Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By just dreamin
  • 1 Post By 750hp

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     
Default Bringing My Cobra into Australia

I'm thinking about leaving the USA and returning to my former home in Perth.

One of the most important issues for my move will be bringing my Butler Cobra into Australia.

1: I'm looking for advice on what is really involved from the Australian import standpoint.

2: A shipping company that is experienced in doing the move.

As usual, I look forward the knowledgeable responses and advice.

THANKS!!!

Arthur
Old 05-04-2014, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

G'day Arthur, and welcome back ..... eventually.

Those 30 below temps and twelve feet snow drifts finally got to you?
Ready to ditch the anti-freeze and buy an oil cooler?
I'm sure Craig will be able to point you in the right direction regarding bringing your car over here, but it's a slightly different scenario to what we're used to. Still the job should be much easier seeing you'll be able to provide the necessary paperwork required by our Canberra bureaucrats.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donunder View Post
G'day Arthur, and welcome back ..... eventually.

Those 30 below temps and twelve feet snow drifts finally got to you?
Ready to ditch the anti-freeze and buy an oil cooler?
I'm sure Craig will be able to point you in the right direction regarding bringing your car over here, but it's a slightly different scenario to what we're used to. Still the job should be much easier seeing you'll be able to provide the necessary paperwork required by our Canberra bureaucrats.
YES! And my first case of frostbite got my attention. + my working career is winding down and it's time to spend some time with my Mother in her last years. I've got a lot to figure out regarding my retirement benifets, Social Security, etc. It is time to start planning.

I'm looking forward to hearing from Craig. And if Canberra has a website that publishes the ruling. I guess I can look for that myself too. But it helpful to have first hand advice.

My Cobra already has an oil cooler with bypass temperature control
Old 05-05-2014, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

I believe a personal import category is still the best option if the car has been registered in your name and used by you for at least 12 months overseas. Many options re shipping to OZ, depends where you need it to go and price etc.
boxhead likes this.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Hi Arthur. I've just sent you a PM. Getting it here is easy, given personal import category as just dreamin mentioned. Registering it will involve some significant re-engineering though. All things considered, it might be best for you to bring it over and sell all of your incredible custom bits to me. Everyone's a winner!
lal Naja likes this.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
Hi Arthur. I've just sent you a PM. Getting it here is easy, given personal import category as just dreamin mentioned. Registering it will involve some significant re-engineering though. All things considered, it might be best for you to bring it over and sell all of your incredible custom bits to me. Everyone's a winner!
Okay! Ship the car to you, you pull all the goodies and install on your car. Great plan. But I won't live long enough to build another judging from how long it took to build this one.

Converting to Right Hand drive will be a total PITA. I don't think I'd bother to bring it if that were the case. But I'd have to give a great deal of thought before I finally decide.

I do have the Butler Racing Manufacturers Certificate of Origin showing the manufacture date as July 1986. This makes it more than the 15 year age if it is an acceptable document.

The vehicle is Titled in Illinois with the VIN number BRI786042

Year is shown as: 1965. Make is shown as: AC. Some how they missed the word Cobra. Fecking! State department cannot ever do anything right. I may have to go back and have them change the Title if it becomes a legal issue. Unless they looked up president and think it is actually mace by Auto Carriage the maker of the AC Bristol. But who knows what they were not thinking.

By the time I actually make it to Perth I would have driven the car for over a year so no problem with that. It is coming to terms with the 15 year age to keep it Left Hand Drive.

I'll send copied of the paper work to family in Perth and have them actually go to the authorities and speak to a real English speaking person and get some facts.

Thanks for the lengthy PM you sent with the facts. I've read through the forms and I have some questions which I'll ask for your input later on.

Thanks, Arthur