Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default 1981 Arntz Cobra for sale

After considerable thought, I have decided to advertise my 1981 Arntz Cobra for sale. This was an especially tough decision after taking it for such a great drive through the mountains to the Qld Cobra Club's AGM yesterday.

After owning an RMC then having OZVENOM build me a more radical custom Cobra, I had searched around for an eternity to find something different from what I'd previously owned or seen. The Arntz was that car.

As a 1981 model and because it is more than 30 years old, it overcomes many of the challenges that force us to compromise when designing and completing new builds.

This car can legally hold full registration as a left hand drive car with a carburetted big block and side pipes if you choose to go down that path. I'm only aware of a very small number of LHD Cobra replicas in Australia that allow you the choice of holding full registration or historic/club registration. This is currently registered in Queensland on historic registration, which costs $180 per year compared to $1080 for full registration. Not only is this a unique car, but it can save you $900 per year as well!!!

I've never been one to try to trick people into thinking a replica is anything other than a cool car that happens to look like the original cars from the 60's. It's amazing how many people see a LHD Cobra in Australia and instantly assume that it's a "real" Cobra. Even without considering the wheel on the wrong side, there's something about the raw appearance and patina that grabs attention. There are some stress cracks in places and it has its share of stone chips that you'd expect to see from a 32 year old car. Sure, for my asking price you could very easily do a light cosmetic resto and still be under the budget of most other Cobras for sale, but to me that would wash away some of the character that makes this car interesting.

Australian buyers - I have all documentation including the Australian Customs vehicle import approval papers. This is the documentation required to register the car in each state of Australia.

US buyers - you have enough cool Cobras over there already so leave this one alone!

International buyers - many countries including Australia have incredibly tight and restrictive laws regarding importing Cobra replicas. As a result, it's very difficult to find a Cobra for sale that has a perfect documentation history to prove that the car is absolutely, definitely 30+ years old. I have the original purchase documents for this car, from the Arntz Engineering Company invoice dated 20 July 1980 showing the chassis number, to the first Connecticut "Composite Motor Vehicle Inspection Report" dated 6 August 1981, plus a folder full of various receipts, engine specs, details of subsequent modifications and upgrades, sales documents, original Arntz advertisement, etc, etc.

Current spec:

Manufacturer: Arntz Industries (San Francisco, California)
First registered in the US in 1981.

Engine set back about 5" further than any other Cobra model that I've ever seen.
355 cubic inch Chevrolet.
4 bolt mains
Factory steel crank
Pink rods bushed for fully floating pins
Forged pistons (10.5:1 comp)
64cc 492 angle plug heads
Comp Cams solid roller camshaft
Rev kit
Roller rockers
Victor Jr manifold
Edelbrock/Weber carb
Unilite distributor
Ram horn headers and under car exhaust, exiting at rear of car (remember that side pipes are legal on this car if you choose to go with the deep classic sound)

4 speed manual trans:
M22 Muncie close ratio coarse spline
(These are affectionately called rock-crusher transmissions. Reduced helical angle of gears make 1st, 2nd 3rd almost sound like straight cut gears - sounds great!)
Hurst Comp Plus shifter
Alloy flywheel
Scattershield

Rear:
1967 Jag Independent Rear Suspension
XJ6 bearing carriers
3.55:1 ratio
Wilwood Dynalite rear calipers

Floor mounted pedal assembly with three remote 3/4 bore Tilton reservoirs
Balance bar for front/rear brake bias adjustment

Front:
Arntz normally used MGB bolt-in front suspension, but this car has a custom front end
Camaro spindles, rotors and brakes
1967 MGB Steering Column

15x8 Appliance Alloy wheels with 255/60/15 front tyres
15xhuge rear with 295/50/15 tyres (Look at the dish of the rim in the photos to see what I mean!)

Alloy fuel cell

4" core radiator with electric fan

Holley street electric fuel pump

Stewart Warner gauges
Speedo, Tach, Water Temp, Oil Pressure, Volts, Fuel Level

Battery in the boot(trunk)

Snug fitting tonneau cover with zip down the middle. No soft top.

UPDATE: Scott OZVENOM has now fitted the rollbar after a few of the Qld Club members looked at me with a strange puzzled look when I said I liked the look of the car without the rollbar. It's painted black and I'll upload some new pictures soon.

I could go on and on. Like I said, this car is not brand new and that's just the way I like it. It's perfectly imperfect. That being the case, there are a few general maintenance things that I'll have sorted prior to the sale. If someone buys it before the maintenance is performed, the price will be tweaked accordingly. Any inspection welcome. Can assist with transport.

Price in the high $40s, give or take. PM me or email
craigmarsh777
@
gmail
dot
com
and I can send you my phone number or additional photos.

Last edited by 750hp; 08-28-2013 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: Rollbar is now installed
Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Always liked the Artnz/Butlers. The body shape was always just right and the frame was the best in the industry. Best of luck.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Thor. Of the early replicas, I really like the Arntz, Contemporary and ERA cars and was looking all over for one with the required documentation. This one is inflicted with Chevy-itis which you can well relate to, but Chevs in cobras are less of an issue with enthusiasts over here. Someone who has been involved with the local Cobra Club for 20 years said it best yesterday when he commented on the fact that there isn't a drama in the club between owners of different manufacturer's cars. Everyone respects each other's car and each is perfect for the owner, because they own it and they enjoy it. Can't really ask for more than that.
Wazza likes this.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

It really is a great thing about the scene here and it is foreever evolving with the guys the like of Pace and ByDesign and the flare some here have to produce showpiece cars out of the back shed!!
I hope you find a good home for the Arntz!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 06-03-2013 at 08:59 AM..
Old 06-03-2013, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Sweet car, looks like a cemetery in the background in the pictures...
Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

----------

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 06-03-2013 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: Hijacked
Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Sweet car, looks like a cemetery in the background in the pictures...
Nothing quite so macabre. They're grape vines at a local winery. We had a buffet breakfast inside the wine cellar on the weekend. Not only that, but the club paid for everyone!

OZ, you bloody stirrer!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
.......OZ, you bloody stirrer!
Craig
I thought I'd delete and avoid the hijack of the thread seeing you had spent so much time on the Original post!!
Best of luck.... Those rears have nearly as much dish as a DRB!!

Old 06-03-2013, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Replica Motor Company
Not Ranked     

It appears from the photos that the Arntz used MGB bonnet hinges for the hood.
On my RMC series 3 I used the same for both the bonnet and bootie ilo TR 4 hinges and they worked well.

Last edited by justcobra; 06-03-2013 at 03:24 PM..
Old 06-03-2013, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Neutral     

I cant see this being for sale for long.

In OZ these rarely come up, full documentation, old school charm, bad ass possibilities, bugger all rego issues accross all states....... should be a no brainer purchase for someone looking to have a left hooker.

Also worth noting that there is a ton of room in these for taller lads........ not cramped in the footbox at all.

To the new purchaser..... whoever that will be... well done.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX3021 Keith Craft 428fe
Not Ranked     

Good luck Craig. Should sell quickly I'd imagine at that price. Looks cool without the roll bar.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Lovely car Craig. I have a 45 year old LHD here now (non-Cobra) and the configuration really adds to to the special driving experience. I would have no qualms about LHD.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Merv, certainly agree. Don't know what you have, but if it is a convertible it is certainly easier to live with in LHD than a coupe/hardtop from my experience.

But LHD in a Cobra is really easy to live with as the visibility is just so good out of a Cobra. My wife has extensively driven both LHD American Muscle cars and LHD Cobra's and said the LHD Cobra's are far easier to drive here due to the much better visibility, smaller size etc.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My Chevelle has some vision issues, but I think it's more to do with the 8/71 blower than the LHD configuration
My only issue with the Cobra is when I drive it to work, I have to slide out of the seat and sit on the trans tunnel to reach over and swipe my ID tag to lift the boom gate for our secure car park. Almost without fail, the driver of the car behind me starts laughing...!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gee if its got such good vision and is soooo easy to drive why dont u back through the gate. Should be just as quick. Hope u aint selling it because of that issue.
Nice car, good luck with the sale.
Bruce
OZCOBRA likes this.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Replica Motor Company
Not Ranked     

Wrong guages etc and quality is not to my standards.
This Arntzs reminds me of Bolwell Mark 7 that I have bought back in the seventies for $1200 which had stress cracks and needed full restoration.
$1200 was alot of money then!
Your price around the high $40k is very optimistic and there are better examples Cobra's on offer.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mate, I'm not sure what your go is. A little while ago you wanted to be walked through the minefield of importing a car. I and others tried to help you, but you didn't get it.

Some people understand the attraction of an old Cobra replica with the associated patina, but some people don't get it.

Some people appreciate that bullsh!t comments about quality "not to my standards" show poor form in a thread where someone is offering their car for sale, but some people don't get it.

Clearly champ, you and I are on a different planet. I don't get you, and I think that's probably a good thing.

If I'm ever seeking feedback or opinions about my Arntz, I might ask for your opinion only after I've heard from the dozens and dozens of guys on this forum whose opinion I value and respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcobra View Post
Wrong guages etc and quality is not to my standards.
This Arntzs reminds me of Bolwell Mark 7 that I have bought back in the seventies for $1200 which had stress cracks and needed full restoration.
$1200 was alot of money then!
Your price around the high $40k is very optimistic and there are better examples Cobra's on offer.
Aussie Mike, boxhead, mate and 6 others like this.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good call Craig.
I see there is a Like button I wish there was a Flip Off Finger Button also, i would have used it about an hour ago.
Yours is a good car and didn't warrant that type of comment. I have had the pleasure to meet Ron Butler and see a number of the Artnz and Butler in the flesh here in the US and in my knowledge and understanding of the Australian market $40k is a good price.
All the best
Bruce
Old 06-09-2013, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

The Artnz/Butlers are fantastic cars. In my opinion one of the best and today for updates just change the front end from the MGB to a more modern design and you are ready to rock and roll. I always thought if a good Artnz/Butler came up I would make a trade. Best of luck.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcobra View Post
I'm sorry, but I couldn't DISAGREE more on both your points...

What Peter says about Paul, tells me more about Peter than Paul
By voicing those opinions of yours you have shown me that you lack any imagination. Just think of the possibilities.

For that money, I'm awfully tempted...
If I wasn't so tied up in other investments, I'd I've bought it twice!

Best of luck with the sale.
macloft likes this.