Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Dax Torsion test

Hi folks,

I'm busy building a Dax De-Dion in WA and they require the results of a torsion test on the de-dion chassis.

If anyone has done this test on the Dax de-dion please can I ask you to get in contact with me?

Thanks
Pete
Old 11-12-2013, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom, BF XR8 260kw, 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
Hi folks,

I'm busy building a Dax De-Dion in WA and they require the results of a torsion test on the de-dion chassis.

If anyone has done this test on the Dax de-dion please can I ask you to get in contact with me?

Thanks
Pete
Hi Pete,

My 2c, I wouldn't shy away from building your own rig. I did it using some scrap steel lying around. It's a very simple test.

If you want some details I'm happy to PM you on your email, as I'll make some drawings.

Sevenohms
Old 11-13-2013, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax -fuel inj 383 chevy
Send a message via Yahoo to 427 sam
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks
Pete
Hi the guy you need to talk with is Dave Brooks here in the UK, he is the foremost builder of Dax cars with over a hundred so far, his web address DB Replicas Cobra Build Agent info@v8cobra.com phone DBreplicas (+uk code) phone 01782777499 or 07785702005. or you may like to try the uk cobra club forum. hope the info helps, regards Sam
Old 11-13-2013, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi sevenohms, you have a PM.

Hi Sam, I've already been in touch with Dave, he's given me a lead which I'm also chasing. I've been in touch with Dax also, I would have though they'd have the results of any UK required test on their chassis, but no joy from them either.

As yet I haven't heard of anyone who's done this test on the de-dion chassis.

Thanks
Pete
Old 11-15-2013, 02:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom, BF XR8 260kw, 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi sevenohms, you have a PM.

Hi Sam, I've already been in touch with Dave, he's given me a lead which I'm also chasing. I've been in touch with Dax also, I would have though they'd have the results of any UK required test on their chassis, but no joy from them either.

As yet I haven't heard of anyone who's done this test on the de-dion chassis.

Thanks
Pete
Hi Pete. I've sent you an email on your home account. It's from my Hotmail, so it might be in your junk mail.

Sevenohms
Old 11-15-2013, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Replica Motor Company
Not Ranked     

Suggest that you Google and there should be enough information as to the Torsional Beam Test Procedure or else these Professional Mechanical Engineers charge around $1200 plus for this test.
I have spoken to some Cobra Builders and they are going the same road in respect to this procedure like youself.
For example one guy has welded up a Venom Motorsport chassis and the other has a SA replica chassis which was aquired on Ebay this year.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

There is a guy presumably from Albany WA who had a torsion test rig that he used for doing cobra's etc, think he goes under -albanycobra- IIRC on here or GT40's, Daves his first name, has had both coupes & Gt40's of his own in the past..

Last edited by Jac Mac; 11-15-2013 at 09:01 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Replica Motor Company
Not Ranked     

JacMac. You are referring to Albany Cobra as I did purchase a set of BRM Wheels previously fitted to his RF GT40

A interesting finding!
Old 11-16-2013, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

RMC cobras in Perth have a chassis test rig in their workshop, dont know if that helps.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

The test rig is actually run by Terry Southam from Southam Auto Engineering - Southam Automotive Engineering