Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Pusher fans

Looking at mounting my pusher style fans pretty soon.
Does anyone have measurements, or clear front on (level) pics of pusher fans in the nose of genuine cars?

I can then "guesstimate" how far above centre line of openning the fans need to be.

Cheers.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Hi Boxhead, I put my fans about 1" from the radiator. They really push some air through and look great as they slowly start to spin as you take off from a standstill!

Regards.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

This one is genuine Dave but not quite level.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Cheers Mando, do you also run a fan inside? or just work from pusher fans.

Merv, that is a helpful pic, shows they are up almost as far as the body will allow.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmm, actually Merv, that pic raises another question, I always thought the fans where fitted with teh motor section out front (so fan blades are as close as possable to radiator, but that pic shows blades are out, with motors behind.

Is there a "right and wrong" way?

I realise these are all replica's but I thought they mounted this way around?

Cruising in 5th

Last edited by boxhead; 08-23-2011 at 11:53 PM..
Old 08-24-2011, 12:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Your right Boxhead, that's the first time I've ever seen the motors against the radiator. I run the commodore shroud and fan on the other side of the radiator.

Regards.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Original-type setup...motors out.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Yep!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
Yep!

Ive always loved this pic - and always though it was a photo with some "effects" - looking at it though I think it's an illustration. Look at the angle of the winscreen posts - appears a lot narrower across the top then a standard screen, cobra badge on the front looks huge. etc

Maybe Im the only one thats just realised that
Old 08-24-2011, 02:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes Andrew, it is certainly more iconic than real. And I agree many of us have liked it. I have no idea of the history of this image, but maybe someone from the US can let us know?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

The fans in front of the radiator are very inefficient....apart from looking the part they blow very little air through the radiator... to start with the centre of the fan blows no air you only finish up with a ring of air blowing into the radiator...cooling a very small area of the total area of the radiator .....the only way to get air pulling evenly through the whole radiator is to have the fan on the back and a shroud must be used to pull air through the entire area of the radiator...... not just in front of the fan...
Old 08-24-2011, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys

For the fans to work efficiently and move maximum air through the radiator the fan blades need to be as close to the radiator as possible.

Dimi
Old 08-24-2011, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

The blades can be a foot away from the radiator...providing you use a shroud the air will still be drawn through the radiator....evenly
Old 08-24-2011, 04:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cheers guys, the pushers are purely for "the look" as I will keep the commodore fan on that I have used for the past 11000kls.

So the pushers dont need to actually do any cooling.

Cruising in 5th

Old 08-24-2011, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Cheers guys, the pushers are purely for "the look" as I will keep the commodore fan on that I have used for the past 11000kls.

So the pushers dont need to actually do any cooling.
so just mount them whichever way looks cooler

seriously though, unless the motors are reverisble, the motor in or out decision has already been made for you, as they will spin in a certain direction and if mounted "backwards" they will actually push air AWAY from the radiator!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had the original twin pushers for 17 years. I also installed a Spal puller fan about 12 years ago. The puller is switched by a sending unit mounted in the intake, and I can operate it manually. The pushers were operated manually.

The puller does the job. After I installed it I rarely used the pushers.

One month ago I removed the bracket and pushers because they actually deflect a lot of air unless they are on. Since removing them I've seen a little quicker cool down while driving at low speeds of 30-45 mph.

I do like the look of the pushers, but I probably won't put them back on.

David
Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
so just mount them whichever way looks cooler

seriously though, unless the motors are reverisble, the motor in or out decision has already been made for you, as they will spin in a certain direction and if mounted "backwards" they will actually push air AWAY from the radiator!
The fans do unbolt and the motors I am pretty sure will alos run in reverse polarity.

And even though they wont be doing any work, I do want them to look right, otherwise why fit them?

Cruising in 5th

Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

The radiator frame is a 16" high inside opening at the ends. The fan cross bar is 8" high at the top of the tube. The brackets are on top of the bar for the fans which puts them a smidgeon higher than halfway up the opening. The blue one is 3015 (the twin blower Supersnake) and it's the only surviving one of two so it's kind of a custom on the originals. Old Falcons probably have the same blower fan motors as the Mustangs over there in Oz?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

They are, in the final analysis, a zero net proposition. They replace the airflow that they block. They don't hurt a damn thing...nor do they help.

They do a great job of cutting up birds and bugs that venture near them.

I'm sure my gas mileage suffers a bit...that has kept me awake nights...but somehow I have survived.

I like 'em as much as I do the quick lifts, turkey pan, firewall puke tank, the little panel cutout behind the seats for the FIA suitcase, the backwards running speedometer.........

Boxhead...you've got the right frame of mind for them.

Last edited by Jamo; 08-25-2011 at 01:16 AM..
Old 08-27-2011, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cheers Jamo, great minds think alike.

Well I made a start on fitting the fans today, but first I had to finish fitting some new AVO's I bought from another Forum member recently.
I had to get some spacers machined up as my old Spax shocks had rubber bushes and new shocks had spherical joints.
Rear in place.

Front in place,

I also fitted some front slotted rotors from the LAB. And will need to readjust ride heights back to previous settings.

Moved onto the fans next, and after thinking about it for the past few days I decided I did not want to mount them using the 2 steel bars supplied, but instead wanted the single bar up high.

So after working out in my head how I would mount the fan bar to the chassis, I started making some brackets to mount the fan motors to, that I could then weld these to the single bar.
I will use the triangle shapped flat pad as my mount for fan bracket bar.

And here are the mounts I made for fan motors.

The one on the right shows how they mount.

Next I made the bar assy and fitted fan assys.

After a trial fit, all was well so I made some more measurements and welded some uprights on for mounting to the chassis, stripped it all apart and painted before closing up the shed.

Cruising in 5th