Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default Emmisions and pod filters

I currently have a couple of exposed pod filters on my intake. Im having a go at emmisions testing in a couple of weeks, and want to know if they are illegal as is, need to be covered, or should I just put a airbox in.

If they are testing for emmisions, and it passes, then it should be OK as is should it not? Not a biggy to swap in an airbox though.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Andrew, I'm not sure about the legality of doing that but if you consider the popular mod of liberating extra kilowasps by cutting holes in the factory airbox... more air, more fuel, more bad stuff burnt, more bad stuff out the exhaust... that's the logic I would apply. Isn't it also going to contribute to induction noise that might register on the dB test?

Having said that I hope I'm wrong! Just thinking out loud as usual.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Wouldnt more air equal more efficient and complete combustion and less emmisions?

I think the issue as Sambo says is induction noise. But just in case i would put it on any way since thats how that motor comes from the factory.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

not worried about noise so much as its just emissions and not full engineering - god knows when Ill find someone\sometime to do that! Took it around the block with the street exhaust tonight. So quiet - I feel like less of a man everytime I start it up now.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Just hug your trophy you won last year and you will feel better
Still waiting for my signed poster too.
Cheers
Old 06-17-2010, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

I asked the same question of my engineer and he had in the past argued with VicRoads and they agreed it didnt effect emmissions. I used a single pod filter. But hey I'm in VIC and your in NSW, and we know the interstate differences with engineering etc as per Baz's experiences. rgds Gregg
Old 06-17-2010, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

When I had my car engineered, a pod filter was an acceptable modification. The reasoning was space, factory air boxes are bulky.

Not sure if they affect emissions in a stock engine as they are before the MAF and any increased airflow would just be compensated by the ECU.

I would try and run with pod filters. I always thought the issue with Pod filters is that any official could easily identify them and pass out a defect, even though they would not have the knowledge to put a nut on a bolt.

I would be concerned with induction noise with pod filters.

Phil
Old 06-17-2010, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Mine went through with a pod filter OK but that's Victoria. I've got Phil's factory airbox if you need it. Just cable tie it in somewhere if they knock you on the pod filter.

Cheers

Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ill probably just have a crack with it as is. If it doesnt fly Ill just change it and book in in another month. Not stressed as there is really no hurry.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

You and Baz can compare notes I guess. Let's hope your process is more progressive and supportive.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: drb,5.4 ltr,jag f/r
Not Ranked     

andrew dont plan on passing in the first couple of visits mine took 6 visits starting in january and finally passed in may i have twin pod filters and thay didnt seem to worry the guys at the rta alsio i had front and rear o2 sensors oh yeah and 6 cats with 2 mufflers then 1/2 tank e85 mixed with 1/2 tank premium unleaded, 1 tip i can give you is book 1 in youre name and get your wife to book in 1 also as you can only book 1 at a time in your own name and further bookings cancel out previous ones try to get botany instead of penrith as the guy at botany that did mine was very helpful and explained where and why it was failing really top bloke another tip would be to take it to injection perfection bankstown or hitman at penrith approx $1000 plus parts but they have all the gear to read the emissions therfore it can be spot on before you go to test at botany(only wish i knew this before i done mine), what brake setup are you running, as i was told today that if you have different booster and master cylinder manafacturer (mine Ford)to brake calipers(mine Jag) you have to complete an almost complete ADR full brake test which i was told today would cost $12500.00 WHAT THE F@#* so i am going to change booster to jag and hope it goes ok, damn this is hard but what the hey
GOOD LUCK
Old 06-18-2010, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

The big bucks would be to hire a race track for an hour or two !
Old 06-18-2010, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Holy crap, if that is right about the brakes then Andrew is in strife.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the track should only be about 2k or so but a mate of mine does driver training at eastern creek and said i could use part of the track when he was there hopefully i can line it up with engineer at the same time although once i change over to all jag components then it should only be a very short test and cheaper to, will have to wait on reply from rta if this will be acceptable
Old 06-18-2010, 01:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB "Rough as Guts"
Not Ranked     

andrew dont plan on passing in the first couple of visits mine took 6 visits starting in january and finally passed in may

Looks like the RTA keeped this guy waiting toooo long
Old 06-18-2010, 02:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss290cobra View Post
andrew dont plan on passing in the first couple of visits mine took 6 visits starting in january and finally passed in may i have twin pod filters and thay didnt seem to worry the guys at the rta alsio i had front and rear o2 sensors oh yeah and 6 cats with 2 mufflers then 1/2 tank e85 mixed with 1/2 tank premium unleaded, 1 tip i can give you is book 1 in youre name and get your wife to book in 1 also as you can only book 1 at a time in your own name and further bookings cancel out previous ones try to get botany instead of penrith as the guy at botany that did mine was very helpful and explained where and why it was failing really top bloke another tip would be to take it to injection perfection bankstown or hitman at penrith approx $1000 plus parts but they have all the gear to read the emissions therfore it can be spot on before you go to test at botany(only wish i knew this before i done mine), what brake setup are you running, as i was told today that if you have different booster and master cylinder manafacturer (mine Ford)to brake calipers(mine Jag) you have to complete an almost complete ADR full brake test which i was told today would cost $12500.00 WHAT THE F@#* so i am going to change booster to jag and hope it goes ok, damn this is hard but what the hey
GOOD LUCK
Who told you this? I need to do some research, but there was a clubbie that im following on OZclubbies who did his brake test last week and passed. He has a wilwood dual master cylinder set up so mustnt be a factory setup. His engineer is Peter Gillard.

Who is your engineer?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Darryl, I reckon your new engineer is making you jump through unnecessary hoops there. I dont think there is a cobra kit in Australia that has same maufacturer boosters, master and slave cylinders. Jag front brakes, ford rear, wilwood masters on mine. Looks like we have a great choice of engineers in NSW - those still wearing nappies, and those that are that fed up with the system they arent prepared to take any new cars on.

I also cant understand why it took your car so many tries to pass emissions. You should have an engine there that exceeds the criteria of the current test. Guys have gotten old LS1's to pass with the right tune. Im going to lob in with my standard tune and see how it goes. If it doesnt pass, I get another excuse to take it for a spin.

I reckon I will eventually find a way through this mess, but if not Ill either move to QLD or the NT or sell it to someone in a state with reasonable laws - so Im open to offers on Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Old 06-18-2010, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

I will give you $10.00 but only if you get the brush marks out of your paint.

This is getting ridiculous, I think the closest we are going to get to building cobras in the future is by putting racing stripes on a prius!

Phil
Old 06-18-2010, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Andrew the simpliest thing like adding extractors can change the emissions output also different cats or mufflers other than factory, lenght of exhaust also theyre are so many variables, not as easy as you think, the reason mine took so long was that everytime it failed i took it back to intune motorsport and change program slightly each time we were
getting closer so that is the only way forward,on my second last tune i took it to penrith and the report was worse than the previous one at botany so on the next test i took it back to botany not changing the tune at all and it gave a different reading that was better than that at penrith, same fuel nothing changed, penrith's test s are conducted in a shed and botany's are done in a fully closed booth,, but i wish you the best of luck with your test,
Darrell
Old 06-18-2010, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB "Rough as Guts"
Not Ranked     

Interesting
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/no...hiclenoise.htm