Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Which kit would you recommend? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/119085-kit-would-you-recommend.html)

Turnips 02-09-2013 10:48 PM

Which kit would you recommend?

Firstly, apologies on the long post. I've been trying to dig through here the last few days and found a few interesting things, but still haven't quite come to a conclusion. Briefly, I want to build a car, so turnkey/used/currently built are out. If funds don't permit then I'm hoping to do a restore job as a backup, but I like the idea of building something from nothing better.

My car requirements are as follows (I'll go into a bit more detail later):
- daily driver
- (relatively) comfortable
- roof
- a/c
- abs/traction control (preferable but not req)
- windows that work (if fitted)
- boot space enough for weekend trips
- not an old man's car/penis extension/overtly showy (like say the corvette stingray is)
- decent resale (not that I plan on selling it but circumstances change and it's always best to have something that sells for more if you have to)
- Cheap (obviously :P)
- easy to build

So basically I want a car that I'll use, not one that will just sit in the shed gathering dust.

A roof (or the ability to have) would be great so I can drive it to work in the rain, or drive it home from work after it's rained without getting wet. Now I know there are options for hard/soft tops for cobras but I've no idea who makes them for what car, in my readings here each manufacturer is completely different so that's a big concern. If I go cobra route I'd want a lemans style hardtop, otherwise there's always the daytona or dare I mention it on a cobra forum, something else?

Comfort is fairly easy as suspension settings and seats can be easily adjusted and most kits come with options for a/c, also fitting stereos etc shouldn't be too difficult.

abs traction control I know DRB have the ability to do this but I'm not sure if any other manufacturers do.

Windows, yes I know cobra's dont have windows, however if I'm driving it with a lemans top, or driving a daytona then i want windows that can work, not just merely there to allow you to open the damn door. I want a (semi) practical car so ideally it'll be good enough to go through a drive through. Speaking to Warwick of Harrison his daytona has tiny sliding windows and he reckons I could easily spend 5k to develop winding windows, or i could spend the extra 40k over his kit and get a superformance, that i don't get to build myself, which is kind of the point of the entire exercise.

boot space, well both cobra and daytona have enough to go on a weekend away so that shouldn't be an issue.

now here's probably the biggest issue, the old mans penis extension part. Now it could be argued quite convincingly that the cobra isn't really an extension type car, but they do have the 'old man' stereotype where the driver is grey with his driving cap on. I must admit partly the reason why I'm slightly more inclined to go the daytona route, at least here in Aus it seems a car that a younger driver could get away with driving more, however I'm still unconvinced that it isn't just a little "showy". Cobra, especially without side pipes looks much more "normal" (if much more dated). Although I suppose regardless of what kit i end up buying, they'll all to a certain extent be like that just because they aren't just another commodore or falcon.

Resale, obviously in aus a blue cobra with white stripes is the way to go. Will outsell any other colour and any other cobra is much more likely to sell than a daytona. Other types/styles of kit like the 540 or any non replica are going to be harder to sell and their value is likely to reflect this.

Price, well this is always a concern however I (to a certain) extent understand the costs. Everyone seems to say you can get a decent street kit for 50-60k up, so my aim is to get one for 60 (which means it'll probably end up costing 80. Also other hidden ongoing costs like insurance should be considered, although I've no idea how much (if at all) it varies for different types of kits. Now cost is directly related to the final concern which is...

easiness to build. An easier to build kit will take less time, require less custom components etc. Now less time is only a concern in the sense that a faster build means more money now (rather than be able to "save" as I go), but a longer build has concerns like its a big daunting job that'll never get finished and life circumstances are more likely to change in the middle of the build. I do like (to a certain extent) the idea of a complete kit, so much less thinking to do and everything is right there, however again to a certain extent, this is less building MY car and more assembling someone else's. yes I can always buy another set of gauges or carpet etc but then you've got two sets and didn't really get the choice about anything you actually care about.

Last year I went up to qld and visited a couple of manufacturers, Harrison and DRB I remember and was most impressed by Warwick and if I were to go a daytona i'm quite likely to buy through him, however reading this forum someone bought a factory 5 daytona and I believe did the right hand drive conversion etc themselves. I've forgotten who he was and if anyone could point me in the right direction I've got numerous questions regarding that process as it may open the doors to other types/styles of kits. Now Peter from DRB mentioned that his cobras can be basically assembled from parts harvested from a single wreck, this is why he was able to produce the cobra with ABS etc. I'm wondering if similar is possible with other kits as this is likely to help keep costs down as well as wondering how much additional time, knowledge and skill is required for the build. Currently I have no tools (obviously needs to change) and have next to no mechanical experience, let alone any fabrication experience so any kits that require lots of drilling etc not so good for me (rumor has it that classic revival cars require a lot of work like this).

So in summary, I want to build a (relatively) cheap car that's usable just like every other car only this one gives me the satisfaction of "i built this". Oh and before anyone suggests some of the body kit conversions (eg classic revival datsun to ferrari, or the MR2 to ferrari), firstly the 240z is quite the looker as she is, secondly if she looks like a ferrari or lambo she better go like one!

(wow just hit preview, this is really quite long isn't it, so umm thanks for reading it and double thanks for any comments/advice)

Zedn 02-09-2013 11:17 PM

Wow, quite a post. So you want a kit that's not a kit but is easy to build without fabrication and no tools? You want a car that is not showy but you want a cobra?

lvhdude 02-10-2013 12:23 AM

Maybe a nice 34 ford high boy.........Roof, windows that work, not so flashy, affordable kits, Drop in a nice 460 stroker motor with an automatic and vintage air for the fun/comfortable to drive combo and you're in like Flynn! Why mess with those drafty, no air/heat, absent or soft tops and goofy looking out of place windows that are cobbled on as an afterthought on an overpowered, undersized, noisy, hot, rough riding cobra? And gentle soothing tunes? Fahgeddabout it. Good luck!

BJ's Snake 02-10-2013 12:27 AM

Is it full moon tonight or something!!!!

Turnips 02-10-2013 12:30 AM

lol, no i want a kit as I want to build it myself, but it's nice to have some choices about some aspects of the build, obviously too many choices becomes daunting and you're left wondering what's "best" but simple aesthetic things like gauges, interior colour etc aren't too daunting. Yes i want easy to build without too many tools (spanners etc = good, welding, bending etc = bad). As for wanting a car that's not showy but a cobra I'm not one who's had their heart set on a cobra. Some cobras can be extremely showy and other's aren't, also not overly fussed if it isn't a cobra, just as long as it's not a lotus 7. Obviously i want a certain amount of show just not something huge and overt that screams "look at me i want attention", just something that looks like a nice car, eg first gen mustangs.

Am I making any sense at all cause from your reply it seems I'm not?

750hp 02-10-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnips (Post 1230569)
now here's probably the biggest issue, the old mans penis extension part. Now it could be argued quite convincingly that the cobra isn't really an extension type car, but they do have the 'old man' stereotype where the driver is grey with his driving cap on. I must admit partly the reason why I'm slightly more inclined to go the daytona route, at least here in Aus it seems a car that a younger driver could get away with driving more, however I'm still unconvinced that it isn't just a little "showy".

Jeez dude, interesting way to introduce yourself... Most of the older Cobra owners that I know are deadset champions and some of the nicest guys you could hope to meet. There are just as many younger owners, none of whom have given a second thought to your perceived stereotype and who have built some incredibly fast road/race cars. Others just love the shape and some want to create a tribute to one of the most iconic cars of all time.
Just quietly, people from each of those groups could be forgiven for thinking that you're a goose who should go and buy something that you don't need to justify to yourself so strongly...

Oh yeah, welcome to ClubCobra.

Legless 02-10-2013 12:42 AM

If you want a cobra you'll probably have to compromise and dont give a stuff about how long people think your d*ck is, just don't get a red one.:LOL:

By the way they are cheap to insure compared to 'regular' cars as long as you don't do too many k's.

Jaydee 02-10-2013 01:11 AM

mmm extension. My Cobra is 13 foot long so my dick must now be, 14 foot:D
JD

PeterAllen 02-10-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

... I want to build a car...
... I have no tools (obviously needs to change) and have next to no mechanical experience, let alone any fabrication experience...

The two statements are incompatible.

Do yourself a favour and just buy a car then modify it to your liking, there is enough work in that to keep you busy. Also, there are quite a few Datsun/Ferrari GTOs with V8s.

Aussie Mike 02-10-2013 01:31 AM

Just buy a completed car and then tweek it to your liking. If you have no tools or mechanical ecpeirience you will probably never complete the car. I reckon there are plenty of people that have bought kits thinking that they just bolt together with your 1/2" drive socket set and away you go. These cars usually never get finished and get sold off as an incomplete project.

Aussie Mike 02-10-2013 01:40 AM

Better still, buy a 350Z. It's got windows and aircon and can be daily driven and stuff and people won't ask about your penis.

It sounds like you don't really know what a Cobra is. It's a 1960's race car with lights. It's got 1960's creature comforts like seats, a steering, wheel, windscreen and a heater if you are lucky. They never had side windows and the soft top roof was basic kit in a bag that lived in the boot.

They are meant to be rough and raw with brutal power in a short wheelbase. A car that is constantly trying to kill you if you don't respect it

Modena 02-10-2013 01:47 AM

If you think you're going to get all that for $60K, including paint I assume, when you can't do things like trim and paint yourself, then you're dreaming if you think it might be a good Cobra.

based on your criteria I'd be buying a classic car and modifying it. Mustang, US muscle car etc. You can get some very very nice muscle from the US for undr 30K, 3K shipping and 25K for mods and paint, would be awesome if well chosen.

If you must build something from scratch then consider this:
  • super 7's are the easiest (I think) and perhaps also the most affordable
  • Classic Revivals do not need any more fabrication than other local kits, and in fact they need a good deal less than some
  • GT40's are coolest (also most $ and not so practical?)
  • if you want a roof (not a soft top) then its either customising a LeMans top ot suit your chosen kit's body, or a Daytona (or something else non-Shelby)

I find your criteria most interesting, as it represents a desire to construct something, and you think that something could be a Cobra. Most people know they want a Cobra, and then the build for some is a bonus, and for others a means to an end.

Choose the car you want, then worry about whether its build, buy, or modify.

If you just need to satisy a desire to construct, then go build something other than a car and save the rest of the money.

PeterAllen 02-10-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Mike (Post 1230586)
... there are plenty of people that have bought kits thinking that they just bolt together and away you go. These cars usually never get finished and get sold off as an incomplete project.

You're wrong there Mike.

... there are plenty of people that have bought kits thinking that they just bolt together and away you go. These cars ALWAYS never get finished and get sold off as an incomplete project... usually with sufficient damage having been done to seriously devalue the car/kit.

OZCOBRA 02-10-2013 02:04 AM

Quote:

.....now here's probably the biggest issue, the old mans penis extension part. Now it could be argued quite convincingly that the cobra isn't really an extension type car, but they do have the 'old man' stereotype where the driver is grey with his driving cap on.

Penis length won't be of concern to the FLUFF wanting to get in or on!!!:D .... don't wear a hat and a set of clippers will fix the grey problem!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee (Post 1230581)
mmm extension. My Cobra is 13 foot long so my dick must now be, 14 foot:D
JD

Leg room will be a problem with balls that big!!!:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Mike (Post 1230587)

It sounds like you don't really know what a Cobra is. It's a 1960's race car with lights. It's got 1960's creature comforts like seats, a steering, wheel, windscreen and a heater if you are lucky. They never had side windows and the soft top roof was basic kit in a bag that lived in the boot.

So that rules out DRB..:p

Turnips 02-10-2013 02:19 AM

some useful info there. Yes I realise that there will need to be compromises and i'm not likely to get that list for that kind of money, but for some I can deal with it after the car is built in a couple of years down the track when the money comes. Also a lot of that list can be got on a cobra for that money. Peter (DRB) said his citric acid cobra with abs, aircon etc (all sourced from a wreck) ended up costing like 50-55k (if i recall correctly).

As for the comments of it wont ever get built, why not? Obviously i've never built a car and so don't know what i'm in for, but numerous manufacturers say their kits are designed for people just like me with next to no experience. Plus that was part of the point, to learn about this stuff as I build it. I may not currently have experience with this particular stuff, but I am quite capable of learning. What's worse having a go and failing or never trying? I've currently enrolled in a couple of car restoration courses and although most of it isn't likely to be directly useful, some might and hopefully it'll give me a better idea where I want to go.

Rob. Smith 02-10-2013 02:20 AM

Hmmm Factory five is to blame for this misunderstanding. It's the only Cobra Kit that comes in a box like a model car....all the bits and a no-brainer to assemble (not build) Any way don't be discouraged though...have a go. By the way there's a mob in Taree NSW that makes pretty cool 32 ford bodies and Chassis.

Rog246 02-10-2013 02:21 AM

[quote=Legless;1230580]If you want a cobra you'll probably have to compromise and dont give a stuff about how long people think your d*ck is, just don't get a red one.:LOL:

I'm a bit confused !?!
Are we talking about cars being RED or...........maybe Dick's being RED :confused: :p :LOL:

Rob. Smith 02-10-2013 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnips (Post 1230597)
some useful info there. Yes I realise that there will need to be compromises and i'm not likely to get that list for that kind of money, but for some I can deal with it after the car is built in a couple of years down the track when the money comes. Also a lot of that list can be got on a cobra for that money. Peter (DRB) said his citric acid cobra with abs, aircon etc (all sourced from a wreck) ended up costing like 50-55k (if i recall correctly).

As for the comments of it wont ever get built, why not? Obviously i've never built a car and so don't know what i'm in for, but numerous manufacturers say their kits are designed for people just like me with next to no experience. Plus that was part of the point, to learn about this stuff as I build it. I may not currently have experience with this particular stuff, but I am quite capable of learning. What's worse having a go and failing or never trying? I've currently enrolled in a couple of car restoration courses and although most of it isn't likely to be directly useful, some might and hopefully it'll give me a better idea where I want to go.

I think that all of the restoration course will be invaluable...take lots of notes. Also even before you purchase anything, talk to a signatory engineer and discuss legalities and roadworthiness issues. It is good planning to be forewarned. There are many difficulties in the legal side.

OZCOBRA 02-10-2013 02:38 AM

Mrs flatchat 02-10-2013 03:55 AM

Maybe this '48 coupe might be the go --(hot rod rego) --- Jag front end, LS1 ,tremec, 9" live rear, 2 door, seats 5 , big boot da da daa

48 coupe