Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-02-2010, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default NSW numberplate legislation

Thought you lads maybe interested in this...(hopefully not a repost)

Got it from another forum

__________________________________________________ _______________
Hey guys,
New legislation was brought into force in New South Wales on the 01/02/2010 in relation to displaying number plates. I will post the legislation below. What it effectively states is that if a vehicle is manufactured in such a way that it is not practicable to display a registration plate then that vehicle is exempt from doing so.

This legislation practically covers cars such as Fezzas and Lambos etc but also after examining the legislation it has also been found to encompass the SS V special edition with the Pontiac front bumper Due to its design being made for North America where the displaying of a front number plate is not required for the majority of states. This legislation would also apply to anyone lucky enough to have 150k to fork out for a new Camaro as well.

What this effectively means is that there are 3 options available to owners of these vehicles

1. Have the number plate bracket available fitted and fit the number plate.

2. Have a Vinyl Sticker replica made of your number plate and fix to front.

3. You are exempt from displaying a plate at the front.

I would opt for option 2 myself as it will stop a lot of hassle from being pulled over and having to explain that you are exempt. This is only new legislation and will take a while for it to be common knowledge.

Hope this assists some of you,

THE LEGISLATION

NUMBER PLATE EXEMPTION
The Roads & Traffic Authority have advised that they have issued an exemption notice in relation to the display of number plates under the provisions of clause 10 of Sch 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007. This exemption took effect on 1 February 2010. The exemption covers clause 61(2)(c)

61 Number-plates
(1) In this clause:

number includes a letter of the alphabet.

vehicle number-plate means a number-plate other than a bicycle-rack number-plate.

(2) The vehicle number-plate issued by the Authority for a vehicle must be permanently affixed to the vehicle so that (assuming the vehicle to be on level ground):
(a) the number-plate is at all times:
(i) in an upright position that is substantially parallel to the vehicle’s axles, and
(ii) not more than 1.3 metres above ground level, and
(b) the number-plate is not obscured, defaced or otherwise not legible, and
(c) the numbers on the number-plate are clearly visible from a distance of 20 metres at any point within an arc of 45 degrees from the surface of the number-plate above or to either side of the vehicle, as shown in figures 1 and 2 of diagram 1 (in relation to heavy vehicles) and figures 1 and 2 of diagram 2 (in relation to light vehicles), and
(d) any cover on the number-plate:
(i) is clear, clean, untinted and flat over its entire surface, and
(ii) has no reflective or other characteristics that would prevent the successful operation of a device approved for use under a law relating to the detection of traffic offences, and
(e) in the case of a motor vehicle other than a motor bike—one number-plate is affixed to the front of the vehicle and another to its rear, and
(f) in the case of a motor bike or trailer—at least one number-plate is affixed to its rear, and
(g) in the case of a motor vehicle for which number-plates of different sizes are issued—the larger of the number-plates is affixed to the rear of the vehicle.

The exemption has the following effect.

Clause 61 (2)(c) regarding the display of number plates on a registerable vehicle does NOT apply if:
a) due to the original construction of the vehicle it is not practicable to comply with that subclause; or
b) the number-plate is affixed in a manner that complies so far as practicable with the subclause.

Note that this exemption applies only to the original construction of the vehicle, therefore does not cover vehicles that have been modified irrespective of the modification being approved by an engineering signatory
Old 11-03-2010, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Note that this exemption applies only to the original construction of the vehicle, therefore does not cover vehicles that have been modified irrespective of the modification being approved by an engineering signatory......arr there's the rub !
Interpretation is in the eye of the Police officer and Mr RTA. The ICV label might allow this on first rego approval but for all us approved ICVs there may be some point of conjecture ?
Old 11-03-2010, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

I read it two ways Rob.
The better way would be, 'the original shape and construction has not changed in regards to where the front plate will/ may be fitted. Even though the ICV may now be approved by a engineer in a seperate state and is now on 2nd or 3rd owner, the car was never constructed with a practicable spot to mount the plate. If you have added a front air dam or bullbar etc to your cobra and that affects the placement of your number plate then thats your problem.'

Like everything, open to individual interpretation.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interesting I was pulled over on the weekend for having a sticker number plate on the front of my car.

The male police officer was going to issue a fine for not displaying a front number plate. The nice lady police officer who was running my licensee through the computer stuck her head out the window and told him that it was "exempt". I presumed she meant is was exempt for the side pipes and harnesses I have fitted and didn't think much more of it

He let me go with no fine but I was told that if I did not put the issued plate back on the front he would red sticker me next time he saw me.

Interesting.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Doh....I was just about to get a vinyl sticker for my front plate on my GT40. Guess I'll just mount the standard plate.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: