Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Prof
  • 1 Post By Baz
  • 1 Post By boilerrat

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default V8 Supercars in Texas.Aussies know racing!

I want to thank the fine Australians that have made V8 Supercars a possibility and such a success. I was able to work up close and rather personal with several teams during the Austin, Texas event.

I have watched racing since I was a child, but nothing compared to the thrill of working with these teams. While the drivers are (what we say here in the States) "showhorses", the real workhorse is the team of passionate professionals who prep, clean, verify, download, bust tail, and communicate with each other to get the car ready to race. While fans stood in long lines to get driver's autographs, I collected a few autographs from the crew members. I even found myself moved by the beautiful Australian national anthem and I chanted along with the crowd Aussies! Aussies! Aussies! at the song's end. As a result, I have adopted the phrase "No worries".

What an honor to work an outstanding event put on by V8 Supercars! I hope to meet again more of the fantastic people that are so passionate about their Ford or Holden teams. Mercedes too--a wee bit.

Regards and warm wishes,
Paul
Dallas, Texas
LoBelly and Rog246 like this.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Right back at you Paul. We think the same of you guys. Our prayers and thoughts are with you all at this time regarding the horrific events occurring in and around Oklahoma, Iowa and Nebraska.

You take care now.

Baz
Rog246 likes this.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

No worries.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Aussies do love racing, too bad you have to deal with such huge restrictions on your street cars being modified...

Last edited by fordracing65; 05-22-2013 at 01:44 AM..
Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

Thank you for your kind words and support of the sport. As a nation of some 23 million people we love to see nearly 10% of the population turn up for a weekend of racing on a street circuit in Adelaide South Aust. and then onto other states as well as our cousins in New Zealand.
The sport embraces the v8 motor car as a symbol of fun and excitement. If the US of A embraces the series and makes it viable we will continue to enjoy this type of car on our roads and in our dreams.
Really sad about Oklahoma and the people there.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

I, too, watched the V 8 supercars in TX. Just a question about these machines and drivers. On the same road course like Watkins Glen. , would an American NASCAR have any advantage or disadvantage?

I know it is apples and oranges, but I am just curious

No worries,

Russell
Old 05-22-2013, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

The V8s would eat them up. NASCAR would be too heavy and too long a wheelbase to compete with them.

I also had a great time watching them race. I can't wait to see them hit turn 12 running the full track next year. That will be something to watch. I had all the races on the DVR so I could see and hear all that went on. You miss a bunch without the announcers and what they fill in about activity all around the track.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Last edited by Seagull81; 05-22-2013 at 03:38 PM..
Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     
Talking

You all probably know that Marcus Ambrose came for our V8 series.
Now the question about Watkins Glen would get interesting-correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the NASCAR's would have a pretty reasonable HP advantage, which would help offset the weight disadvantage.......to a point.
You still have to slow them suckers down for corners and then accelerate up to speed, so the HP advantage swings back.
Either way I would like to see it, with Ambrose trying out both cars.
As a side note, it would be really interesting to bring them good Ol'Boys out here and run ém around say.......the Mountain (Bathurst) ! I reckon they would Sh#t themselves especially going over Skyline...........where the road drops away from you and you can't see where it goes.
TV just does NOT do justice to the place at all!
Rog

Harrison #100
Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Steve, Yes, the long course will be great.

I learned through a race steward that V8 Supercars inked a deal for FOUR more years at Circuit of the Americas. This is great news.

Since I worked the event, I was stationed in front of a massive big screen. Still, I will buy the DVD set of videos when they become available.

No worries at all,
Paul
Dallas Texas

Last edited by Prof; 05-23-2013 at 12:28 PM..
Old 05-23-2013, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll second that Paul! Well said. I had so much fun and learned quite a bit watching the crews. First race first lap one of my Fujitsu cars crashed and was brought to the garage. You should have seen them "go to work" on that thing. It was like a choreagraphed dance the way they changed the control arm so fast and only lost maybe 2 or 3 laps. Unbelievably fast pit stops as well - 3.5 seconds for 4 tires. Was talking to Betty Klemenko on grid before the 4th race, little did I know she was one of the richest women in the country who brought the Mercedes to V8 Supercars. Can't wait till next year. Watching it tonight on SPEED Channel 7:30pm.
OZCOBRA likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: