Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rog246
  • 1 Post By Merv and Sharon

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 12:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     
Default Flat tyre ?

I haven't had a flat tyre for years and now I have some low profile tyres what is the best method to repair one? The tyre is a Bridgestone Potenza RE-050A 275 x 35 R19 ....what do you all recommend ?
Rob.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Rob the only acceptable repair IF its in the tread area is a Combi plug, sometimes called a Donkey Dick. Its the only method that tyre manufactures recommend and they're safe!
Some dealers will put a patch on the inside and then put a tube in the carcass and tell you its fine-' we do it all the time' what they won't say is that it reduces the tyre life and allows water to get into the carcass and it will then rust the steel in the tread belts-and they get to sell you a tube which in 99% of the time you don't need.
If its in the sidewall they are not legally repairable and any reputable tyre dealer should tell you that. Mind you some will take your money and not say a word.
Hope it helps
Rog
OZCOBRA likes this.

Harrison #100
Old 07-05-2012, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

The voice of experience there. When is the planned end date for Harrison 100? That needs some kind of celebration. Warwick can pay!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
The voice of experience there. When is the planned end date for Harrison 100? That needs some kind of celebration. Warwick can pay!
Merv have had a few set backs in the last year or two and have been trying to get back on our feet - but its slowly coming together-I've been meaning to put some pics together and post them-better get off my butt and do it
Rog

Harrison #100
Old 07-05-2012, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog246 View Post
Merv have had a few set backs in the last year or two and have been trying to get back on our feet - but its slowly coming together-I've been meaning to put some pics together and post them-better get off my butt and do it
Rog

I hope the luck runs with you there Rog. The car will happen when it is the right time.
OZCOBRA likes this.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

One good repair is a combination of both. It's a patch with the donkey dick attached to the centre. You drill out the hole to widen it. You rough up the inside of the tyre, apply glue. And pull the donkey dick through the hole. Have done many like that with no problem. But you can't repair the side wall. And rog246 is right, don't ever fit a tube.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Merv I'm sure it will, if nothing else I can be very stubborn and determined & I know what I want and what to do so we'll get there in the end.

Harrison #100
Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

If it is in the tread area a rope plug works great but the side wall is different. You need to take the tire off the rim and put in a "Blow out patch" and yes never let them pu in a tube.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
If it is in the tread area a rope plug works great but the side wall is different. You need to take the tire off the rim and put in a "Blow out patch" and yes never let them pu in a tube.
Hey Thor, that might work in the US but both of those repairs have been illegal in Oz for about 20 odd years. Our road conditions are some of the toughest in the world AND we have a higher avg. Hwy speed than most other countries too!

Harrison #100
Old 07-06-2012, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info guys....Rog you answered all my questions. I thought the sticky rope stuff was banned but wasn't sure because it can still be bought in most auto shops. The tek screw was in the centre of a tread groove. The local JAX mob did the proper job...they showed me what they used. A mushroom shaped plug.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Oh yeah I forgot it's Mad Max , a lot of heat and higher road speeds. So what is a "donkey Dick" and can you repair a sidewall or is it just time for a new tire?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

A Donkey dick is actually a 'combi plug' (trade name). Its called a donkey dick because it looks a bit like a donkey's dick .
Used for tread repairs only and fills the void left by the nail or whatever in the tread - it has rubber cement/solution applied to all surfaces in contact with the tyre carcass, then pulled through the hole and finished off on the inside using a roller to smooth the mushroom shaped head against the inside of the tyre.
Hope that explains it for you Thor

Harrison #100
Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How many guys use a spare. Would a spacesaver wheel be worthwhile?
JD
Old 07-08-2012, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are some that can fit, to a degree, but then there is the problem of what to do with the wheel that has been removed.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     

As an offroad bike rider, I've completed heaps of roadside puncture repairs to my GSs' tyres. On one occasion three in about 100kmThere's no luxury of runflats or spares when on 2 wheels!

I carry a repair kit with half a dozen "sticky worms" and insertion tool plus a small 12v pump about the size if a couple of cigarette packets. The other option for inflation is small gas bottles made for the job (the same looking thing that you see on whipped cream bottles) Prob wouldn't work with a car though, too much volume to fill, you'd need too many.
A mate and I can execute a repair and be back on the track in about 15 minutes

So...I keep exactly the same kit in my Cobra
Old 07-09-2012, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

My wife's MX5 has an Instant Mobility System (IMS) Emergency Flat Tyre Repair Kit.
Bottle of goo and a compressor, enough to get you home and then repair/replace the tyre. Hope I never have to use it!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I carry a repair kit with half a dozen "sticky worms" and insertion tool plus a small 12v pump about the size if a couple of cigarette packet
That's a good idea. Pumping goo into the tyre is very messy.
JD