Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Bonding Doors (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/107212-bonding-doors.html)

Zedn 10-12-2010 05:59 PM

Bonding Doors

Hi All,

I am up to doing my doors and need to stick the fibreglass skin to the steel frame (galvanised). I was thinking sikaflex would be best, but not sure which one to use. I have rung sika but not yet had a call back.

What have people used and how is it performing.

Was going to bond with sika then glass around the metal afterwards.

Cheers.

sambo 10-12-2010 06:07 PM

Have you spoken to the kit manufacturer? He can probably advise.

OZCOBRA 10-12-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sambo (Post 1083529)
Have you spoken to the kit manufacturer? He can probably advise.

:eek::eek:...!!!!!!

sambo 10-12-2010 06:38 PM

Doesn't Laurie provide after sales support? **)

Zedn, my doors came from Harrison already bonded. Perhaps give one of the big kit manufacturers a call?

Zedn 10-12-2010 06:53 PM

Hi Sambo,

I bought the kit second hand. Never spoken to the manufacturer.

sjelby 10-12-2010 07:14 PM

Hi Liam. ring 0438289427 and say i said to ring.

Stan

Merv and Sharon 10-12-2010 07:19 PM

Warwick uses a form of body filler to do the bonding.

mickmate 10-12-2010 07:53 PM

I would clean the galv with white vinegar then use a two part panel bonding adhesive such as the 3M stuff http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...-Adhesive.html You got the right idea, stick it together.

Zedn 10-12-2010 08:02 PM

Hi Mickmate,

It has been suggested to use just regular body filler (bondo). What are your thoughts on that?

I will see if i can find somewhere local for the 3m product.

cheers

Three Peaks 10-12-2010 08:29 PM

I used 3M HSRF (High Strength Repair Filler) to bond my tube frames to my doors, hood, and trunk lid. Be sure to use an etching agent like vinegar or metal etch as Mickmate suggests and be sure the fiberglass is cleaned really well with acetone just before you bond the two pieces.
You can usually find 3M HSRF at marine stores.

Bob

Zedn 10-12-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon (Post 1083543)
Warwick uses a form of body filler to do the bonding.

Hi Merv,

Saw body filler is used on the hotrod forums too. I wonder about it cracking though cause it isnt flexible.

mickmate 10-12-2010 08:45 PM

I would recommend a panel bonding agent, another one I've used is Fusor and SEM.
The SEM is kinda runny so you'd want to do a few spots to hold it in place then pull the panel and finish with it laid down. Bondo is a filler not a bonding agent.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from..._id=1291875644

OZCOBRA 10-12-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedn (Post 1083556)
Hi Mickmate,

It has been suggested to use just regular body filler (bondo). What are your thoughts on that?

cheers

:eek: %/....Sounds like advice the MANUFACTURER would give!!!!...:LOL::LOL:

Merv and Sharon 10-13-2010 12:25 AM

Over 100 made and no problems

OZCOBRA 10-13-2010 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon (Post 1083578)
Over 100 made and no problems

Ah the defender of all things good..;);)...You say Warrick uses a FORM of Body filler...WHAT????...
As stated BONDO is a FILLER, 1 or 100 made if this is used it does not make it the correct product to use!!!

renovationinnov 10-13-2010 03:58 AM

if you use sika flex use xd001 they use this to hold buses & airplanes together so if must be good for the use you want

Zedn 10-13-2010 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZCOBRA (Post 1083569)
:eek: %/....Sounds like advice the MANUFACTURER would give!!!!...:LOL::LOL:

As i said, i have never spoken to the manufacturer. That came from what i read on a hotrod forum for steeling out a fibreglass body.

renovationinnov,

A friend of mine used to be a panel beater and said they used to use Sikaflex to skin metal doors. But he cant remember which one.

I am going to just get some of the 3m product Mickmate suggested. Sounds like a safe way to go but if i can get that then i will go with Sikaflex.

Strange i thought this would be a simple question for anyone that has built a cobra but i guess most kits come already bonded with doors hung.

Cheers

Merv and Sharon 10-13-2010 04:12 AM

I am sure you are right Oz

boxhead 10-13-2010 04:12 AM

Go and talk to a panel shop, ask what they use on a Commonwhore when replacing firewall.
Or you can probably go to a Holden dealer and ask them to supply it straight off there partfinder software.
They will either stock it, be able to get it, or give you a part number.

stephen low 10-13-2010 04:28 AM

Why not use polyester resin and e glass (white woven cloth - 6oz)?

Fillers are designed for filling and not glueing, though they have inherent strength they aren't normally used for glueing purposes as you are proposing.

At least with cloth and resin you could bond the steel work into one part of the door first, the outside skin I presume, and let it cure and then bond the other door skin to the whole arrangement.

The beauty of this two stage assembly is that it might help with fitment of speakers into the door skin and you don't have to worry whether the steel work will move if you werer doing it all in one go.

And though less important in this application, fillers are heavy compared to resins, even resins thickened by micro-spheres to also be used as fillers.

I have assumed your body is made using polyester resin. If it is made with epoxy resin you'de need to use epoxy glues for the process - most unlikely I suspect.

Good luck