, so it's for emissions.

Nathan