Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-23-2001, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile Chasis Chasis and Chasis

I am one of the unfortunate bunnies out here trying to find a good kit in Australia. I have narrowed them down to probably 3 Robnell, excellent but bloody expensive and G-Force with their new space frame back bone chasis and Classic revival. All 3 have different concepts on how to put a chasis together. Can anyone who owns a classic revival car or g-force space frame shed some light on this issue out there. Aussie Mike I would be keen to hear from you given you seem to be so pro Classic revival. Looking for a good torsionally strong chasis? help help help......
Old 09-24-2001, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Adam,

Sorry about the lenght of this post

I know how you feel. Once I decided I was going to do a Cobra I looked around, talking to people and researched for about 8 months before putting down a deposit. Robnel is a great car but the price is just way out of my league. I can't comment on G-Force as all I've seen of them is the web site. I don't believe in spending that kind of money on anything sight unseen and I want to meet the people who make my kit. You're probably in a better position to see a G-Force car in Adelaide than I am in Melbourne as they're only about 2500Km away from you.

Cobra kit manufacturers must get sick of people like me. Iwas in at the Python shop about 6 times looking at their cars and nearly put down a deposit on one. I was on a business trip to Sydney and decided to have a look at Classic Revival before I handed over any cash. I'm glad I did because the quality and attention to detail I saw was very impressive. Ians Cobra body is the best I've seen and should make preping it for paint very easy.

Not sure on how different the space frame and the ladder frame chassis compare in performance. Ians Lader fram is impressive in the flesh and the pics in the web site don't do it justice. The main rails are huge (100mmx100mm) and there is a equally huge cross brace between them. The finished car isn't that heavy at around 1100Kg (depending on motor and trans) and with the lader frame the chassis weight is all as low down as possible and may have a lower center of gravity. Ian's body is incredibly rigid, far more than any Cobra body I've seen so doesn't need as much structural support as other bodies. The other thing I like about the lader frame over the space frame is that with out all the extra bar work they look cleaner/neater under the hood and inside the car

The engineers report on Ians chassis is interesting. The standard required for tortional load testing (twisting) is 6000 Newtons/degree I believe in laymans terms this means the chassis with a 6000N tortional load on it must have less than 1 degree of twist. Ians Chassis romped this in and to acieve a 1 degree twist would require 14658 Newtons, almost 2 1/2 times the requirement. All this suggests to me is that the Classic revival chassis is plenty stiff enough.

Any way yes I am pro Classic Revival. It's the kit I've spent my cash on so of course I'm going to be a bit biased. I can see things about it that some people won't like, for example the rear end is wider than many of the other cars so you can't use a very deep dish wheel. This wasn't an issue for me because of the style of car I plan to build.

Talk to other people and get their opinions as well as every one will have a different experience with their kit. You have a good Cobra club following over there so try to get along to one of their meetings. One thing I've found is that Cobre people are always friendly and keen to talk about their ride. Talk to the manufacturers too as I think you need to like the people you are buying from since you are in for a long relationship.

Happy hunting and welcome to the forum.

Old 09-24-2001, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Chasis and Chasis

Yeh Ian explained the torsional testing results to me on the phone and they sounded impressive which i think may suit me because I want to do some track work as well. the bodies look exceptional as well on the net anway which can be a bit deceptive but I saw the tiger gold photos from cobra.au and the finish looks absolutely superb a real credit to the owner. If these are any indicators of the likely results that can be achieved I think Im headed in the right direction. Did you get the new body with the pendat style pedals I believe it has changed from the floor mount style which is good cos i actually prefer the pendant style hanging down?
Old 09-25-2001, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes I'm going for the pendant style pedals. Even though they aren't the same as the original they are a bit more practical. For one the master cylinders are in an easy to get at place and you don't have to use remote reserviors. The pedals are out of the way of your feet when you're cruizin' along as well. I'm about 6'1" so the extra legroom that represents is a bonus.

Pitty you couldn't see Craigs car in the flesh as it is seriously nice. The LS1 fits like a glove, I should have taken more pics of the engine bay.

Cheers

Old 10-03-2001, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The Motor Choice

Mike, Ta for the picks of the rear end have you finalised the choice of engine yet are you definately going to put the LS1 in and what gearbox have you settled on running behind it. I like the sound of the LS1 great engineering and very good bang for your bucks with Chev products I priced a 4.6L Cobra Mustang motor and was told I was looking about $13,000 which is pushing the old budget a little. P.S. I've more or less settled on the fact that i will either be purchasing a Robnell or Classic Revival just weighing up the old dollar factor at the moment.

Adam

Adelaide
Old 10-03-2001, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Adam,

I'm definitely going with the LS1. Ian is building the chassis for it as we speak. Gear box choice can wait a while yet since I'll have to make the gear box X member for whichever box I chose. The engine decision however needed to be settled befor Ian started on the chassis.

$13K for the 4.6 Mustang... OUCH!! $13K will pay for my motor, box and ECU with some change. If I was to use a Ford I'd probably look at the SVO crate 351 or 396 or even a Big Block before spending that kind of cash.

Cheers

Old 10-04-2001, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wat about the ECU

Mike speaking of the ECU have you decided on which one you will look at I like the Motec systems but once again they are bloody expensive Haltech and Autronic seem to be very good value for money as well. I would love to put Motec in my car but i just dont know wether or not i will use all the extra features that there system has that being an M48. I have some brochures for the robnell Im looking at and they sell the M48 for their 429 crate motor for about 8K. This is pretty expensive but looking on the Motec website they have just released the new M800 which i see Robnell is using on their 4.6L Mustang motor this is a bit more affordable at 5K but still not exactly what you would call cheap.

Cheers

Adam

Adelaide
Old 10-04-2001, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Adam,

I was thinking the Motec M48. Don't know where Robnel get $8K from? Perhaps that cost includes the injecton manifold, throttle bodies and ignition? The basic ECU is around $2,800 from memory and it should hook up to the existing sensors, injectors and coils on the LS1. I'm a tech by trade and I'll be wiring it up myself so I figure around $3500 should see me completely set up.

One of the reasons I've been looking closely at the Motec is that they are EPA approved.

How's your decision making going? I'm going to be in Sydney on Monday so I'll pop in to CR and see how my kit is progressing. I'll take the digital camera again and see if I can snap a few more interesting pics.

Cheers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: