Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By 750hp
  • 1 Post By renovationinnov
  • 1 Post By Rog246
  • 7 Post By Modena
  • 1 Post By sinkers46
  • 2 Post By Donunder

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC
Not Ranked     
Smile New member

My name is Jason and I'm from outer Melbourne. In line with the common theme I have always dreamed of building/owning my own AC Cobra. I have finally gotten to a position in life where I can make the next step (wife approved) and have started doing some research and looking, have joined the club and started reading some of your posts.
I am interested in doing a build or partial build and have a background in panel beating / spray painting and metal fabrication and mechanics (jack of all master of none) so a build is not far outside my skill set.
What I have in mind is a part finished project (seems to be many around) that I can personalise to my requirements.
My dream is a big block cobra, I am not interested in racing but a lap or few on a club day is to be expected I will not be driving every day so club registration would suit my needs.
I have looked at an early kit on the Toyota chassis and although it would get me around any emission problems I'm not all that keen on 69 Toyota suspension etc not to mention any re-sale as they don't appear to be highly regarded.
So any advice on kits to avoid or which would or would not suit a BB engine would be appreciated. I have also been informed that even if it is a new registration but on club rego I may not have to comply with the emission requirements. Any experiences??

Sorry to start off with so many questions but now that I have made the decision to buy, I am having trouble containing my excitement.

Thanks
Jason.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Hi Jason,
Welcome aboard! I'm not sure why you are specifically looking for a BB. If it's for the noise, you're in for a world of emissions/ADR compliance pain. If it's for the power, these days you really don't need anything more than a tweaked LS Chev small block to keep up with most big blocks. My 427 FE sounds fabulous through the sidepipes, but it would be less powerful than quite a few SB cobras in the club.
Enjoy the research. Finding out what's available and affordable and achievable is all part of the fun.
Rog246 and Russell9318 like this.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Welcome Jason.
Best of luck with your hunt.
Let us know how you fair, but compared to me, your skill set is over qualified.

Enjoy the ride, part of the fun is the hunt.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     

Jason
welcome
firstly don't I say don't GO NEAR TUCKER [venom motorsports in Pakenham or his ebay site wesellstuff you will never see anything
as a venom motorsport owner you will need all your skills what ever you buy [ partly finished ]project so best of luck hope to see your build thread some time
rob
Rog246 likes this.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

You have a private message.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Welcome Jason, to the madness.
This is a great place to find info, tech advice and smart arse answers to ridiculously stupid questions-enjoy.
Any time the Chief Financial Officer, Chief Cook/bottle washer whatever starts to complain about the cost, just take one of her favourite shoes and hide it for awhile.......she'll (presumably!!) come around !
Rog
Gav likes this.

Harrison #100
Old 03-28-2014, 11:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Jason, one piece of advice, do not hand over any money or commit to anything without coming back here to ask for advice on specific cars (with pics) from the knowledge pool on here. We genuinely do not like to see people buy the bad end of the spectrum due to not asking a simple question!

You can ask about any Cobra on here and there are a tonne of knowledgable people on here who would be genuinely pleased to help.
Gav, Baz, Rog246 and 4 others like this.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Welcome Jason! Congrats on your decision (and your wife's support) to buy a Cobra.

Btw, if you need any help with the paint side (or a booth to paint your new car), feel free to get in touch.

Cheers,
Sime
Old 03-29-2014, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all your support and as per Modena's post I will work out how to post photos and show you an RMC kit that I have found which may suit my needs.
Jason
Rob. Smith likes this.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum Jason.

RMC is known to provide a good basis on which to build your dream, but I wonder if a person with your experience in a range of automotive specialties wouldn't be better starting from scratch. ( You mentioned that you were looking for an uncompleted project and I'm assuming that this is what the RMC is.)

This is coming from someone who is totally without any manual skills whatsoever -- on a good day I can tie my shoe laces first go -- but I've seen in the past where a person has bought a partly completed car which looks OK at first glance, but proves to be one problem after another once the build resumes. Someone with your skills I imagine would want things done "right" and this means you'll probably spend a lot of time and money unpicking things you're not happy with.

There are several excellent manufacturers in Australia now; in fact someone in your position is spoilt for choice. It's an old axiom -- never buy the first car you look at, so I'd be taking the time to investigate what's on offer. Being a Queenslander I'd be suggesting our Absolute Pace or Harrison cars, or for a slightly different take, our long-standing DRB. There are other kits available im Melbourne and the proximity of the manufacturer and local owner/ builders may sway your choice towards one of them.

With your abilities, really, why not start with a clean slate? That way you'll be building the car exactly as YOU want, right from the start, without redoing someone else's work and perhaps having lingering doubts about stuff that you haven't changed, and without having to compromise on any aspect of the build. There are some incredibly knowledgable and highly skilled Cobra guys in the Vic club who will go out their way to help you. Sure they'll have their own preferences as to which kit to go for, but then that's part of the fun, choosing which is just right for you.

Good luck in whichever way you choose to go.
muzzza and Russell9318 like this.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

^^^

Feel free to come and check out my Pace 427SC rolling chassis if you like.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the madness Jason.

Get to a Viccy club meeting, the next meeting I think is next Wednesday I believe.

You might get to spy a car or three but the discussions with members will be invaluable.

Cheers

Steve
Old 04-06-2014, 02:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

See the Victorian Cobra Car Club.

First Wednesday each month is their/our meetings.

Great way to meet 30 to 40 plus owners and builders whom regularly attend.

Warmer meetings will see Cobras parked in the car park.

Regular car runs, shows and social events.

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 04-15-2014, 12:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So, Sinkers, .... any further thoughts?

Remember, if you do decide to go the "partly assembled" route, don't repeat don't, make any decision without enlisting the aid of one or two of the Vic club guys first. Don't be afraid to put your hand up.

There's a nightmare thread over on the US forum that typifies what can go wrong if one jumps in without thoroughly checking the waters ....

Oh Goodness what have I done. Help!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Don,
Still thinking of building a kit. have been to the club meeting and met many good contacts and will continue to get advice from those guys. Will post some photos when I have something in the shed.
Sinkers.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, 302 EFI 5 speed 9"
Not Ranked     

Welcome a-bored Jason

As a unfinished project buyer I can advise you to look at the car thoroughly, then look at it thoroughly, then look at it thoroughly again.
When I first looked at mine I looked at everything that was done and calculated what has already been spent and what is still outstanding to spend to determine a fair purchase price.
The car came with most parts but when you go to fit them and they don't fit the manufacturer/supplier of the parts says bad luck if your were not the original purchaser or if the part was bought to long ago.
I had to remove and rebuild nearly everything that was done and do it again. That makes me paying for it twice!
I bought a DRB built by the original owner/manufacturer but now DRB has a new owner.
Although the owner is helpful he has some limitations on the early chassis.
I have been getting better support from the guys on here.

Don't be put off but check it out. If you can get one that has been engineered it will be much better.
I had mine engineered and full rego but is now on club plates.
The word is that the police will be cracking down on club plated cars as there are many cars on the road that are unsafe but have been signed off by clubs.
These clubs could lose the club rego.
If you have a engineers report you are covered.

Enjoy

Ross